Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-08-2008, 02:03 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,266 Times in 449 Posts
Default Mobiflex Tents

Advertise Here

Not sure if any members here own or use the tents made by American Recreation Products, called the Mobiflex. These tents were designed for Special Forces units. They are super easy to erect, and are quite roomy. The big drawback to them has always been the plastic lugs breaking. A gentleman named Ike (or Jim) Newton developed a "fix" for this, however his website is no longer up. You cannot buy any type replacement parts for these, as American Recreation sold all they had in stock, and no longer make any. I own a Command Post version, and this thing is really big on the inside. After not being able to find any replacement lugs, I cranked my lathe and mill up and made some out of various materials (high strength aluminum, hard poly). The aluminum made ones are the strongest, and I have yet to break one. The ones I made out of poly, I added the "fix" to, and none of them have broken either. If anyone out there needs a new set of lugs, I might be inclined to machine some. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:44 PM

Default Mobiflex Lugs

Captain Killgore,

Be careful what you offer.
Our squadron has 8 mobiflex tents and most need at least some lugs.
We got the tents two years ago and they seen very nice, but the first time we tried to use a couple they broke... so we don't use them. I talked to Jim Newton and his plan to mold lugs sounded promising, but he no longer responds to emails.
The wing may be looking for a way to repair these and use them in the field for SAR missions. I can't commit to anything at this point, but if you are serious and feel like you want to be a production line we could probably use your services.

Chaplain Wright
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaplainWright For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2008, 02:23 AM
That Others May Live

Cool info you got there
The Following User Says Thank You to Medic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2008, 02:39 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,266 Times in 449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaplainWright View Post

The wing may be looking for a way to repair these and use them in the field for SAR missions. I can't commit to anything at this point, but if you are serious and feel like you want to be a production line we could probably use your services.

Chaplain Wright
I actually was helping Jim for awhile. He wanted to have the tooling made to produce new lugs with his "pin fix" installed. The mold alone was going to cost several thousand dollars. He has stopped responding to emails, and his site has been down for awhile now. I really like my Command Post, and like anyone who has used a Mobiflex, I broke a few lugs. Since there were no replacements, I made some myself. I have some made from high strength aircraft aluminum, and some made from high strength nylon stock. If you want to talk to your unit, I would be willing to manufacture new lugs with the steel pin fix installed. The steel pin fix really solved the problem for these lugs. Just shoot me a PM.
Thanks!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:17 PM

Thumbs up mobiflex tent joints

to captain killgore
I also have a mobiflex tent the smaller version but also have the same problem with the joints. I am currently looking for replacement pieces, A this time I only need a few but would consider a whole set since this year (after much use)my have started to break, In reply, anyone who likes to camp on the move, these tents are as easy to set and tear down as any. I enjoy mine very much. It has been used all across Texas and Oklahoma
thanks okiejoe
(from Oklahoma):
Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 PM

captain killgore
New to this site. but I am also looking for some of the plastic lugs for my mobiflex tent. any new info would be appreciated.
thanks okiejoe
Old 08-18-2008, 12:34 PM

Default Mobiflex Parts

I have parts for the small mobiflex, (mice got to the tent!) plastic hubs, pins, and poles. I salvaged all hardware. I also hav a command tent in great condition without the camo cover, for sale. Feel free to email if interested.
Thanks!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUR5LGUY View Post
I have parts for the small mobiflex, (mice got to the tent!) plastic hubs, pins, and poles. I salvaged all hardware. I also hav a command tent in great condition without the camo cover, for sale. Feel free to email if interested.
Thanks!
I am interested...
Old 08-26-2008, 11:59 AM

SUR5LGUY,

Do you still have any replacement parts, i.e. hubs & pins available,

Thanks,

Joe
Old 09-07-2008, 09:19 AM

Default tent parts

yes i would be interested in the mobiflex tent parts, send a list and a price
thanks okiejoe
Old 09-08-2008, 03:47 PM

All tent assembly poles for small tent (no rain fly or poles for doors), 15 hubs, 6 rubber backings for hubs, bunch of plastic pins. I will take $100.00 + $20 for shipping. I will take $300 + shipping (???)for command tent w/o rainfly, or we can arrange a pick up. . I could be pursuaded to sell one of my small mobiflex tents if there is any interest (in great shape + spare parts bag)$600 + shipping (???) or we can arrange a pick up. I can set up command tent and take pix, and send pix of parts to your email. My email is [email protected]
Old 09-10-2008, 10:01 PM

Spare parts sold to Gasman for $120. other items still availiable
Old 12-12-2008, 08:33 AM

Mobiflex Tents what kind of tents is this?mobiflex?

Last edited by kev; 02-27-2014 at 08:13 PM..
Old 12-27-2008, 12:51 PM

Default Cost and Availibility

Cap'n,

Please provide quotes for each type lug. I own two tents (command and crew, I think.)

/r,

Andrew
Old 02-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Been a while since aI was on, the tent is an all inclusive dome tent, military grade, all the poles are connected to the tent which hangs on the inside of the tent shell. and has a rubberized ripstop nylon camo rainfly. Slick as all getout!
Old 02-24-2009, 05:46 PM

Default MobiFlex parts and Information

Hey Out there,

Concerning mobiflex tents and parts,

I have two of the command posts and 3 gore tex covers...two in woodland and one in desert colors.

I have extra poles, knuckles, and lugs and two complete parts repair kits.

I bought 50 lugs before the manufacturer went out of business because i was aware of the breakage problem.

During my time on active duty, I corresponded with the maker and actually re wrote the erection and tear down instructions in an effort to minimize breakage. they were not interested so I sent them to several of my buddy's who also managed to save these tents from the DRMO cesspool to which they were destined.

I would be happy to help any of you who are interested in maintaining and using your tents. I love mine and have had both of them up many times out at Alamo lake here in Sunny AZ as well as Picacho peak state park. They cant be beat for room and comfort and if you know what you are doing, can be erected and torn down with out damage.

let me know if I can help
The Following User Says Thank You to kperry9823 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2009, 09:32 PM

Ooops,

I meant rip stop nylon instead of Gore tex.

Anyway, I have one more cover then I need, any one need one????
Old 02-26-2009, 03:01 PM

I have a complete set of the most recent instructions including parts lists and exploded diagrams of all the different hub configurations.

kperry9823 at @cox.net

Last edited by kev; 04-18-2010 at 01:14 PM..