Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 02-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Dog Gone It.

Default Best Vacuum Food Sealer & Length of Storage

Advertise Here

I am thinking about purchasing one of those food vacuum sealers like Seal-a-Meal. I'd like some opinions on which is the best vacuum sealer and I'd also like to know how long food stored in this method can be expected to last. I know the length of storage depends on the type of food being stored, so please just give me you thoughts on whether vacuum sealers are a good way to go or a waste of money, and if they are a good means of storing food which sealers work the best. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:58 AM

I've had the Food-Saver vacuum sealer for about 2 years and it hasn't let me down yet. The bags occassionally "spring a leak"...but that may be solved by buying thicker bags ((not available in the stores)). I'm still working on my short term items, so haven't gotten around to checking prices on the thicker bags...or even where to get them. The website www.dehydrate2storecom can also give you some hints-n-tips on longer term storage of vacuum sealed foods.

Here's my typical usage...
powdered milk - buy the big box, seal it up in smaller bags
instant potatoes - same thing, 5lb bag of flakes & seal into smaller bags
pasta - I hate trying to store pasta in boxes...use cheaper baggies inside vac seal bags to help keep pasta from poking holes in vac seal bag
dried beans
rice

{{arg - just went brain dead lol }} Anyway, you'll get loads of ideas from other posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to vhbrown2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,702 Times in 502 Posts

Where can I get thicker bags that work with the Food-Saver?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Dog Gone It.

I think I have answered my own question. I did a net search and came up with this website:

http://www.galttech.com/research/hou...ealer-bags.php

rgswaim - there is a link at the bottom for purchasing the bags for the FoodSaver.

I'm going to purchase the FoodSaver Advanced Design V2840 Vacuum Sealer Kit and see how it does.

I would still like to know what other people's experience has been using the vacuum sealer for long term storage, please.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Three Rings in Five Years

Thanked 27,767 Times in 14,574 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Go to Foodsavers website and sign up for their email alerts. I got their top of the line model for 66% off with free shipping. Be patient. The only thing I didn't like about is was it's not the stainless version, but the black version.

The Foodsaver works very well. You can use it with mylar if you are careful. There are youtube videos on how to do it.

www.dehydrate2store.com is a great resource. It really is about the bags though. I have gone so far as to seal my dry goods in the Foodsaver with an O2 absorber, then in a mylar. Yeah it's overkill, but in a pinch I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Another benefit of the vacuum sealer is a space saver. I have some clean socks and underwear in my GHB/BOB. They are vacuum sealed and take up 1/3 the space.

Good luck on your choice. If I had it to do over, I'd look into a commercial like the lady on www.dehydrate2store.com uses.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,103 Times in 32,973 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayso View Post
I am thinking about purchasing one of those food vacuum sealers like Seal-a-Meal. I'd like some opinions on which is the best vacuum sealer and I'd also like to know how long food stored in this method can be expected to last. I know the length of storage depends on the type of food being stored, so please just give me you thoughts on whether vacuum sealers are a good way to go or a waste of money, and if they are a good means of storing food which sealers work the best. Thanks.
Vacuum sealing is not ideal for long term storage. That's what mylar and O2 absorbers are for. But it is ideal for keeping foods for a couple years or so. This works out handy for home dehydrated veggies and such, since you will be rotating through them and replacing them with next year's crops.

The problem is that the vacuum bags are not completely impervious to air, so after a couple years, they begin to leak. This is no big deal for foods intended to be used in 2-3 years. But not ideal for something you want to put away for 20+. Also, vacuum sealing doesn't remove as much O2 as an O2 absorber would anyway, so even if the bags didn't leak, it still wouldn't be a good idea to use it for long term food storage.

As for which brand is best, a lot of us are using the Food Saver series with good results.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Dog Gone It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Vacuum sealing is not ideal for long term storage. That's what mylar and O2 absorbers are for. But it is ideal for keeping foods for a couple years or so. This works out handy for home dehydrated veggies and such, since you will be rotating through them and replacing them with next year's crops.

