Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Prepared

Default LDS Distribution Center Locations

Advertise Here

Posted this in another thread but thought it would be valuable enough for all to see.

http://lds.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/X...%26langId%3D-1

Hope it helps
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Tree-hugger amongst you

What do they distribute at these locations? Mormon approved undergarments?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Tree-hugger amongst you

Ah, now I see. They have stockpiling stuff. Are they all apocalypto or something?

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=149840
Old 01-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Christian Survivalist

Thanked 1,479 Times in 859 Posts

This is the best link when looking for LDS Home Storage Centers:

http://www.providentliving.org/locat...26-1-4,00.html
The Following User Says Thank You to SurviveIt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,098 Posts

Those "Distribution Centers" are for books, teaching materials, scriptures, manuals, clothing and a very small amount of storage items........namely a "starter kit" made to help people get into prepping for their family.

The Bishop's storehouse is where foodstuffs and other storage items are distributed from. They are located widely throughout the U.S. and usually around more populated areas.
The Following User Says Thank You to sandline For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Christian Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandline View Post
Those "Distribution Centers" are for books, teaching materials, scriptures, manuals, clothing and a very small amount of storage items........namely a "starter kit" made to help people get into prepping for their family.

The Bishop's storehouse is where foodstuffs and other storage items are distributed from. They are located widely throughout the U.S. and usually around more populated areas.
Sandline,

You actually do not want the Bishops Storehouse. You want the Home Storage Centers, which is the link I provided above your post. Biship's storehouses are welfare groceries (aka pantries) and NOT open to the public. The Home Storage Centers are open to the public. In fact, the order form on that link also provides a pre-form to fill out for what you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to SurviveIt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,836 Times in 993 Posts

I don't find the link for the pre-order form.

I assume what you buy has to then be re-packaged for long term storage. It doesn't already come that way, correct?

Are the prices standard countrywide?

What's the approximate cost for example for one person for three years? Does the cost per person go down any for more more than one person?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurviveIt View Post
Sandline,

You actually do not want the Bishops Storehouse. You want the Home Storage Centers, which is the link I provided above your post. Biship's storehouses are welfare groceries (aka pantries) and NOT open to the public. The Home Storage Centers are open to the public. In fact, the order form on that link also provides a pre-form to fill out for what you want.
You're right. Wrong name. The BSH's are usually in the same building complex as the HSC's but are for welfare recipients.

Thanks for the clarification!
The Following User Says Thank You to sandline For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 25,578 Times in 13,386 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I just wish I could get the one close to me to answer the phone, or the door.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAF1 View Post

I assume what you buy has to then be re-packaged for long term storage. It doesn't already come that way, correct?

PART1

http://www.providentliving.org/conte...4352-1,00.html

At the bottom of the page, you'll see:
The form is best viewed using Adobe Reader® version 7.0 or higher.
* Home Storage Center Order Form—United States pdf or xls

Click on either pdf or xls, whichever is better for you and your computer (likely pdf). It will open the "order form," which is really just a price sheet for all they carry at the cannery -- and also a good planning tool to use for what you'd like to buy when you go (also, take it with you to make your shopping trip go smoother).

You'll notice on the form that it gives a range of prices: for food in No. 10 cans, for food in one-gallon mylar pouches, and for bulk food (say, 25-pound bags of wheat). At my local cannery, they have some No. 10 cans pre-filled when I go that I can buy right off the shelf, but it's hit-or-miss. Basically, it's whatever the volunteers have filled and other people haven't bought before me.

If I want apple slices and there aren't any cans on the shelf, I can open a bulk box and can the whole box, take the amount of cans I want to purchase and then put the rest of the cans on the shelf for someone else to buy.

My local cannery does not stock pre-filled mylar pouches of food. I'm not even sure at my cannery that I could do a few random pouches of food. I do, however, buy their bulk bags and boxes of food and then pack the pouches at home on my own time (the cannery sells mylar pouches and 100-count packages of oxygen absorbers for take-home packaging; you can seal with an iron or a hair straightener).

The prices on the form are standard across the country.

