Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 21,751 Times in 6,631 Posts
Default Siphoning gas from modern gas tanks?

Advertise Here

I have an old Dodge Dakota--20-gallon gas tank. The truck sits mostly, and it is used only for hauling as needed. I rarely put more than a couple hundred miles a year on it.

That gas tank is part of my gasoline preps. The gas is treated with Pri-G, and the tank is protected with a locking gas cap.

If and when, I have an additional source of 20-gallons of gas for my generator or for whatever.

I've also considered the gasoline in the tanks of my other vehicles to be part of my preps; HOWEVER, many new vehicles have siphon preventers placed in the neck of the filler tube, meaning you can't get a siphon hose down there. And thus, that gas sits, unusable, unless I can find a way.

I don't know a lot about fuel systems--is there an easy, and reversible, way to get gas from such tanks? A way to defeat the siphon preventer?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Professional Amateur

I was told that you need to push something very stiff down the filler tube and break off whatever at the opening of the tank then you're good to go. Not sure what you could use that would be stiff and flexible? Haven't tried it, just passing it along.

D
The Following User Says Thank You to Time Will Tell, huh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Trapper

Just unclamp it at the filler neck. Simple and no breaking crap.
The Following User Says Thank You to joshiedoom For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 21,751 Times in 6,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiedoom View Post
Just unclamp it at the filler neck. Simple and no breaking crap.
The one in my car isn't apparent from the top of the filler neck; what am I unclamping?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:25 AM

Detach the fuel hose under the hood and extend it with another hose if need be. Put the hose in your container. Put in the key and turn it to the "ON" position (not cranking, just on). If it has an electric fuel pump (and it probably does) then it will pump the gas out at lightning speed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buckstar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckstar View Post
Detach the fuel hose under the hood and extend it with another hose if need be. Put the hose in your container. Put in the key and turn it to the "ON" position (not cranking, just on). If it has an electric fuel pump (and it probably does) then it will pump the gas out at lightning speed.
Fuel pumps only prime.... they dont stay on. You have to bridge the relay to get it to do this.

and

Follow the filler neck under the truck. it goes into the tank. Find hose clamp. Undo...
Old 01-30-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Fuel pumps only prime.... they dont stay on. You have to bridge the relay to get it to do this.
I'm not a mechanic but I'm aware of emptying fuel tanks with this method. From what I understand, the pump cuts off when the fuel rail reaches pressure... which it won't do in this situation.

I could easily be wrong with some car types but to have a mechanism that restarts the pump by a means other than by pressure would likely be too complex to be cost effective.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buckstar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Trapper

Quote:
I'm not a mechanic but I'm aware of emptying fuel tanks with this method. From what I understand, the pump cuts off when the fuel rail reaches pressure... which it won't do in this situation.

I could easily be wrong with some car types but to have a mechanism that restarts the pump by a means other than by pressure would likely be too complex to be cost effective.

Go try it and report back then...

Ive done this at least 30 times in the past 3 years to dump full gas tank when the pump assembly dies.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:49 AM
-------Look, I'm grey---^

Quote:

Most vehicles actual time the priming. The pump kicks on for 3-5 seconds and shuts of, not complex at all. The pressure valve will release any excess to the tank through the return line.

So joshiedoom is right. This method(on most modern cars) will not work. Now you can turn the key on and off to force the timer to reset and prime again.
The Following User Says Thank You to SouthernOutdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Recent Blog:
Prepared

I looked into this a couple years ago, and at that time there was a system
available that did use the fuel pump to dispense gas from your vehicle.
I did not buy one because it seemed way overpriced. My memory is a little foggy, but $350 comes to mind.
A few months later I called one of the dealers and was told that the system had been discontinued.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baja For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=Buckstar;2351039]I'm not a mechanic but I'm aware of emptying fuel tanks with this method. From what I understand, the pump cuts off when the fuel rail reaches pressure... which it won't do in this situation.

