Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Boating and Fishing
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 PM

Default DIY boat on the cheap

Advertise Here

I don't know why I didn't think to post this before, but here it is: http://www.thecardboardboatbook.com/ . It's my understanding that this guy still has and uses the original one he built as a college project some 30 years ago.

Thoughts anyone?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CntrySngr For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,354 Times in 763 Posts

Definitely a great idea for those who live in flood zones!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Target Shooter

That's really cool. As long as you waterproof it I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work just fine. Now I wanna make one!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Prepared

that is great for a fun project. if i make one it would be more like a joh fishing boat.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Titleless

Thanked 1,210 Times in 532 Posts

Through the ages, boats have been built from almost every conceivable material. Concrete, reeds, bark, paper, cardboard, you name it, someone, somewhere has tried it. The unique thing about this endeavor is the use of acrylic waterproofing. Most in the past used varnish or fiberglass resin or epoxy resin to gain waterproofing.

For putzing around on the water, I like it. Not enough puncture strength for any serious use though, IMO.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:48 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

research "stitch and glue" boats. real boats, cheap, light, strong, attractive.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Prepared

searched "stitch and glue" and found some very nice ones. they did not say what they cost untill you buy the plans. there were a few free plans too.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:12 PM

There are really cheap boats available if you just want a cheap boat (decent inflatables and foldable kayaks can be as little as $200-$300). Building a boat though is an adventure all its own, and can be quite fun. Building a boat takes hours (sometimes even hundreds of hours) and the cost of materials can often match or exceed the cost of a cheap off the shelf boats.
Materials alone on a decent quality ply wood boat will run hundreds of dollars, if not more. The plans can run close to a hundred dollars, but some free plans also exist. Ply wood boats also often require a lot of tools that most people do not own, like dozens of clamps, palm sanders, and wood working knives that could cost hundreds of dollars in addition to the cost of materials. If you are not looking for a 50+ hour time investment and a learning curve, buying a decent quality off the shelf inflatable boat for a few hundred dollars might be a better investment. If you do decide to build a boat, they can be a lot of fun and a building material to explore using for an emergency boat is corregated plastic. It is starting to see use by some manufacturers of small boats and kayaks and is relatively inexpensive as far as materials go (cheaper and lighter than wood). There was a company at one point a while ago that was investigating making emergency folding boats out of corregated cardboard but they may never have successfully launched the product. The boats were supposed to fold in seconds and serve as an emergency escape craft in the event of a flood. We have been investigating getting ahold of one of these designs to include on our site, but it has been a process. You may be able to find suggestions for building a DIY boat with Corregated Plastics, but if you can't and would like to learn more, let me know and we will renew our efforts to secure or put together some corregated plastic boat designs.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 PM

Most original home made 'boat' ever. Dirt cheap too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thejamtin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Target Shooter

Ok, snazzy as the cardboard boat was, that bottle island is downright awesome!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:32 AM

WOW! That island is incredible. I'm thinking that laundry soap bottles and those 5 gallon water jugs would make the building go faster than 3 years, but either way, that's a labor of love I would definitely undertake.