Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 03:27 PM
kperry9823 kperry9823 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Killgore View Post
Not sure if any members here own or use the tents made by American Recreation Products, called the Mobiflex. These tents were designed for Special Forces units. They are super easy to erect, and are quite roomy. The big drawback to them has always been the plastic lugs breaking. A gentleman named Ike (or Jim) Newton developed a "fix" for this, however his website is no longer up. You cannot buy any type replacement parts for these, as American Recreation sold all they had in stock, and no longer make any. I own a Command Post version, and this thing is really big on the inside. After not being able to find any replacement lugs, I cranked my lathe and mill up and made some out of various materials (high strength aluminum, hard poly). The aluminum made ones are the strongest, and I have yet to break one. The ones I made out of poly, I added the "fix" to, and none of them have broken either. If anyone out there needs a new set of lugs, I might be inclined to machine some. Thanks.
You want to be very careful about using a rigid material such as aluminum for the lugs, the hubs are designed to have 1 metal knuckle each, on the 5 main corners, this lug faces down. the peak joint has 5 poly knuckles, no metal.

If you were to make all 5 knuckles out of aluminum, you would fracture the hub as there is a certain amount of flex required during erection and tear down and with 5 rigid knuckles, you wont have that.

I have seen several references to the " Pin Fix" that captain killgore refers to but have not come across any clear instructions on how to do this. any chance that you can elaborate a bit on this technique??

Kurt

[email protected]
The Following User Says Thank You to kperry9823 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2009, 09:30 PM
SUR5LGUY's Avatar
SUR5LGUY SUR5LGUY is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Would you happen to have an extra desert cover for the crew tent?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
kperry9823 kperry9823 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

No, I have command post covers, 2 in woodland, 1 in desert.

I am thinking about selling one of my tents, its an older model without a stove jack.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:51 PM
mcgyver1467's Avatar
mcgyver1467 mcgyver1467 is offline
Target Shooter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 429
Thanks: 244
Thanked 311 Times in 138 Posts
Default

For those of you who don't know these tents, heres a link.........

http://www.mobiflex.net/product.html
The Following User Says Thank You to mcgyver1467 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2009, 02:38 AM
WB5MPU WB5MPU is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Killgore View Post
I actually was helping Jim for awhile. He wanted to have the tooling made to produce new lugs with his "pin fix" installed. The mold alone was going to cost several thousand dollars. He has stopped responding to emails, and his site has been down for awhile now. I really like my Command Post, and like anyone who has used a Mobiflex, I broke a few lugs. Since there were no replacements, I made some myself. I have some made from high strength aircraft aluminum, and some made from high strength nylon stock. If you want to talk to your unit, I would be willing to manufacture new lugs with the steel pin fix installed. The steel pin fix really solved the problem for these lugs. Just shoot me a PM.
Thanks!
I am new to the sight. I was doing a google search for mobilflex and found this thread. I too was talking to jim about his lugs.
I have 2 comand and 1 small tens. I use the tent for radio comand posts for red cross, ham radio and shore station radio coMand for the US Coast Guard Aux. Here in oklahoma.

I would really like to find lugs. I wish I had bought. Mims kit.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 AM
volhalla volhalla is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Killgore View Post
Not sure if any members here own or use the tents made by American Recreation Products, called the Mobiflex. These tents were designed for Special Forces units. They are super easy to erect, and are quite roomy. The big drawback to them has always been the plastic lugs breaking. A gentleman named Ike (or Jim) Newton developed a "fix" for this, however his website is no longer up. You cannot buy any type replacement parts for these, as American Recreation sold all they had in stock, and no longer make any. I own a Command Post version, and this thing is really big on the inside. After not being able to find any replacement lugs, I cranked my lathe and mill up and made some out of various materials (high strength aluminum, hard poly). The aluminum made ones are the strongest, and I have yet to break one. The ones I made out of poly, I added the "fix" to, and none of them have broken either. If anyone out there needs a new set of lugs, I might be inclined to machine some. Thanks.
Just joined and cannot email Captain Kilgore direct, but I seriously need new lugs for my Mobiflex command tent...just returned home to get a smaller tent because of multiple failures and not enough spares.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:12 AM
insurgent insurgent is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a crew tent. I have repaired broken lugs by removing them and drilling through both parts, from the hinged end, and inserting a drywall screw. It seems to work for a quick fix. Why did they not make these lugs from a decent material like nylon!?

I am interested in buying some replacement parts if anyone has any though?
Old 08-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Trajan's Avatar
Trajan Trajan is offline
Acolyte
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 249
Thanks: 12
Thanked 402 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Can someone post a pic of what these lugs look like?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 PM
insurgent insurgent is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
Can someone post a pic of what these lugs look like?
Are you able to make some? If so I can send photos and also make some CAD drawings.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:38 AM
kperry9823 kperry9823 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Possible mobi flex parts

Hey out there to all of you looking for mobi flex parts.

My partner and I are looking at the possibility of injection molding new lugs from a carbon fiber resin.

we are hoping to be able to offer a tent rebuild/repair kit that will include detailed diagrams of the correct tent hub/frame configuration as well as detailed instructions and the modified erection/tear down procedure I have been sharing with some of you.

this wont be cheap, keep in mind that 10 years ago when lugs were still available from the manufacturer, they were $1 each.

I have several field expedient things you can do to keep your tent going until we get some parts produced.

contact me direct at [email protected] with questions or if you might be interested in replacement parts.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Trajan's Avatar
Trajan Trajan is offline
Acolyte
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 249
Thanks: 12
Thanked 402 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insurgent View Post
Are you able to make some? If so I can send photos and also make some CAD drawings.
My family owns a metal fab company, so possibly.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Spooky's Avatar
Spooky Spooky is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 615
Thanks: 259
Thanked 300 Times in 173 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver1467 View Post
For those of you who don't know these tents, heres a link.........

http://www.mobiflex.net/product.html
Are these still available, if so whats the price? Or is it one of those (if you have to ask, you cant afford it) things? LOL. Also whats the weight on the crew model?

Good looking tent
Old 09-16-2009, 09:09 AM
edpdx edpdx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
Thanks: 9
Thanked 53 Times in 17 Posts
Default

kperry9823 , I bought a
Command Post tent and extra components the year before the manufacturer
stop supporting these tents. I bought a few spare parts; but I would
appreciate learning more about your technique for erecting and striking
the Mobiflex- have to take care of them or risk breakage.

I have been referring to the stick man drawing that come attached to the
"wrapper" the tent gets stowed in. I would certainly welcome your views
on preserving this tent. Also, if you have any more info on spare parts,
zipper, fly or manufacture of lugs, I'm all ears.

I have my tent patched, waterproofed in-and-out, and even a m1941 US Army tent wood stove for elk camp. I came up with a very effective hot water tank for this stove. Pretty easy to make and hot water even long after the stove has died down. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send a picture.

Thanks for posting, I knew there were others out there that find this
tent a winner.

Ed,
Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 PM
edpdx edpdx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
Thanks: 9
Thanked 53 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I received an email from kperry regarding the mobiflex and how he sets up his command post. I will not dis the fellow as I am certain he has a knack for setting up the tent and striking it differently than American Recreation advises you to do. I did try to follow his instruction- which I won't post, and was sorely disappointed. I had help striking the tent and we both read kperry's directions before starting. We broke the hub over the front door, one of the lugs off of a 5 lug hub and two off of the three lug hubs.

I sought this fellow out for his new improved method, so I realize I can only blame my own competence and folly. I have erected and struck this same tent a dozen time in 4 years and only broke one lug while erecting in high winds. My advice is to stick with the original instructions.

Thanks just the same.

Ed
Old 01-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Dennis Caylor Dennis Caylor is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am looking for the Joint or Lug? for the Crew Shelter Mobiflex tent, can you hale me out?
Old 01-24-2010, 06:20 PM
edpdx edpdx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
Thanks: 9
Thanked 53 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Dennis,

I don't have any to spare. I have two 5 lug, and one 3 lug hubs. They each are full of various lugs used. I have some roll pins and patches and zipper pulls and an awkward amount of tent pegs. Sorry to say none I can share as they are hard to come by.

There is a cat on ebay that gets these tents regularly and posts surplus parts there. He is from Seattle area and when I bought a tent from him 8 years ago he gave me lots of spares. I have since bought up more hubs from him on ebay. Keep an eye there and ask him to make up a pkg price on a few loaded hubs. He was very reasonable.

If you want, I can make a copy of the forms I have including the reorder form and duplicated manual. Let me know,

Ed
Old 03-16-2010, 04:12 PM
johnwinstondarby's Avatar
johnwinstondarby johnwinstondarby is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Killgore View Post
I actually was helping Jim for awhile. He wanted to have the tooling made to produce new lugs with his "pin fix" installed. The mold alone was going to cost several thousand dollars. He has stopped responding to emails, and his site has been down for awhile now. I really like my Command Post, and like anyone who has used a Mobiflex, I broke a few lugs. Since there were no replacements, I made some myself. I have some made from high strength aircraft aluminum, and some made from high strength nylon stock. If you want to talk to your unit, I would be willing to manufacture new lugs with the steel pin fix installed. The steel pin fix really solved the problem for these lugs. Just shoot me a PM.
Thanks!
Cap. Killgore,

I have a Commpand Post version of a Mobilflex and use it for the at-risk youth camps we run throughout the year...I would sure love to replace my worn plastic (and some are broken) with the milled parts you make!

Is this something you might be able to help with? No worries, if not; I just thought it worth a conversation to see.

Thank you!
John Darby
www.shinjakai.com
(four-two-five)-(three-two-seven)-(two-one-five-two)
Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 PM
kperry9823 kperry9823 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default broken lugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpdx View Post
I received an email from kperry regarding the mobiflex and how he sets up his command post. I will not dis the fellow as I am certain he has a knack for setting up the tent and striking it differently than American Recreation advises you to do. I did try to follow his instruction- which I won't post, and was sorely disappointed. I had help striking the tent and we both read kperry's directions before starting. We broke the hub over the front door, one of the lugs off of a 5 lug hub and two off of the three lug hubs.

I sought this fellow out for his new improved method, so I realize I can only blame my own competence and folly. I have erected and struck this same tent a dozen time in 4 years and only broke one lug while erecting in high winds. My advice is to stick with the original instructions.

Thanks just the same.

Ed
Broken lugs, the problem you probably have is you have the wrong lugs in the wrong hubs in the wrong places, if you had asked, I would have mailed you a complete diagram, or the TO for the tent that shows what goes where, if you have the wrong pieces in the wrong places IE metal lugs where plastic goes and vise versa, you will break lugs regularly. Its like anything, you try to help but it only goes so far. I have been using my tents for 12 years now and yes, I still occasionally break a lug but thats because they get brittle with age. This is also why the military scraped all these tents, they are fickle and dont tolerate any abuse. I am sorry you broke a couple lugs.

Kurt
Old 04-20-2010, 01:55 PM
kperry9823 kperry9823 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Mobiflex parts

I am going to be parting out my second mobiflex tent and putting together some repair kits that will be for sale within the next month or so.

I will have a rain fly, the tent fabric, and all the joints and poles for sale

Contact me with a wish list or questions and I will provide and answer or quote a price.

[email protected]
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
american recreation products, mobiflex, mobiflex tents, tents



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net