Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Never too old to learn!

Default Finding Salt and Iodine in the wild.

Advertise Here

I just spent an hour reading posts related to salt. Most were no help to me. Maybe I was not looking in the right spots. I would like some very practical info. I understand stocking up is one option and have done that to a certain degree but would like some back-ups if something destroys my cache.

1. Known salt licks in the USA. Can include known salt mines. Have found some things on mines with google but limited listing of existing licks. I know many have been built or paved over.

2. How to find salt if natural deposits are not available. From plants, blood, etc. Give details of how to produce it and what has the highest content.

3. A list of sources of iodine if you do not live by the ocean. If plants, what is the quantity needed to prevent sickness.

Any help?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to packhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,420 Times in 732 Posts

Alas Babylon has a great story diversion based upon this very thing. They figured out pretty quickly that they were sweating out a ton of salt but not taking much in. Hopefully all my overprocessed prepperfoods will help me.

Well Ive probably got 50lbs put back as well but good point!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Never too old to learn!

You can get salt from the root of a hickory tree. You can boil the roots until all the water evaporates and black salt crystals are left.

Vegetables that naturally have salt – carrots, [wild carrots (Queen Anne's Lace) ( make sure it isn't Fool's parsley or Poison Hemlock, wild carrots have hairy stems and smell like carrots)], beets.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Father figure

I think if one 'googles' around a bit, you'll find quite a few sources of foods that naturally contain sodium and or iodine.

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.c...ion/iodine.htm

Sodium is a component in many foods such as tuna, pork, peanuts, potatoes, lemons, beets, milk and celery

http://www.alsosalt.com/socounfo.html

That said, I've put back a lifetime supply of salt for pocket change.
Handy stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Floating_Eagle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,098 Times in 449 Posts

I posted Salt as a prepper's necessity a few weeks ago. I got hammered pretty good. I do hope none of those folks read this. We could have a run on salt at the grocery stores and cause the price to go thru the roof.

I live less than 300 miles from the Bonneville Salt Flats. A year after, we will make a deal with groups who control the roads between here and there, for safe passage, and take one of their group along to help harvest several tons of salt to pass out as we return here.

as always,

ISS

Last edited by ISS; 01-23-2011 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: still can't spell
Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 PM
The War to end all Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Hunt Club View Post
Alas Babylon has a great story diversion based upon this very thing. They figured out pretty quickly that they were sweating out a ton of salt but not taking much in. Hopefully all my overprocessed prepperfoods will help me.
Great story, can't believe that is was written in 1959 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISS View Post
I live less than 300 miles from the Bonneville Salt Flats.
I am about 10 miles from the ocean and have a similar plan. Still working on the iodine issue
Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,130 Times in 2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww1military View Post
Great story, can't believe that is was written in 1959 -

I am about 10 miles from the ocean and have a similar plan. Still working on the iodine issue
Kelp is what you seek
The Following User Says Thank You to cranky1950 For This Useful Post: