Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,544 Posts
Default .22 penetration tests

Advertise Here

On this thread I would like see anything you can come up with on penetration tests, Videos, threads, manufacturers tests, range results, anything but speculation. Please no comparisons with other rounds or bashing of the .22. I am looking for test results. I want to see what this round will go through. I know various rounds will go through various things. If you have filmed a penetration test or have found one I want to see it. Im going to start with this snipers experiment at 250 and 300 yards. I was surprised at his results.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...=504301&page=1

Pretty impressive penetration results with a standard 1005 fps 40 grain bullet. It has reinforced my opinion that at 100 yards they are going to penetrate plenty on deer or humans. Now I am talking about penetration not killing power. Here are some more tests.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs27.htm

http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/v-s...mmotrials.html

Shrake tested the Velocitor and the results were great in that this round even though it is a hollow poin got as much penetration and a round that was built for penetration. The velocitor dumped a lot of energy and mushroomed out to 36 caliber. I think this is the one I am going stock the most of for my 10-22. Between those and Mini mags I should not need any other rounds. But would like to see more test results.

Im looking for more test results videos if you got em. Kingfish
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kingfish For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Survivor

Here is another showing good expansion and penetration of the Mini mag and Stinger.

http://www.diyballistics.com/?p=71
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingfish For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 6,764 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
The velocitor dumped a lot of energy and mushroomed out to 36 caliber. I think this is the one I am going stock the ...
I like the Velocitor also. Not quite as accurate as a 36 grain HP at 1250 fps but if I can put it where it counts I would trust it more to penetrate.

Here's a link to some ballistic gel tests of 22lr: http://www.brassfetcher.com/22LR.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,295 Times in 1,585 Posts

Brassfetcher.com uses calibrated ballistics gelatin which is important for overall consistancy.

http://stevespages.com/page8f22rf.html
http://www.gunthorp.com/wounding_factors.htm
Don't forget to check out Box O' Truth for some informal ammo testing.

Cabela's has R-P Yellow Jackets HP and Vipers RN (1400 & 1500FPS) for approximately $50 per 500rds, or Aguila .22 Super Maximum (with a claimed 1750FPS velocity) for $50 per 500rds. The Aguila is supposed to be the highest velocity .22LR currently available.

Winchester makes their Xpediter .22 LR that appear to be CCI Stingers in disguise, rated at 1640FPS using a 32gr bullet. They're prohibitively expensive
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 PM
space samurai

the xpeditor is the only .22 round that wont feed reliably in my rifle.

i use magazines compressed in wood to test everything, and honestly there wer maybe 5 pages of difference in penatration between stingers, velocitors, mimi mag, and blazer. i chocked it up to bullet construction, all the bullets looked excactly the same, the stinger was a tad more shredded up.
im sure that in water or gel the velocitors would have shown more penatration, but magazines are what i use.

id really go with what was most accurate in your rifles. i can get alot more federal auto match for the same price as velocitors. my rifle prefers those to all others, and i dont get duds like other bulk packs.
The Following User Says Thank You to stinkybriches For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Who wants to dance !!!

So do you want me to take some water jugs to the range with me tomorrow and shoot 300 yards to see what kind of penetration i will get? At that distance i shoot a 40 grain solid to retain trajectory , The 36 grain hollow points peter out just after 200 yards ,something to do with the transonic transition. I will need more time to accumulate more milk jugs for a test. But im more than willing to take you up on this test. Oh, and im glad to see that you want penetration results, ill make vids when i do it. Might even let my granddaughter make the shots.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SouthernPride For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,295 Times in 1,585 Posts
Thumbs up

SouthernPride,

A Fackler Box would probably be easier to use and set up:

All ya need are ziplock storage baggies and some water..
I've used improvised milk crates to accomplish this as well
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 10:54 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 9,096 Times in 4,524 Posts

I have read all the reports linked here. From what I can see The 40g CCI Velocitor and 36g CCI Mini-mag seem to have the best overall results. But the Velocitor takes it in the end. The performance is better. They are a few cents more per round but jeez we're talking .10 here.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Who wants to dance !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy_McNasty View Post
SouthernPride,

A Fackler Box would probably be easier to use and set up:

All ya need are ziplock storage baggies and some water..
I've used improvised milk crates to accomplish this as well
Thanks, Ill figure something out. I might even do tests at 50 yards,100 yards,in increments of 50 yards, out to 300 yards. But like i said, will need some time to accumulate jugs. Might see if i have the wood to make such a box.
The Following User Says Thank You to SouthernPride For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
So do you want me to take some water jugs to the range with me tomorrow and shoot 300 yards to see what kind of penetration i will get? At that distance i shoot a 40 grain solid to retain trajectory , The 36 grain hollow points peter out just after 200 yards ,something to do with the transonic transition. I will need more time to accumulate more milk jugs for a test. But im more than willing to take you up on this test. Oh, and im glad to see that you want penetration results, ill make vids when i do it. Might even let my granddaughter make the shots.
That first link of mine is a 300 yard shot to a half frozen turkey and three layers of clothing. At 250 it went through the front three layers, the turkey and the back 6 layers of clothing including some duct tape. At 300 it went through the first three layers of clothing and the turkey ending up under the skin. Still at 300 yards? That can penetrate someones body. This is all looking real good so far guys. Kingfish
Old 01-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivalguy72 View Post
I have read all the reports linked here. From what I can see The 40g CCI Velocitor and 36g CCI Mini-mag seem to have the best overall results. But the Velocitor takes it in the end. The performance is better. They are a few cents more per round but jeez we're talking .10 here.
I have both in 40 grain. And agree they are about the best overall for expansion and penetration. You need both for the round to be effective. I really like the handgun tests as this shows the depth at slower speeds. I am seeing that the faster hollow points like the Stingers are better in the pistols because they dont fragment or expand too much. Stingers in a handgun will be nasty as all get out. But for the rifles Im thinking the Velocitors being heavier and Mini mags really getting the best of both worlds. Some of the tests have been really great information. I am beginning to think a 40 grain mini mag would blow a hole right through both sides of a deers head at say 40 yards. On bone that solid bullet would no doubt be close to .40 caliber exiting. The Velocitor might go through as well. I know now why the stinger was used by poachers. It goes through the skull and explodes inside. Brain mush is the result. All energy expended right there with no exit hole. Now this is good learning experience. Kingfish
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingfish For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,681 Times in 2,241 Posts

cci hyper velocity sure raised a eyebrow with me. at 50 yards they went thru a milk jug and a 2by4 proping it up. and split a limb about 2inches 10 ft behind it. like cci mini mags too . federal almost as good as mini mags. but you get a under charged rd sometimes . one dud . isaw the firing pin mark on it. i pryed the bullet off no powder. at the range. my sons after shooting the ar. would with iron sights lob 22lr at 300 yards into the steel target no problem. thunders jam in every 22 we have
The Following User Says Thank You to stant For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Who wants to dance !!!

Quote:
That first link of mine is a 300 yard shot to a half frozen turkey and three layers of clothing. At 250 it went through the front three layers, the turkey and the back 6 layers of clothing including some duct tape. At 300 it went through the first three layers of clothing and the turkey ending up under the skin. Still at 300 yards? That can penetrate someones body. This is all looking real good so far guys. Kingfish
That was a great read,and when i read it for the first time, i wanted to see if i could make the shots at that distance. Turns out i could, and so could my 12 year old grand daughter, after a little coaching. But I too would like to see the first hand results of said experiment . Might have to try to push it out to 400 yards as well. I have made hits to that distance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SouthernPride For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stant View Post
cci hyper velocity sure raised a eyebrow with me. at 50 yards they went thru a milk jug and a 2by4 proping it up. and split a limb about 2inches 10 ft behind it. like cci mini mags too . federal almost as good as mini mags. but you get a under charged rd sometimes . one dud . isaw the firing pin mark on it. i pryed the bullet off no powder. at the range. my sons after shooting the ar. would with iron sights lob 22lr at 300 yards into the steel target no problem. thunders jam in every 22 we have
Yes I have had a lot of problems with the cheaper rounds being short on powder or duds. They jam up my Ruger. I shoot nothing but CCI now in my 10-22. We got a bolt gun to shoot all the cheap stuff at squirrels and rabbits.