I could easily be wrong with some car types but to have a mechanism that restarts the pump by a means other than by pressure would likely be too complex to be cost effective

If you locate the fuel pump relay you can remove the relay and jumper the correct terminals so the pump will continue to run and not shut off after priming the system
The Following User Says Thank You to crasen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Trapper

A paperclip and you can bridge the relay, pump stays on. Simple.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,679 Times in 2,724 Posts

Just a word on your locking gas cap: I was in South Florida durig hurricane Andrew. After gas became scarce there were a lot of people stealing gas from other people's cars. Whenever they found a locking gas cap they would just use an ice pick on the gas tank and drain it from underneath.

I think I would rather let them have the gas than pay for repairs or a new gas tank.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 375H&H For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 AM

On the drama documentary 'After the Apocalypse' one of the 'experts' was saying that hammering a screwdriver into the bottom of the tank is how thieves would operate, wouldn't that cause a spark and be a massive bomb waiting to go off, much like the ice pick idea above?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,237 Times in 1,108 Posts

no spark if you drive it right through the tank....... many tanks are now protected by a plastic liner or coverring which is not attached so not sure this will work..........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ackbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 11:22 AM

Twisty, It won't. The fuel/air ratio has to be right to ignite the fumes. You can drop a lit match into a bucket with gasoline and it puts the match out. I certainly wouldn't suggest doing it, but I saw it done at a fire class once.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,679 Times in 2,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
On the drama documentary 'After the Apocalypse' one of the 'experts' was saying that hammering a screwdriver into the bottom of the tank is how thieves would operate, wouldn't that cause a spark and be a massive bomb waiting to go off, much like the ice pick idea above?
Nobody in South Florida blew up.
The Following User Says Thank You to 375H&H For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 11:56 AM
old hand

Thanked 6,216 Times in 2,961 Posts

Use a clear hose the same diameter as the gaspump filler nozzle.

When you stick the hose in, use your lightest/longest standard screwdriver to hold the flipper thing (it will fit in the slots where the hinge/spring are) so you can get the siphon hose back out when you are done.

It helps if you can see what you are doing the first few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackbob View Post
... many tanks are now protected by a plastic liner or coverring ...
Many tanks are plastic.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Hiker

if your not worried about using the car or truck again poke a hole in the tank and drain the gas out the bottom into containers
Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
I don't know a lot about fuel systems--is there an easy, and reversible, way to get gas from such tanks? A way to defeat the siphon preventer?

Yup. Look under your truck right behind the filler door. Any dakota 1996 and earlier will look exactly like this. Remove the piece of hose held on by the 2 hose clamps and you have a direct route into the tank with whatever siphon hose you like. The large hose is the filler tube and has the anti siphon thing in it. The smaller one is the vent and is an unobstructed route directly into the tank. You can run your siphon hose in that one no problem. Or you can remove the big hose to remove the anti siphon valve but that valve is also designed to keep gas from spilling out if you roll the truck over.

All cars/trucks have this kind of setup but most cars are really difficult to get at this removeable part of hose.

Or the second option is less effort but painfilly slow. Its what i do, but takes probably 10 minutes to fill up a 5 gallon gas can. Get yourself a fuel pressure gauge. It will screw onto a fitting on the fuel rail under the hood. The gauge has a button to relieve pressure and a little hose that the gas flows out of when the button is pressed. The truck needs to be running when you do this so the fuel pump will stay on.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...questid=145019
If you look, you can find them much cheaper then $45. Think i paid 25 for mine.

If your dakota is a 91 or earlier without the magnum engine, you will have to look around for the fitting because it has a different fuel injection system, but im pretty sure it still has one. The pic of mine, the port is right in the center of the pic with the sun shining on the black plastic cap.

I do not suggest trying to jumper the fuel pump relay with a paper clip. The pump draws a good amount of electricity and the paper clip will get HOT. The socket for the relay is plastic. Probably wont start a fire, but you can easily damage the socket or burn yourself pulling the paper clip back out.

The pressure gauge route is much slower but almost all fuel injested cars have this test port, so you can use it any where, any time without any tools. I keep mine in the toolbox in my truck so that if someone is out of gas, i can help without running home for a can. Just run the tiny hose from the gauge right into someones gas filler.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Asymetric For This Useful Post: