Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Learning

Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,902 Posts
Default Waste Motor Oil as Fuel

Advertise Here

Someone recently asked about using waste or used motor oil as fuel. If you have an older, mechanical diesel engine you certainly can!

First, you will need to collect good motor oil; nothing mixed with antifreeze or water...

Second, you will have to filter it. I bought a hand pump from Harbor Freight and 2 fuel filters from TSC (one is a water separator) and when it is warm outside I simply pump it through the filters.

Some guys have reported running the stuff 100% in their Ford powerstrokes and stuff. I run it 100% in the summer in my army truck and either run a gas/diesel mix in the winter.

To get it super clean you can heat the oil to around 120 degrees and run it through a centerfuge, it will clean it down to 1/2 micron or so and the oil will be amber again. This is what I would do if I had lots of trucks and had a large quantity of oil.

However, I've now been running across a new idea, distilling the motor oil...it just has to be heated up a lot more (so it is a much more dangerous process)...intial reports are that it chemically grades out somewhere between JP4 and JP8.

So you can start collecting used motor oil for free from your friends and neighbors in some back yard shed and figure out how you can use it as fuel!

Some people will discourage this practice as being bad for the environment and they will tell you to recycle the oil...unfortunately, the auto parts store that "recycle" oil sell it to the highest bidder (around $.50 a gallon currently). The oil is sold to cement kilns or asphalt plants and burned! Creating much more massive amounts of pollution that your pickup truck! I've also heard that they run it through centerfuges and sell it as chain saw bar oil.

To each his own and make sure you do lots of research on your specific vehicle before you go dumping your oil change right into the fuel tank.
The Following User Says Thank You to Preacherboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 02:34 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,956 Times in 2,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherboy View Post
Some people will discourage this practice as being bad for the environment and they will tell you to recycle the oil...unfortunately, the auto parts store that "recycle" oil sell it to the highest bidder (around $.50 a gallon currently). The oil is sold to cement kilns or asphalt plants and burned! Creating much more massive amounts of pollution that your pickup truck! I've also heard that they run it through centerfuges and sell it as chain saw bar oil.

To each his own and make sure you do lots of research on your specific vehicle before you go dumping your oil change right into the fuel tank.
I wouldn't run it in my truck, but there are other uses including burning it in a furnace.

Good point about the recycling. I think a lot of it goes to ships too, which, IIRC contribute a lot more pollution than all of the automobiles.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ars-world.html
The Following User Says Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Livin' & Learnin'

What's your isea of an older mechanical diesel? I have a '93 Ford F-250 with the 7.3 litre.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 PM
I wish I were riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by justallan1 View Post
What's your isea of an older mechanical diesel? I have a '93 Ford F-250 with the 7.3 litre.
It will burn it, just FILTER IT WELL. I had a '94 with the 7.3 IDI (not powerstroke). I pumped the oil through a 5 micron whole house water filter and then through a 2 micron fuel filter/water separator and then into a 5 gallon gas jug. Then just poured it into the tank. I've ran 100% motor oil with NO problems but settled on 75% oil/25% diesel. I did have dual tanks and kept the rear tank straight diesel. I'd switch to the rear tank about 2 miles from home, work or where ever I was going to leave it off for 4+ hours (sometimes was harder to start on oil mix when cold). After I started it up, I'd switch to the front mixed tank. I once went 1500 miles on $13 of purchased diesel. Don't have that truck anymore. A friend needed it more than I did and he got my oil store (400+ gallons) and filter setup. Truck is still going strong and running on the oil blend. JUST MAKE SURE IT'S ONLY OIL WITH NO ANTIFREEZE OR BRAKE FLUID IN IT.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lunatech For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Livin' & Learnin'

Very cool, thanks Lunatech. I've looked into this on and off for awhile now. I just bought this truck and it's killing me on fuel.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 PM

I've researched it a lot also, and have run a few blends through my Mercedes turbo diesel powered jeep. It doesn't care.

There was a post on another forum where a guy had emissions run while burning WMO and passed with no problems. The results nearly mimicked straight diesel. Burning WMO is not horrible for the environment. It's been tested, and tested, yet some make claims that it's destroying our ozone, ect, and have no facts to back their opinions up.

I'd rather burn some WMO then pay to have someone pump it out of the ocean or middle east, process it, ship it a dozen times, and then pump it in my car. That's better in my book.

As for refining it, there's a few who have done it. It's another thing I've been looking into haha. From what little I know, the oil is heated to 500-700* F and then condensed. At this temperature, you'll be pulling light oils up to around heating oil viscosities, out of the WMO you are running through. A refinery is arguably a glorified moonshine operation. What you condense is then passed through a centrifuge, and is able to be burned in anything that accepts diesel. Anything. The heavier oils that were not evaporated can be burned to fire the refinery, burned for heat, or sold/given away.

I'm looking forward to building one this spring!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 PM
III%

Thanked 27,986 Times in 3,743 Posts

A buddy and I built a simple filtering station this summer and I've been burning a 85/15 oil to gas mix since then, until freeze up in November, I'll probably start running it again in February.

I have seen no downsides to burning filtered WMO, it doesn't change the power or fuel mileage in any noticeable way, and it costs me 1/10th of what regular diesel does.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 PM

Also, there are a few guys running WMO in the new common-rail diesels. You don't see it a lot, because the truck is newer, and expensive to fix (after you void the warranty running WMO.) It has, and is done though.
You mainly see it in bigger applications due to fuel consumption, and bigger injectors (harder to plug up.) WMO can be run in smaller applications though, just make sure to filter it WELL, and like lunatech said, no antifreeze, water, brake fluid, or other fun stuff in it.

What you'd like to look for is a diesel engine with a VE pump (injection pump.) These include older Cummins 4bt/6bt, chevy 6.2/6.5, ford 7.3, vw 1.5d 1.6d 1.9d AND 1996-2003 TDI's (same exact pump as the older diesels, just with a computer), mercedes 240d 300d, and perkins engines found in the older ford rangers to name a few.

Typically these are the engines people choose to run WMO though. Some are direct injection, others are indirect injection (fire into prechambers, and not directly onto the piston.) I've read that the prechambers are better for WMO due to their design, and being able to hold heat better, but it's argued both ways on the boards.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 PM

You are correct it can be done. But here are some things to make your idea better. as mentioned go with a "blend" I have a old tractor 1962 model diesel and I will blend in up to 50/50 no more. There are some drawbacks to the oil. Aslo the Veggie oils, 50/50 no more. It still a good idea to run it around a heat source to preheat the oil/fuel cause the oil/veg tends to have alot more soot/carbon when burned. I know your thinking whatever But if you ever tore down an engine run this way you would see a serious buildup of gunk in the port around the valves ECT. This was something we did years ago in the Army to get rid of our "dump oil" when in Germany we would just put it in the old multi fuel 5 tons and duces. Well one of those trucks went through and engine so we pulled the thing apart for a "look" and talk about ports and gunk every place holy crap. Thats why I would not get to crazy with it. Do I do it yes would I go 100% no. I may go a little more with a turbo and thats cause I can shove more boost at the engine and make the burn hotter and burn the carbon/oil up. Sorry if this got a bit long and windy.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 PM

Iam building an '86 f350 with a 7.3 idiand plan on running a 50/50 blend of WMO. In Canada it gets kinda cold ,so i was woundering if you guys run a stock thermostat or a hotter one?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Do you guys run a higher temp thermostat when you run WMO. I plan on running a 50/50 blend,and maybe a little thicker if i can.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Prepared

96' cummins. No mods just a real good cleaning

settle in barrel at least 2 weeks,

gravity flow through 35 micron sock filter,

gravity flow through 10 micron truck fuel filter,

gravity flow through 1 micron sock filter into a super clean fuel can.
The Following User Says Thank You to TxTowman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Plan Z: Run!

Thanked 18,360 Times in 7,773 Posts

What about newer 2001-2006 dodge trucks. I like the idea above. I would think 5 gal of filtered oil in to a 20-35 gallons of diesel would work. Or is that just wishful thinking.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodfeguy View Post
But if you ever tore down an engine run this way you would see a serious buildup of gunk in the port around the valves ECT. This was something we did years ago in the Army to get rid of our "dump oil" when in Germany we would just put it in the old multi fuel 5 tons and duces. Well one of those trucks went through and engine so we pulled the thing apart for a "look" and talk about ports and gunk every place holy crap.
Perhaps that's why most that are running WMO, blended or not, filter it heavily before use.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Prepared

Hey Preacher Boy!
I actually spoke with Ferroequinologist on steelsoldiers.com and he has been burning it in his Dodge cummings (2003 or 2005 I dont remember exactly) and he has had excellent results. He heats it up with an old water heater and then filters it several times down to .5 microns. I plan on doing the same and running it in my M1008.
The Following User Says Thank You to bkwudzhom For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 PM

I have also heard of running a part of the fuel line around the exhaust to pre heat also. I guess the idea is not to go over 200* for the oil. but preheat helps the oil burn without making to much gunk form from what I have heard.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:45 PM

I've heard of guys running the fuel through the tranny cooler in the radiator if you have an unused one like me. That'll get it around water temp
Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 PM

WMO and veggie oil is thicker than diesel, those that burn straight wmo and veggie oil MAY have an expensive Injector Pump rebuild in the future as they were designed for thinner diesel fuel. Just my opinion for what its worth.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,203 Times in 448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeebones View Post
WMO and veggie oil is thicker than diesel, those that burn straight wmo and veggie oil MAY have an expensive Injector Pump rebuild in the future as they were designed for thinner diesel fuel. Just my opinion for what its worth.
I had the Bosch injection pump rebuilt in my Mercedes rebuilt and calibrated last year to the tune of $1000. It only needed "minor" work. New they run $8000 or more.

But back to the topic: how do you filter diesel oil?

Although the soot loading capacity of modern diesel rated oils is high these days, how can you eliminate the soot entirely if the car's one filtering system can't completely remove it?

I imagine that those fine carbon particles would, at the very least, wear the diesel injectors or etch the injection pump over time. I'm not even going to get into the "sandblasting" that happens to the pre combustion chambers and cylinder walls.

I'm always looking locally for another Mercedes diesel to add to my collection. When I find one on Craigslist or whatever, I give the owner a call. One of the first questions I ask is whether it had been used as a grease car. If they answer yes, then I thank them for their time and hang up. There's a million ways to screw up using WVO and only a few ways of getting it right. None of them work in our climate. Odds are, the reason they're selling it is because they were in the former bunch and don't want to undertake the expensive repairs to undo their mistakes.

Do something silly with a gas engine and you're probably going to notice it immediately. The problem, if it truly is a problem, is that diesels are butt simple and generally have a long life span. They are also tolerant of abuse. So things happen with a diesel on a time scale where might not notice anything amiss for some time. You could run WVO or tranny fluid for 20,000 miles and think that everything's fine. It's only when you pull your injectors out for cleaning that you see evidence of premature wear or find leakers.

There's absolutely no doubt that you *can* run about anything that will compress and ignite in a diesel. But, should you? Looking at it from a collector's point of view I'd say "no". Again, you might run it for 100,000 miles. But that same engine might have given you 250-300,000 miles otherwise.

PS: If it's TEOTWAWKI, then all bets are off. Every diesel head for themselves
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to subvetssn For This Useful Post: