Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-24-2011, 10:14 AM

Default What octane gas do you store?

Advertise Here

Not sure if it really matters, but what octane gas do you store in your fuel containers?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 AM
I love this forum

I buy the cheapest and rotate every 6 months or so.. If you dont plan on rotating as often you should buy the highest.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Rotties Rule

Hey JG... I store gasoline for use in my generators, it is in 6 gallon plastic jugs. I store 87 octane, BUT, I store gas with no ethanol added. I'm lucky to have a dealer close by that refuses to sell gas with ethanol, it may be worth your time to locate one in your area.

I use Pri-G as a fuel stabilizer. I chose Pri-G over Sta-Bil after much online research - mainly reading reviews from others that had already been down the gas storage road.

Just this month, I used the 48 gallons that I have stored so that I could rotate in new gas. The gas was put in our 2 vehicles - my wife has a 4 banger Japanese type and I have a V-8 in my truck. I waited until our gas tanks were below 1/4 so that I would have a better idea of the quality of the stored gas. It took 2 "fill-ups" to use it all up between the two vehicles.
Both vehicles ran normally on this stored fuel. I had put in an ounce of Pri-G into each gas can (jug) before filling AND I also added an additional 1/2 ounce to each 6 gallon can before I dumped them into our vehicles.

This fuel had been stored in a non-climate controled area (shed) and here in Florida that means that it got HOT during the summer, but never below freezing in the winter. I did experience evaporation - maybe a gallon per can! - during storage.

As I wrote, our vehicles ran just fine on this fuel. Whether it was the Pri-G or not I can't say as I didn't store any fuel without the stabilizer in it. But, from my experience and what I've read, I wouldn't store gas without it (the Pri-G).

The gas that I used this month was bought and stored away in DECEMBER 2008

ymmv...

Edited to add: I have read that Pri-G and "bring back" old, bad gas. I don't know about that because I haven't tried it, but I have enough faith in this stuff to store several bottles of it - just in case.

Last edited by captbob; 01-24-2011 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: addition to post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to captbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 AM

What I have are a few brand new never used 5 gal. Scepter Military cans (shhhh they say US government on them), they all have the viton rubber seal on them which I hear will last longer, not sure if that is true or not.

I'm up here in colorado, and in the winter months they add more ethonal to it than in the summer months. So i might wait to fill up till the summer time.

So how long could i store before rotating out? 6 months? a year? im just going to keep them in the garage so hot during the day cold during the night.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Food Storage Solutions

gas is way too expensive to be picky i think
Old 01-24-2011, 11:43 AM
What would Mal do

Thanked 5,002 Times in 1,770 Posts

manufacturer of my generator as well as other small engines warn against high octane fuel..only to use cheap stuff...so for the 5 gal can storage (10 of em) I just use 87 proof.

however I also keep my boat full through winter and that's high octane..but I expect that if I needed to pull that, it would be to run in the truck anyway so it's fine...I keep cheap gas in the trucks vans most of the time..so I could pull from them for the genny first and then if I needed gas to drive with... I'd be able to pull that from the boat.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Hunter

If you have an above ground gas tank, use a pressure cap on it. You are required by law to vent it, but you can have a 11 psi cap on it. This will save you almost 30 Gallons a month due to evap in the summer months on a 200 Gallon tank.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Old Soldier

Thanked 9,736 Times in 3,256 Posts

The problem is not the octane, but the ethanol. Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture from the air. Thirty days is about max for untreated 10% ethanol blend.
Here in Florida, 10% is the law, with exceptions for marine fuel (ethanol disolves fiberglas fuel tanks), and aviation fuel, where moisture content can be fatal. This fuel is a lot more expensive than motor fuel.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,183 Times in 606 Posts

I buy the cheap stuff and rotate at least once a year. I dropped the ball on rotating my 5 gal can hooked to my generator this year, so the gas is 1 1/2 years old now. It has stabilizer in it. Just before a big snow storm came last month, I fired it up. It started and ran great.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:52 PM

while higher octane does store longer, ethanol content is more important.

check out this site for a database of available ethanol free gas by state
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geek For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 PM
PERMANENTLY REDACTED

Thanked 1,639 Times in 664 Posts
Default HDPE

Quick note...I tried storing gas in 35 gallon HDPE drums. This is the same type plastic that the red gas cans are made of. I was worried about catastrophic systems failure so I cut the tops off some 55 gal HDPE drums and put the 35's inside...Double containment. 5 years later the drums are still fine. These barrels are a cheap storage container. I leave one of the bungs slightly loose.
Up here in the Great North Wet, I have had no issues with evaporation in our cool climate.
I store what ever is cheapest. Stabilized with Stabil, and Marvel Mystery oil added at double the recommended rate. I have a couple antique vehicles, and use the Marvel as top cylinder lube. This is a good idea for any vehicle...
I use half a barrel, then replace with fresh treated gas as I go...
So far...No problems.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Not what I appear to be

Thanked 3,892 Times in 1,204 Posts

I store mid grade (88 oct) with a double shot of Sta-bil in 55 gal drums.
Up here regular grade is only 85.5 oct, but the Town Pump gas stations sell mid grade (88) for the same price as regular, don't know why, but I won't question their logic, I'll just buy the mid grade.
I have used my stored gas after two years with no problem. But I don't buy gas between November through March because of the higher ethanol content during the winter months. So I hope the price doesn't skyrocket before April, so I can fill up another drum.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:51 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,013 Posts

I don't store gas. Crazy eh? I do keep a few 5 gallon cans of gas (cheapest at the time) for my generator and tractor but I don't store gas in any high quantity form.

The way I figure... is a short term emergency (storms, power outages for a couple days, whatever) I don't intend to run my generator unless needed for something specific. (recharging my oxygen converter and cell phones or batteries if needed) So a little bit goes a long way.

In a long term emergency I'd likely be leaving for my bol. A couple 5 gallon cans I can take with me and would be sufficient to get me there. I keep my van and bus full at almost all times. I wouldn't be able to haul large amounts and it wouldn't be safe to store large amounts of fuel at a bol in the middle of a forest.

Economic collapse.... we're already in it. We've learned to lower our fuel consumption to bare minimum out of necessity. Gas here is over $4 a gallon. We mow the lawn less frequently, take fewer trips, and combine/schedule errands to minimize trips and distance as well as planning extra time for things like parking at the grocery store and walking to run all other errands before getting groceries.

long term gas unavailable.... we conserve. We all have bikes, man powered machinery (like my manual mower, hoes, axes, shovels), and a couple solar panels (not much but enough to power some lights or recharge the o2 converter if needed).

If no gas is available for a long time eventually you'll run out or it will go bad. Might as well plan on it to start with and not count on it being there.