The problem is that the vacuum bags are not completely impervious to air, so after a couple years, they begin to leak. This is no big deal for foods intended to be used in 2-3 years. But not ideal for something you want to put away for 20+. Also, vacuum sealing doesn't remove as much O2 as an O2 absorber would anyway, so even if the bags didn't leak, it still wouldn't be a good idea to use it for long term food storage.

As for which brand is best, a lot of us are using the Food Saver series with good results.
Could O2 absorbers be put in the vacuum bag along with the food before sealing to help increase the long term storage time? Has anyone tried doing that?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Dog Gone It.

Well, now I've changed my mind about purchasing a FoodSaver brand vacuum sealer. I've spent the last 2 hours researching for the best food vacuum sealer for my budget. I want a high quality machine that has a good record of dependabilty that will last me for many years. I have read reviews on many different machines and it seems to me the VacUpack Vacuum Sealer for under $300 is the best and most reliable one.

If anyone has any experience with VacUpack sealer I would love to hear your review of this machine. The information about the VacUpack says that it will work with several different bags types made by other manufacturers. And I think it's best feature is that you can vacuum pack foods with liquids without fear of ruining the machine. It was designed to pump out excess liquids as it seals. Another good feature is that there are spare parts available in case repair is necessary, which is NOT a feature of many of the other home-use vacuum sealers.

Here is a link to more information about the VacUpack Vacuum Sealer for anyone who may be looking to purchase a vacuum sealer.

http://www.officialvacupack.com/prod...roducts_id=121

And here is a link to amazon.com 's customer review of this vacuum sealer.

http://www.amazon.com/Vacupack-Vacuum-Packer-Original-Sealer/product-reviews/B000FDN7D4/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
Old 02-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,392 Posts

Strange. I've had my foodsaver for over 8 years and never a problem. And it's a fairly cheap one too (vac 500 probably paid less then $50. They don't even have a manual for it). It did come with a hose for hooking up to other attachments but lacking in many of the niceties.
The bags don't work well with liquid, but fine with the attachment for jars.

About the only thing I do to it is put a drop or two light mineral oil in the pump every 10 hours of use.(once a year)
Old 02-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,103 Times in 32,973 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayso View Post
Could O2 absorbers be put in the vacuum bag along with the food before sealing to help increase the long term storage time? Has anyone tried doing that?
You can use O2 absorbers OR a vacuum, but not both. O2 absorbers don't work right in a vacuum. They require the headspace gas to work.

The best way is to always just follow what the long term food storage companies are doing. They're already doing it the right way. Trying to second guess and improvise can cause problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Dog Gone It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
You can use O2 absorbers OR a vacuum, but not both. O2 absorbers don't work right in a vacuum. They require the headspace gas to work.

The best way is to always just follow what the long term food storage companies are doing. They're already doing it the right way. Trying to second guess and improvise can cause problems.

Thank you Mike for answering that question for me. I wondered if O2 would work or not when vacuum packing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kayso For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Look Behind You!!

Thanked 2,258 Times in 978 Posts

I do the bag in bag method. When I buy rice I cut the top off the bag and put that bag into the food saver "freezer" type bag. Seal both togeher and it comes out great.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 PM

from my observations, most of the failures in the vac-seal bags are from sharp edges poking thru the plastic as they are vac-ed down, i have all but eliminated this prob by folding a peice of wax paper, in an envelope like config then placing it in the bag and putting the items in the middle of the wax envelope and then a label from my printer listing the date created and instructions for re-hydration,
i have found the easiest way to accumulate a food storage program is to utilize leftovers daily from our dinner table, dehydrate and vacume seal, add in things like plastic cutlery, condiment packages from fast food joints and powdered drink mix as well as all kinds of other creature comforts, candy, mints, wet-nap, even a TP ration, and i am building my own MRE's by a passive process without extra expenses... (not much, anyway), and oh yeah, i picked up both my dehydrator and my food saver from craigs list for a whopping total of $27 bucks
Old 02-07-2011, 11:58 PM

What model Foodsaver are you guys going with?