I did a cold weather test on here last winter. W e proved that several rounds were not worthy. Wildcats, Thunderbolts, and PMC were the worst three. Any bulk ammo will have duds. The high end stuff tends to be way better. Match grade ammo and the CCI line. Kingfish
Old 01-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
That was a great read,and when i read it for the first time, i wanted to see if i could make the shots at that distance. Turns out i could, and so could my 12 year old grand daughter, after a little coaching. But I too would like to see the first hand results of said experiment . Might have to try to push it out to 400 yards as well. I have made hits to that distance.
Try it with some different rounds. Man I wish I didnt have 2 feet of freaking snow on the ground. I want to get out and shoot. Kingfish
Old 01-30-2011, 12:31 AM
Who wants to dance !!!

Quote:
Try it with some different rounds. Man I wish I didnt have 2 feet of freaking snow on the ground. I want to get out and shoot. Kingfish
Ill pick up some more ammo when i test it, ill even get some of the Eley ,and Wolf and try it.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Noob-Lite

When we were butchering deer this fall, found a .22 round on the brisket of a buck. And yes, I said ON. Was a run-of-the-mill lead .22 round that looked like someone placed it between the hide and the muscle. The bullet was not deformed at all, and there was ZERO tissue damage, it had just enough energy to penetrate the hide. You can say what you want about .22 and ballistic penetration tests, but I personally have no confidence in it taking anything more than small game in a survival situation.

hick
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hitech_hick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Hiker

one of the regestered trappers here snared a wolf it had one 22 lead under the hide high on the front leg and one right at the back of the ribs , both healed over , both same side.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Target Shooter

Here are some tests I've done with subsonic stuff.

177 pellet in RWS HV break open pellet gun penetrated 1/3 inch ply.

22 CB fired in Savage bolt action rifle penetrated 1 sheet of 3/4 inch ply clean through. Gun report sounds like a cap gun, extremely quiet - 90 decibels.

22 CB fired in a SW snub revolver. 22 CB failed to go all the way through the 3/4 inch sheet of ply and was much louder - 121 decibels

22 CB Long - exact penetration and decibels as 22 CB short.

Subsonic HP 22 LR fired in Savage bolt action rifle penetrated 2-1/4 sheets of 3/4 ply. About 129 decibels. Just starting to hurt ears with no protection.

Remington HV 22 LR round nose fired in Savage bolt action rifle penetrated 2-3./4 sheets of 3/4 ply. About 160 dedibels* Hurts ears with no protection.

All ply tests were 3/4 inch Chinese oak faced plywood and spaced 3/4 inches between sheets of ply. Guns fired at a 10 foot distance from target. Canadian or US Birch faced ply allows for less penetration by 15% or so.

A typical rifle gunshot is in the region of 140 to 170 decibels This can be lowered to around 115 db through the use of a suppressor and subsonic ammunition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunshot

* http://silencertalk.com/results.htm
Old 01-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitech_hick View Post
When we were butchering deer this fall, found a .22 round on the brisket of a buck. And yes, I said ON. Was a run-of-the-mill lead .22 round that looked like someone placed it between the hide and the muscle. The bullet was not deformed at all, and there was ZERO tissue damage, it had just enough energy to penetrate the hide. You can say what you want about .22 and ballistic penetration tests, but I personally have no confidence in it taking anything more than small game in a survival situation.

hick
The problem with your analysis is you have no Idea what round it was or how far the shot was. But the fact has been noted. My guess is this was either a sub sonic at say 75 yards or a much longer shot with a standard round. The brisket would not be a good place to shoot a deer. But lets not get into an argument on killing power. I am looking for hard evidence of penetration tests not hearsay. Kingfish