Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 01-30-2011, 07:41 PM

Default LDS Pinto Beans

Advertise Here

I am going to can some pinto beans tomorrow so I was washing and sorting the beans to soak them overnight. While sorting the beans, I found 42 stones in about 3/4 of a #10 can. I just wanted to warn you all to make sure you check the beans carefully before using them. There seemed to be at least one stone in every handful I pulled out.

You can't beat the price and I'm not complaining cause I always look beans over before using them. The stones did not look like beans and were easy to spot. Otherwise, they were good quality. I'm going to order a few more cases of them along with some rice and oats.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubylee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Bleach blonde on fire :p

Thanked 9,334 Times in 3,761 Posts

OK this may be a stupid question but why you canning dried beans?

They actually store better and longer dried....I save my canning jars for meats and veges I cant dehydrate.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Vampire Slayer

Thanked 9,517 Times in 3,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncmomx2 View Post

They actually store better and longer dried....I save my canning jars for meats and veges I cant dehydrate.
Its not a stupid question. Yes, they store longer dried, but cooking dried beans takes time, water and fuel. Canned beans can be heated or eaten straight from the jar. I store both dried and canned.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Buffy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Listen to Johnny Cash

Thanked 2,615 Times in 953 Posts

I've found as well there are a LOT of stones and mud clumps in their beans, but for the price, i'll take the extra few minutes to clean them.
The Following User Says Thank You to britzen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncmomx2 View Post

That's not a stupid question LOL. I should have been more specific. I can them with pork jowl and onions. My husband and kids LOVE pinto beans that way. I make enough to do 14 qts. (I have a big canner) and end up with a big pot left over for dinner that night.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubylee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Bleach blonde on fire :p

Thanked 9,334 Times in 3,761 Posts

We bring the beans to a boil then place in a box with insulation (blankets and straw) around them where they continue to cook till we need them later in the day.

Here is a vid on doing beans with only 15 minutes of fuel.......

Here is a youtube vid on cooking them in less than 50 minutes.....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rncmomx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Trapper

With a pressure canner/cooker isn't the cook time cut way down? I agree with the reasoning for canning the beans cooked and the method described here sounds great. We order the dehydrated refried beans simply because that's how we typically eat all our beans but also when the time comes to prepare them we only need to boil a cup of water per cup of dehydrated beans. Thanks for the advice on thoroughly checking the pintos. I have several cans in the basement.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:15 AM

Yes, the cooking time is cut down a lot with a pressure canner. I just soak them overnight then change the water. (Save the old water for your plants, it's good for them.) Then I add the onion, seasoning and pork jowl and bring them to a boil, simmer for about 30 minutes then fill the jars. They've done most of their expanding by then so you fill the jars exactly like you want them to turn out. (We like a lot of bean juice). Then process them at 90 minutes for quarts at the pressure which is appropriate for your elevation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubylee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Beginner's Mind

Thanked 2,897 Times in 996 Posts

I just put a batch of LDS beans in for soaking this morning and had the same experience as the OP. Lots of bean sized rocks but easy to see.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jungatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 AM
VIP Member

As far as the LDS cannery beans, it seems like I can go years without finding a pebble but then I get a sack that makes up for it. But agreed, some of the cheapest beans you can find.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Prepared

LDS beans...do they get to rule planets of other beans if they follow all of the temple rituals? Sorry, but I had to ask!

Seriously, are the beans cheaper than the big bags at Sams Club? I used to find far more rocks in pintos, but seem to find few lately.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:46 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo99 View Post
LDS beans...do they get to rule planets of other beans if they follow all of the temple rituals? Sorry, but I had to ask!

Seriously, are the beans cheaper than the big bags at Sams Club? I used to find far more rocks in pintos, but seem to find few lately.
Shop around. There are local stores that sell beans cheaper but you usually have to buy 100 pound bag. 100 pounds is too much for me to handle by myself. Just make some phone calls and see what you can find.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Prepared

Just what you'd need during a SHTF scenario. There you are trying to conserve everything and you break a tooth on a rock in your LDS beans.

Thanks, OP. I just made my first purchase from them last week. I'll keep an eye out (and my teeth in!)
Old 02-07-2011, 12:47 AM
VIP Member

Last time I checked on ANY package of beans, there was a warning to wash and sort beans as there may be small stones in them. I have found stones in most store bought dry beans. I think it has been like that my entire life. I guess people can find something to complain about with anything. I don't understand why finding some stones in dry beans is all that remarkable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
Last time I checked on ANY package of beans, there was a warning to wash and sort beans as there may be small stones in them. I have found stones in most store bought dry beans. I think it has been like that my entire life. I guess people can find something to complain about with anything. I don't understand why finding some stones in dry beans is all that remarkable.
It could be remarkable if you broke a tooth during a SHTF situation when a dentist wasn't available or you couldn't afford one anyway. But people can use some common sense and check them over if they know to expect it. Sounds like they are using beans that have not been precleaned, which is why they can sell them cheaper. That's okay...cheap is good!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Molōn Labe!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 2

I've got to echo this. I don't want to be chomping down on some beans and break a tooth, but this is quite common in beans across the board, and not only limited to LDS beans. During the separation process, not all of the small particles are sifted out. So, for any quantity, always do a separation. With beans, you'll need to soak them anyway prior to cooking to cut down on the cooking time... fuel will be pricier as time goes by after all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BakCompat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 98,233 Times in 32,078 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
I've found an aweful lot of stones in store bought beans too. And still managed to crunch down on one occasionally even after what I thought was a thorough sorting and cleaning. It's just one of the hazards I guess. I often find other species of beans mixed in too. They're not very careful at the packing houses.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I think if you read my original post, I stated that I was not complaining. I was simply trying to warn others that there are MORE stones in LDS beans than I have ever found in store bought beans. Sheesh, I guess some people will criticize any post, even if it is just meant to be helpful. I find that remarkable.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:46 PM

I have used the LDS Cannery beans many times, (in fact had some last night) and I have never found stones in them. I am sure I will someday however I thought I would share my experience with you.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:26 AM

Thier stratigicly placed so you dont go to sleep while eating your beans......Sheesh!

(I truly love being able to shop the LDS cannery here and really appreciate the people that run it.....Peebles or not!)