Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Anti-Communist

Default How to Prep with zero money

Advertise Here

I currently do not have any money to spend on preps and was wondering the easiest ways to aquire what I might need without spending any money. Obviously certain things cant be had without some investment.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Preparing for tomorrow

One can or one bag at a time each time you shop. Get an extra can of something that can be used like soup, ravioli, beans or a bag of rice, flour, sugar. Find some local preppers and look for advice or group buys, etc. You might be able to pick up an old sleeping bag, camp stove or something useful that they no longer use.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to neosurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Native Born Texan

My job is either feast or famine. During famine I always do exactly what Neo just said. A bag of beans, rice etc. A couple cans of veggies. Always remember to rotate your preps!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maxed For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 PM
cleaning crew

Thanked 3,262 Times in 1,457 Posts

extreme couponing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to janit0r For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 07:16 PM

Knowledge is free. Learn to make snares and traps. Learn how to make a fire by hand. Go through the stuff you have and organize it. Pack or repack a bug out bag. Make winter kits for your cars. Etc.....
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Zombie Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Real keen on not dying

Thanked 2,129 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedchicken View Post
I currently do not have any money to spend on preps and was wondering the easiest ways to aquire what I might need without spending any money. Obviously certain things cant be had without some investment.
If you have zero money for preps then your financial situation may be qualified for assistance. If you are unemployed and/or below the poverty level you may be eligible for government assistance to pay for your utility bills, provide food assistance to cover you grocery bills, etc. You may also qualify for local church and charity assistance with feeding your family. Check with local agencies to see what you might qualify for.

If you do qualify for such assistance in helping pay for your bills, it might free up some funds for needed preps (especially things that wouldn't be covered by food assistance, such as first aid supplies and a basic fire extinguisher).

If assistance does free up some money, I'd suggest only buying items you have coupons for, that are also on sale. Shop around and bargain hunt. Alternatively, you may consider skipping one or two meals a week and just putting those cans into your reserve stash.

Other preps are virtually free anyway, such as filling empty soda bottles with water storage, chopping your own firewood (assuming you live near a heavily wooded area), etc.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Omega Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,141 Posts

Go on craigslist and check out the free section. Haul anything home you can get home. Relist it on the barter section. List what you are looking for under the wanted section.
Look for services wanted. I agree with the previous posts. Read everything retated to survival you can get your hands on. Work on keeping or getting in good shape. Store up water like crazy. You can get free stuff with coupons. Don't be picky. Pick up cans. Rake leaves. Shovel snow. Dumpster dive. If it is a priorty, you can make it happen.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Meat Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Prepared

Find your local food pantry/bank, if you are proud "suck it up" and get some groceries. Many people are embarrased to be seen at food pantries but in times like these, you gotta do, what you gotta do. Even if there are some items you don't normally eat, try something new or save it to barter later. Some pantries may even give you expired foods, don't throw them out. Those dates are very conservative. It's a shame because so much food is thrown out and wasted.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marylp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Proverbs 22:3

Thanked 1,101 Times in 329 Posts

check thrift stores. We sell all kinds of prep items in my store. I also work at our food pantry, we do not look down on anyone. We know next week it could be us.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bridgetdaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,141 Posts

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=126854

Here is several pages worth
The Following User Says Thank You to Meat Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Getting There !!!!

Thanked 1,236 Times in 690 Posts

Read everything... Also You Could work on which routes you will be takeing if you goota bug out.. Your on the internet as we see... Get Maps of your area.. Find were the state parks are on your route etc.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,348 Times in 2,908 Posts

You are going to die. I'd guess about one month into total meltdown, unless.........................

You get a second job and use the money for preps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pangea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Hunter

Water first(a cheap prep) maybe a can a week of something you can stomach
or a small bag of rice/beans. My divorce left me without a pot to p1ss in or a window to throw it out of, but I am slowly getting it back together. Saw a 2
for one deal at the grocery the other day so took advantage of it. BOGOs can be your friend. Keep a positive mind set and you will find a way-I read a lot of good ideas so far. Dont despair! Some of us here have been down to
our last few coins, so we are on your side.
The Following User Says Thank You to talon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
You are going to die. I'd guess about one month into total meltdown, unless.........................

You get a second job and use the money for preps.
I think you shouldnt candycoat the dire circumstances this person is in.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zayder06 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Armed Border Collie

Thanked 6,443 Times in 3,144 Posts

You can get tons of information from the library. Many clubs, organizations and hospitals offer free training in survival related topics. (The Red Cross cost quite a bit). Cut one meal out of your week and dedicate that money to buying food for storage.

Train yourself to make a product that people would want. Start with an interest, like survival, and make something that you can sell, barter, trade or give away as samples. Next thing you know, you have a part-time business that is helping you pay for preps. (At some point stop giving away samples).

There are always things that people are wanting to get rid of that will help you prep, you just have to have the imagination and desire to go out and get them.

On some items it is better to go cheap so you have it, then replace them as you can afford and use the less expensive stuff as backup.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Anti-Communist

I appreciate the sincere non-judgemental approach from you guys. However, I may have mischaracterized myself. What I was really going after was the building from nothing. Like real innovative scrap inventions that wouldn't cost anything to build or at least would be rather cheap, partly to spur discussion and to introduce things I haven't thought of yet. I'm not poor but money is definitely tight. I really don't have it budgeted for extra things, like home-made solar panels etc. I think you get what I'm talking about. Any engineers that can think up something interesting?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Hiker

the red cross will train volunteers for free! they give free emergency preparedness classes. it's the first aid and cpr classes and wilderness first aid classes that cost an arm and a leg!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Hiker

in arthur please note the ingenuity of the ecuadorian neighbors. THE NATURAL REFRIGERATOR
Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,090 Times in 396 Posts

If you have any dirt start to garden. Seeds are reasonable and you make ask neighbors if they have any. Also start composting in your yard with your own home waste.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,590 Times in 4,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedchicken View Post
I appreciate the sincere non-judgemental approach from you guys. However, I may have mischaracterized myself. What I was really going after was the building from nothing. Like real innovative scrap inventions that wouldn't cost anything to build or at least would be rather cheap, partly to spur discussion and to introduce things I haven't thought of yet. I'm not poor but money is definitely tight. I really don't have it budgeted for extra things, like home-made solar panels etc. I think you get what I'm talking about. Any engineers that can think up something interesting?
Solar cookers, sand and charcoal water filters, bicycles in stands with the rear end elevated and the rear wheel shaft attached to a generator for a pedal power station, a solar water heater consisting of black painted tubing against a black background, homemade smokers, cookers, dehydrators, etc.

Back on the subject of prepping with little or no money: Thrift stores, garage sales, craigslist, check the classifieds for items people will give away if you haul them off, visit your local recycling center and 'liberate' plastic bottles for water storage (wash in soap and water, then sterilize with a mild bleach solution), wander around your locale and see if there are any wild fruit trees on public land you might be able to harvest and can the produce...