Last edited by BethinNY; 01-29-2011 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: split post in two parts
Old 01-29-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
What's the approximate cost for example for one person for three years? Does the cost per person go down any for more more than one person?
PART2

I'm not sure I understand your last question. They do not sell one-year supply packages. But if you're asking how much you should stock per year, the LDS guidelines have changed over the years. I found this on another forum the other day.

The LDS guidelines were changed back in early 2007. This is what the church recommends now:

*3 month supply of food that is part of your normal, daily diet.
*Drinking Water
*Financial Reserve
*Longer Term Storage:
25 lbs per month of wheat, white rice, corn, and other grains
5 lbs per month of dried beans

The website (http://www.providentliving.org) includes this information: "You may also want to add other items to your longer-term storage such as sugar, nonfat dry milk, salt, baking soda, and cooking oil. To meet nutritional needs, also store foods containing Vitamin C and other essential nutrients."

Here are the OLD recommendations which have been superseded by the new guidelines:

From http://www.providentliving.org

"Does the information outlined in the pamphlet supersede all previous counsel?

Yes."

WATER
At least 14 gallons per person.

14 gallons per person is just a 2-week supply. Blue 55-gallon containers are a good choice for water. It is a good idea to also store several small (more portable) containers. Remember to buy a siphon (or make other plans) so you can get the water out of the barrels. Do not place storage containers directly onto a cement floor or near chemicals. Water does not need to be treated initially as long as the container and water are clean. Follow Red Cross guidelines to treat at use if needed.

Minimum Amount:
1 person - 14 gallons
2 people - 28 gallons
3 people - 42 gallons
4 people - 56 gallons
5 people - 70 gallons
6 people - 84 gallons
7 people - 98 gallons
8 people - 112 gallons

GRAINS
400 lbs of grains per person.

This can seem daunting -- especially if you're thinking "But, I don't use wheat!" Grains don't just refer to wheat. You can store white rice, white flour, popcorn, corn meal, rye, barley, oats, oatmeal, cereal, wheat, baking mixes, and pasta (Mac n' Cheese, Spaghetti, tortellini, macaroni etc.). White flour, wheat flour, brown rice, baking mixes, cereal and oats have very short shelf lives. So, only store what you can rotate fast enough in these items.

Wheat can be stored up to 20 years, which is why many people store wheat. I noticed that Costco was selling (Lehi Roller Mills) 45 lb buckets of wheat for $16.99. This is a pretty good price for buckets. You can buy Honeyville Grain (yellow) 50 lb. sacks of wheat sometimes at Maceys for $11.00. These are double bagged and state (on the bag) that they should be left/stored in their bags. Lehi Roller Mills always has wheat available for various prices depending on the market value. I recommend Hard White Wheat. I also recommend that you acquire any wheat first and then worry about learning to use it after. And remember that you don't have to store just wheat (see above paragraph)!

LEGUMES
60 lbs. of BEANS per person.

You can store dry beans, lima beans, split peas, soup mix, soy beans, lentils, refried beans, dry refried beans, black beans, navy beans, white beans, chili beans, kidney beans, butter beans, pork & beans, nuts etc. Beans are a great source of protein – and combined with rice (a good grain) make a complete protein.

You may also choose to store canned (instead of dry) beans. It takes 4 (16 oz) cans of refried beans to equal 1 lb. of dry beans. So, you'll have to store roughly 4 times more weight. The cost will also be more. However, if you find that you rotate canned beans better than dry beans, then it may be worth the extra cost. This category could also include some meats ( i.e. canned meats, vienna sausages, tuna fish, pouches of fish, freeze dried meats etc.).

SALT
8 lbs of SALT per person.

Salt is one of the easiest and cheapest items to store. It stores indefinitely as long as it doesn't get wet. It is often available for $.33 for about 1 1/2 pounds. A family of five would need 27 of these regular containers of SALT (or 40 lbs). That comes to a total of $9.00 for a a full year's worth. It is also available at Costco in large quantity sacks for a similar price. Make sure that you purchase Iodized SALT.

26 oz. Containers
2 People - 10 containers @ .33 = $3.30
3 People - 15 containers @ .33 = $4.95
4 People - 20 containers @ .33 = $6.60
5 People - 25 containers @ .33 = $8.25
6 People - 30 containers @ .33 = $9.90
7 People - 35 containers @ .33 = $11.55

25 lb Sacks
Up to 3 People - 1 Sack @ 2.50 = $2.50
Up to 6 People - 2 Sacks @ 2.50 = $5.00
Up to 9 People - 3 Sacks @ 2.50 = $7.50

You can complete a year's worth of Food Storage for 6 people for less than $10.00.

SUGAR
60 lbs of HONEY or SUGAR per person.

White sugar, like salt, stores well unless it gets wet. Honey also stores well. Sugar is also easy to rotate because we use it so often. Storing sugar does not just mean white sugar. You can store brown sugar, powdered sugar, honey, molasses, corn syrup, jam, jello, and powdered fruit drink (with sugar already added).

MILK
16 lbs. of Milk per person.

This is for one glass of milk a day. Young children and nursing mothers require more. You can also store evaporated milk (six 12-oz. cans of evaporated milk are equivalent to 1 lb. of dry milk), sweetened condensed milk, chocolate milk (if the milk is already included), canned cheese, powdered cheese etc. If you make a substitution (above) for powdered milk, you'll need to increase the poundage so that milk amounts are equivalent.

Powdered milk has a shelf life of 2 to 3 years. #10 cans of milk cost anywhere from $7 a can to more than $13 per can. Make sure that you taste the brand of milk before you store large quantities of it. Church cannery milk is the cheapest ($7), but many people don't like the taste.

A year's supply of milk can be difficult to rotate before the three-year shelf life. Storing a variety of milk products (see above) can make rotation easier. Powdered milk can be used in place of milk when cooking. To make this easier, some families premake a container of milk each week. I often "refill" a gallon of store milk (when half gone) with powdered milk. My family can't tell the difference.

OIL
10 quarts of Cooking Oil per person.

You can also store shortening, mayonnaise, peanut butter, miracle whip, and high oil/fat content salad dressings (oil based vinaigrette, ranch etc.). The Provident Living website (http://www.providentliving.org ) gives the following equivalents: One quart of shortening is equivalent to 2 lbs of cooking oil. One quart of mayonnaise is equivalent to 1 ˝ lbs. of cooking oil. One quart of peanut putter is equivalent to 4 lbs. of cooking oil.

These oil-based products have very short shelf lives – anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. Crisco brand shortening is rumored to have the longest shortening shelf life. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is also supposed to store longer than other oils. By storing and using a variety of oil products (see above), you are more likely to be able to rotate within appropriate time frames.

CHILDREN & FOOD STORAGE
Children require food storage in proportion to their sizes.
3 and under -- 50% of an adult food storage.
4 to 6 -- 70%
7 to 10 -- 90%
11 and up -- 100%

Last edited by BethinNY; 01-29-2011 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: split post in two parts
Old 01-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganfarmer View Post
What do they distribute at these locations? Mormon approved undergarments?
It always amazes me when it comes to your TYPE of people. Reading your comment and your logo, I suspect you have no time for religion in your life. This is just my assumption but they say we should never assume. Someone was just trying to pass some good info, if you find it not Worthy reading on your part why leave a derogatory comment. I suspect if the chips were down and the LDS center was the only place in town for food distribution you would be the first in line.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sf45acp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Christian Survivalist

Just letting a few know that any suggested violence posted against any church, including the LDS church, will be reported to the mods at minimum. I suggest those that are purporting this vilolence, change thier posts, or delete them before I have to get serious about what has been posted.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:13 PM
I love this forum

I have made it very clear I'm not religious, but I am in and out of Utah all the time and I am impressed by the Mormon faith, they live what they believe and are extremely nice people. Haven't tried to "Sell me" or "Save me" or push what they believe on me. My hats go off to them.

Haven't met one hypocrite.......... yet.

Thanks for the post, just what I was looking for.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the info. Do the centers ship or do you need to go in person? The closes one to me is about 350 miles so it is a trek.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Sunshine On My Shoulders

Thanked 4,089 Times in 2,304 Posts

Quote:

The cost is the cost, you pay are the prices that have been negotiated for foodstuffs for that quarter, the cost of operating the storage center is paid from tithes. You will find that prices are extreme attractive when compared to prices from other sources. I realize that you were raised to never pay retail, but this is an exception.
The Following User Says Thank You to cranky1950 For This Useful Post: