Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 01-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,999 Times in 6,731 Posts
Default Beef jerky in mylar bags

Advertise Here

Has anyone every stored beef jerky in mylar bags + oxygen absorbers? I'am wondering how it would work out? Maybe add some salt to help preserve the meat?

I see a lot of people talking about storing rice, beans, and other stuff, but little talk about a way to store protein foods.

If native American Indians could store pemmican in buffalo hides, why couldn't we store jerky in mylar bags?

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2011, 05:33 PM
I CHOOSE LIBERTY!

Thanked 1,867 Times in 886 Posts

I thought about this too, Kev. I'm not sure it will store for more than a year due to the moisture content & fat getting rancid. I'm sure someone else with experience will chime in to set things straight for us all.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 57,104 Times in 17,320 Posts

I'll let you know in (6) Months, I'm ready ready to make a batch so I'll bag a few sticks up and see what happens. I'll cut cut up a small bag and throw in 1000cc's.

I have to brag here, I make the world best jerky. I have neighbors and family put orders in all the time. The key is the soak time with the flank steak and the amount of brown sugar you mix in.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,710 Times in 6,123 Posts

Unless you get that jerky as dry as cardboard, I would be concerned that the moisture left inside the meat will build up on the inside of the Mylar and reconstitute it. Leather and Buffalo hides can absorb and wic away moisture. Mylar can not. I have had homemade batches go bad in a few months stored in airtight plastic bags but stay good for a year in paper bags. A desiccant may be helpful though.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2011, 06:13 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,609 Times in 798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Has anyone every stored beef jerky in mylar bags + oxygen absorbers? I'am wondering how it would work out? Maybe add some salt to help preserve the meat?

I see a lot of people talking about storing rice, beans, and other stuff, but little talk about a way to store protein foods.

If native American Indians could store pemmican in buffalo hides, why couldn't we store jerky in mylar bags?
I don't see why not. All the beef jerky I purchase comes with absorbers and they last for years past the expiration date. I guess you just need to make sure they are really dry.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,768 Times in 3,007 Posts

I've made deer jerky and kept it in a paper sack in the pantry for at least six months. It was dried to the point that it would snap when bent double but still tasted good and would rehydrate when you gnawed on it for awhile.

I'd much rather open a mason jar of beef,pork, or chicken than have to eat jerky.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,710 Times in 6,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldparanoia View Post
I don't see why not. All the beef jerky I purchase comes with absorbers and they last for years past the expiration date. I guess you just need to make sure they are really dry.
Those are desiccants not 02 absorbers. Silica packets most of the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Hunter

Maybe a desiccant & an absorber? That what I would try.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 97,220 Times in 31,891 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

If you dry the beef to the hard stage, it keeps great. But the slightest moisture and it wants to mold up after a while.

Commercial jerky gets around this with all the chemicals and that odd marinade that forms a sort of plastic feel on the meat. Commercial jerky doesn't tend to mold, but it gets really bland tasting after a while and begins to smell funny.

Home made can outlast it with a good dose of smoke and salt. Keeping it dry is the key. Even then, the spices from the marinade will start to loose their flavor over time. I don't know the solution to that yet. It's something I've been trying to solve for years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2011, 08:05 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 97,220 Times in 31,891 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
Maybe a desiccant & an absorber? That what I would try.
The dessicant makes the O2 absorber not work. And the O2 absorbers do give off a little bit of moisture as they work so the meat has to be very dry or that little boost in humidity might cause it to mold.

They put a pack in with commercial jerky, but I don't remember if it's a dessicant or an O2 absorber. Since that jerky is designed to be slightly moist, I'm guessing it's an O2 absorber. But next time I open a bag with a packet inside, I'll take a look and see what it is.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 PM
Just the facts, Ma'am.

Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,178 Posts

I haven't tried long term storage for jerky yet. I can't make enough for it to last past a week anyway. I have heard that honey is an anti-fungal agent. I always use a good bit of honey in the marinade I brush on while dehydrating. I'll vacuum pack some next time I make it.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMan View Post
I'll let you know in (6) Months, I'm ready ready to make a batch so I'll bag a few sticks up and see what happens. I'll cut cut up a small bag and throw in 1000cc's.

I have to brag here, I make the world best jerky. I have neighbors and family put orders in all the time. The key is the soak time with the flank steak and the amount of brown sugar you mix in.

I thought I make the worlds best jerky?? I'm guessing you make it the old fashioned way like I do, all natural, no nitrates, etc.

I'd like to try yours though if you're up for a trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to messiah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2011, 01:41 AM
Look Behind You!!

Thanked 2,255 Times in 977 Posts

I think the only way to store beef jerky long term is can it in oil. I have done this with smoked salmon for years and let me tell you it comes out awesome. It will store well for years and you will be happy you did.
The Following User Says Thank You to dhawk For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 AM
Watching, Waiting....

Thanked 2,506 Times in 830 Posts

Should be done with a deep dehydration. The jerky should be cut ultra-thin and after the dehydration process it should snap like a cracker almost...Like brittle paper.

O2 absorber, remove all air, and keep from light.

Should be good for a long time.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:44 AM
Big Boss Daddy

Long term storage for Jerky? I found that no matter how much I make, it's usually gone within the week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ALPHARAMM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:

I searched but couldn't find where you posted the results of your test.

Please share any updates to the storage of jerky.

I don't eat a lot of it, but I would really like to include a small amount in my get home bag, to supplement the other food in the bag. Since the bag is kept in my truck, I probably need to change out the jerky at least once per year (I usually change out the food at 1/2 life since the heat of the vehicle takes a toll on the food storage in the bag).

Please update if you wouldn't mind - - - or if anyone else has an update, it would be appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to TexSurvivalGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 26,543 Times in 13,876 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Quote:

I'm absolutely bugging out to Ohioman's place now.

If I could get jerky to last long enough to find out, I'd store it in mylar and then in the freezer. That might get it to last a year. But it gets eaten so fast around here the Excalibut could run 24/7/365.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Livin on the Edge

I live fairly close to the High Country store. I'll stop in and ask em how long they think they can keep jerky around. Pretty friendly bunch in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldWolf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2011, 04:05 AM

i make venison burger jerky very low fat content dehdrate til it snaps 2 ears ago put a small bag in freezer took out after it had been in there a little over a year tasted good lasted about 4 months in fridge had it hidden but children found it a little bit each day makes the job easier
Old 10-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,306 Times in 3,899 Posts
Default Incorrect Info .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
The dessicant makes the O2 absorber not work. And the O2 absorbers do give off a little bit of moisture as they work so the meat has to be very dry or that little boost in humidity might cause it to mold.

They put a pack in with commercial jerky, but I don't remember if it's a dessicant or an O2 absorber. Since that jerky is designed to be slightly moist, I'm guessing it's an O2 absorber. But next time I open a bag with a packet inside, I'll take a look and see what it is.

You can combo desiccant (food grade) and 02 absorbers, if necessary or if you just desire the security of having extra moisture control ...... not sure where you came to this conclusion or info .....

Again, not sure where your statement on 02 absorbers giving off harmful moisture is coming from ..... much talk on the prepper sites about using hand warmers vs 02 absorbers .... measureable moisture is a byproduct of the chem reaction of hand warmers ..... but no moisture concern with 02 absorbers ......
The Following User Says Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post: