Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 01-25-2011, 02:46 PM
I love this forum

Default Buck 110 Folder

Advertise Here

According to Cabela's website, the 110 they stock is made from S30V steel, instead of the 420HC Buck normally uses. I want one but I'm skeptical of the black coating and I think the yellow logo on the blade looks tacky. I can't speak for the rosewood paneling either.

Do any websites other than Cabela's stock an S30V Buck 110? I'd prefer either clear or no coating on the blade.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,454 Times in 3,238 Posts

According to th Buck website all of their Model 110 knives are 420HC.

The knife you're looking at is the Alaskan Guide Series Model 110 made exclusively for Cabela's to their specs by Buck...Just as the Jim Shockey Signature Series Impalla I Knife is made in Sandvik 12C27M for them by them.

Then again, lots of other cutlers are making a similar lockback folder including Boker and Puma from where Buck got the idea...They both came out around the same time with an almost identical knife that Buck copied.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,180 Posts

0750BKX-B
Redpoint™
I enjoy the red point. one hand open with a lock open and close.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Furry

If you can get the S30 V model do it; I've carried a Buck 110 for almost 20 + yrs and it is the most practical knife you can get; don't get too involved with steel types, because you will never ever have to gut a M1 Abrams and 1/4 it... good for everything you do...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bearspirit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
According to th Buck website all of their Model 110 knives are 420HC.

The knife you're looking at is the Alaskan Guide Series Model 110 made exclusively for Cabela's to their specs by Buck...Just as the Jim Shockey Signature Series Impalla I Knife is made in Sandvik 12C27M for them by them.

Then again, lots of other cutlers are making a similar lockback folder including Boker and Puma from where Buck got the idea...They both came out around the same time with an almost identical knife that Buck copied.
Boker's website only says their folders are made of "stainless steel." Their specs are either limited or nonexistent. Can they be trusted?

Also, have you heard for how long Cabela's will be making the S30V model?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug View Post
Boker's website only says their folders are made of "stainless steel." Their specs are either limited or nonexistent. Can they be trusted?

Also, have you heard for how long Cabela's will be making the S30V model?
I would buy a Boker or Boker Arbolito or Puma knife before any Buck and there are lots of Buck blades that I would like to buy.

Remember the 110 style is 50+ years old by now and both Puma and Boker still carry the iconic style--a lockback.

I have not heard, nor asked, nor for that matter care how long Cabela's has made or will continue producing their design(s) as I don't buy much from them but especially not knives...I can get the standard production models they carry far cheaper from other Internet retailers and their rebadged stuff doesn't really interest me.

Check the sticky section above and try the American etc. Knife Makers thread for links to lots of makers and just check them out for a lockback in some other steel.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
According to Cabela's website, the 110 they stock is made from S30V steel, instead of the 420HC Buck normally uses. I want one but I'm skeptical of the black coating and I think the yellow logo on the blade looks tacky. I can't speak for the rosewood paneling either.

Do any websites other than Cabela's stock an S30V Buck 110? I'd prefer either clear or no coating on the blade.
Buck will build you a terrific knife, fixed blade Alpha Hunter or 110 folder, with S30V blade steel and other steels and handle materials in their online custom shop (http://www.buckknives.com/).

I watch their "webspecials" section for bargain closeouts.

I've had them build for me and I couldn't be happier. It is a hoot to dream and build many different knives online and see the finished product appear online. You don't have to buy em to enjoy the knife building fun. Better than tic tac toe.

S30V is the first steel developed for knives. Chris Reeves and Crucible Metals collaborated to make this super steel. Excellent edge retention.

Some Cabela 110 owners remove the sticker carefully with a razor blade and clean the resulting blade with a little polish. Please consider taping off the cutting edge with painter's tape before you start. The Rosewood scales are stabalized and look great to me.

Here's a pic of Cabela's 110 alongside of another Buck 110 for your amusement:

This is a Buck Custom Shop 110 with oak scales, finger grooves, nickel silver bolsters/liners & S30V blade steel:

Buck Kalinga, fixed and folder, both have Rosewood scales and S30V blades:

Last edited by Oregonian; 01-26-2011 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: add more pics
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oregonian For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 PM
I love this forum

Great post, Oregonian! I didn't know Buck has their own custom shop.

Can you recommend a specific wood to use in the handles? I'm usually not one to discriminate but it looks like I'll be using this knife for a long time.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Survivor

Oregonian -- Thanks for that, I'd completely forgotten that Buck had their custom shop.

Pug -- As to wood, it's really whatever catches your fancy...Actually, you'd be able to put just about, almost, anything on the handles for scales--stone, wood, synthetics (Micarta, Corian (counter tops), G10, Nylon etc.), Black or Mother of Pearl, Antler, Horns, Bone (Giraffe leg bone is the hardest known), Teeth (Warthog, hippo etc) or exotic stuff (Mammoth ivory, oosik (walrus penis bone--amazing stuff), walrus tusk etc.) as long as they had it or could get it for you...They do more then just the Alpha and 110 but you have to contact them...My brother has the smaller model of the Kalinga with moose antler scales on it!

I'm very partial to quince (ambrosia kinda looks like it), desert ironwood, zebra wood, ribbon maple, bocote and a few other woods.

Go to this link for BRK&T - Bark River site and on their individual knife pages they have a list (pictured) of all the handle materials you can choose from--some sixty plus! Click on the models and go through and you'll see that knife with the scales you've just chosen displayed...Great resource that! What gets me though, is why some materials aren't available for all the knives?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Great post, Oregonian! I didn't know Buck has their own custom shop.

Can you recommend a specific wood to use in the handles? I'm usually not one to discriminate but it looks like I'll be using this knife for a long time.
Thank you kindly Pug.

Oak is my favorite. It just looks strong and beautiful. Buck uses stabilized wood so it lasts. Their forever warranty is legendary. As the years roll by and the knife gets worn you can send it in to Buck and for a small fee they will give it the spa treatment and they can also put on a replacement blade as well if this is what you want.

I really appreciate the added grip that finger grooves give your hand. You can order finger grooves on your Buck Custom Shop knife.

Another look at the Custom Buck 110, with oak scales, for your amusement (its the one on the right):

Last edited by Oregonian; 01-26-2011 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: add pic
Old 01-26-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
Oregonian -- Thanks for that, I'd completely forgotten that Buck had their custom shop.

Pug -- As to wood, it's really whatever catches your fancy...
You are welcome SeekHer. It is my pleasure. This is a terrific forum.

Sadly, the Buck Custom Shop has limited custom choices compared to their glory days of years ago. Just variations on the two knives, folding lockback 110 & fixed Alpha Hunter, can be made to your order. And, these variations are limited.

Independent craftsman, like Leroy Remer of triple-r-knives, have the ability to create just about anything you desire. For example, he is working on a clear-handled fingergrooved 110 user. The scales are of bullet-proof synthetic transparent material. I hope to have delivery @ this Spring's OKCA in Eugen, Oregon. Oh boy!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:13 PM
I love this forum

Since the rivets are an optional addition to the knife, can I assume they're not there for strength? (Excluding the stainless steel one.)
Old 01-27-2011, 08:16 PM

Buck = "Made in the USA". <--that means a lot..!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2011, 10:02 PM

I have a Buck 110 and I'm very happy with it. My uncle got it for me a couple years ago since he's had his for 20 years and has loved it.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Since the rivets are an optional addition to the knife, can I assume they're not there for strength? (Excluding the stainless steel one.)
The multiple scale rivots hold the scales in place.

The single stainless rivot pivots the lockbar and enables the backlock to operate.

No rivets showing means that the scales are held in place by glue and that the lockbar pivot is hidden below the scales.

I prefer, generally, no rivets because there is less likelihood of the scales spliting at the rivet, no issues with a proud or sharp rivet on the handle surface and the clean look of the overall knife.

However, traditional looks mean rivets showing so if you want old school then you want rivets showing.

Pic of the stainless steel lockbar pivot rivet while the blade lock is open:

Pic of the traditional look, rivets (three brass scale rivets and the one stainless lockbar rivet) showing, of a fingergroove Buck 110:
Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 PM

You can also check out Bass Pro Shops. Their version is CPM 154 which is a great steel. No black paint and no logo on the blade. I had the Cabelas version and sold it to get the BP version because I didn't like the stuff on the blade either.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Philosoprepper

Thanked 5,431 Times in 1,728 Posts

Would you be comfortable using the 110 as your all purpose field dressing knife?
The Following User Says Thank You to ChapNelson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,286 Times in 526 Posts

I have used a 110 for years to dress game. I have only had one problem and that is that the tip is a little brittle.
The Following User Says Thank You to clc79092 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Professional Knife Addict

I picked mine up for $28.97 at my local wally world to carry on my belt. I needed a knife with that had good reputation, good warranty, and I knew would not fall apart in a time of need. This knife is so solid and I love the fact that it now comes with a nylon sheath!

Some pics: