Survivalist Forum banner
130K views 77 replies 46 participants last post by  Gladius 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm currently looking to purchase a 308 cal rifle, I currently already have a long range rifle capable of 800M engagements, (Rem 700 Police tactical) I also own an AR- (carbine) set up just like an M4. I'm planing on building a mini-SASS in 5.56. so i will have 2.

However I'm looking for a semi-Auto rifle that I use as a DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) Something that is capable of 500M engagements.

Here are my requirements:

Must be capable of adding optics (scope), preferable by way of a rail.

Semi Auto

Magazine fed (hopefully mags are cheap)

1-2 MOA Accuracy (1"-2" at 100yds)

Reliable

18"-20" barrel (prefer 20")

$1500 or so.

AR-10
I was specifically looking at the AR-10 SASS but they are way more than what I want to spend. I thinking possibly buying the upper i want then buying the lower seperatly but idk.

PTR-91
Are HK parts 100% interchangeable? Also Are HK lowers swapable, can i get a select fire hk lower and swap it on there for 3 shot/ full auto capability (I know ATF rules apply, I'm wondering for SHTF purposes)

FN/FAL
???

M1A
???

Any insight or help deciding would be greatly appreciated,

See less See more
#2 ·
Just went through the same dilemma and chose the PTR-91.

However, for your requirements, i might lean towards the m1a scout.

I highly recommend you grab a copy of "boston's gun bible" and read his extremely thorough categorical break-down on all of the above. It was very useful in helping me with my choice.

The final pebble that tipped the scales towards the g3 for me was ruggedness. I haven't fired a single round out of it yet though, so as always i reserve the right to change my mind later and try something different.

God Bless America eh? :)

#3 · (Edited)
Best buy on 308 right now is the PTR GI form CDNN at $900 + shipping and transfer fees. Mags are cheep is the understatement and around 2 min of angle is within reason with any ammo that I shot out of mine.

The auto lowers are pinned and the semi's are cliped and pinned. As far as conversions go others will be able to say.

I should add that I have a PTR, M1A1, and SCAR.

#4 ·
I thought I'd throw my 2 cents. I love my new Rockriver lar-8 elite operator:D:. I truly in love with this weapon, it is very accurate I'm damn near driving tacks at 500 yrds. Ive got a hundred or so rounds through it now with not even one miss feed. Read the reviews on this gun. The reviews are great and I think its actually better than the reviews. I got mine for $1,480 plus tax:thumb:

#5 · (Edited)
I dont think you can go wrong with any of the three - ptr91, m1a or the fn/fal. I dont see where ar10 is an option due to the magazine issue.

However, there are a lot of cheap fn/fals on the market, if you get one, buy the DS Arms

#8 ·
I was in the same boat as you are now several years ago. Requirements were the same as yours, plus a few more to boot.

After trying out the FAL, and HnK91 for myself,(among others) I ended up going with the M1A/M14S for a DMR, which is also my general purpose rifle.

My .02 below.............

1500 bucks = Springfield Armory Inc (SAI) rifles. Either a standard (22in bbl), or a Scout (18in bbl)....... and possibly a Loaded model if you find a good deal on one. Either should meet your precision/distance requirements if you do your part. I prefer the 18's myself.

Optics mounts: I always suggest going with a good quality mount, such as SEI, Sadlak, ARMS, or Bassett. I personally like the last two types mentioned, and really am coming around to the Bassett mount, the more I use it. It doesn't require removal of the cartridge clip guide, is very solid for retaining zero, and once zeroed, it can be removed with optic left in place, and installed later without loss of zero. Also very simple to use, and would meet your requirements for a rail, along with 20MOA built in as well.

www.bassett.com

Semiautomatic/magazine fed means good quality magazines if you like reliability. Current production CMI magazines are very reliable from my experience with them with several different types of M14S/M1A, and M14 service rifles.

44mag.com sells the real thing, and are exactly the same as my issued M14 mags at work. $25 bucks each for the 20rd mags with NSN.

The rifle at top is an M1A-A1 Bush rifle

Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you eventually decide upon.

11B

#15 ·
AR 10 or a Remington R25 due to the capability of changing the barrel or the whole upper.
As far as magazines go Pmags 18.99 or C-Products SS mags 15.99

One point of consideration is straight line recoil from the barrel through to the stock on the modern weapons. Unfortunitly the M1A has a good sized offset that produces more rotational force that ends up as more muzzle climb

#16 ·
Hey all,

I'm currently looking to purchase a 308 cal rifle, I currently already have a long range rifle capable of 800M engagements, (Rem 700 Police tactical) I also own an AR- (carbine) set up just like an M4. I'm planing on building a mini-SASS in 5.56. so i will have 2.

However I'm looking for a semi-Auto rifle that I use as a DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) Something that is capable of 500M engagements.

Semi Auto

Reliable

$1500 or so.

You've just described the perfect rifle, It's an M1A, get a Socom or a Scout Squad. You won't regret it.

Buy an MIA and then save up and get a SAGE EBR stock. It improves the accuracy big time!

#31 ·
Nice.

Which forged receiver are you using for your build?

I went with an LRB Arms M14SA for mine, along with a Criterion chrome lined std contour 18.5in bbl. USGI parts, SEI Vortex DC flash hider and gas lock dovetail front sight. For optics, I'm gonna go with a Bassett mount for this rifle.

11B

#19 ·
Hey all,

Semi Auto

Reliable

$1500 or so.

AR-10
I was specifically looking at the AR-10 SASS but they are way more than what I want to spend. I thinking possibly buying the upper i want then buying the lower seperatly but idk.

PTR-91
Are HK parts 100% interchangeable? Also Are HK lowers swapable, can i get a select fire hk lower and swap it on there for 3 shot/ full auto capability (I know ATF rules apply, I'm wondering for SHTF purposes)

FN/FAL
???

M1A
???

Any insight or help deciding would be greatly appreciated,

DMR?

semi-auto at 500 meters (5 football fields)

why?

I'm looking for a rifle that can reach out to 300-400 meters but also be useful short range (20-100 meters)

#20 ·
Why not? Because I'm a law abiding American. I'm in the military and I've served as a sdm, I've also been to sniper school. I own an m24 clone and have engage targets out to 800m with it. Thanks for letting me know how far 500 meters is, however you are incorrect, 500m actually is equal to 546.80yds.

As to your question of why? One word capability. I have long range capability, I have short range capability, but I want something for in between, that can do short range with more knock down power. With a 3-9x40 you can deffiniatly
Handle short range.

#26 ·
Very timely thread for me, I've been looking at my options for another .308.

I have an M1A. I purchased it years ago and gradually upgraded it to National Match specs - unitized gas cylinder, rear sight, etc. I've used it in competition and I know the rifle inside and out. However, lately I've been thinking of something that I can easily mount an Aimpoint and has better ergonomics.

So... AR-10s are the obvious option, but unlike AR-15s, there is no Mil-std, leaving everything but the basic form up to each manufacturer. So unlike an AR-15, spare parts are an issue. Then there is cost: for a truly dependable AR-10 that your life may depend on, you are going to pay for it. Looking at POF (linked above), LaRue (http://larueosr.com/OBR.aspx), LMT (http://www.lewismachine.net/media/magazines/TW-LMT.pdf), perhaps it would be worth it saving for one. It is tough to swallow a $2500+ price tag when a similar quality AR-15 can be had for $1200-.

RRA LAR-8 is an affordable option, but they cut a few corners with their AR-15s, and I assume it would be the same with their 308 version.

PTR-91 appears very nice. I owned an HK-91 copy-cat rifle at one time and enjoyed it. Downsides include trouble mounting optics and the extraction method virtually destroys the brass.

I'm not very familiar with FALs, but the comments in this thread are similar to what I've heard elsewhere.

#29 ·
The following might be a solution for you since you already own an M1A, and know it inside and out...

aimpoint mounting solutions for the M1A/M14
http://www.ultimak.com/m8.htm
The above will allow for cowitness with the iron sights.

http://www.bassettmachine.com/
http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/ARMS-18.html

I prefer these 2 types personally, but the following is what we use on our M14 DMR's at work presently....
http://www.smithenterprise.com/products09.html

You mentioned that you built your M1A to National match specifications. Does yours sport a glass bedded stock, and are you rolling with a med weight bbl, or std weight?

11B

#28 ·
I've got the money to spend I could get the armalite ar-10 SASS model, but not sure if I wanna dump 3000 on it. I'm having a tough time deciding. Because I wanna buy a few more pistols, another Ar, I want a mini SASS, and maybe a supressor or two... plus some reloading equipment and other preps.I haven't held an Ar-10 but it seems as tho they are fairly large and bulky. plus they are not interchangeable like. Ar's. That's a down side.

#30 ·
In that case, it might all come down to what priority you want to purchase these weapons in.

I wasnt tracking that Airforce were using that much in the way of DMR's. Thanks for the info.:)

No hands on with the civilian version of the M110, but the actual version will produce excellent precision. It will give your M24 clone a run for it's money, but you already know this ifn's your an SDM yourself. The nice thing about the M110 is that everything is issued together, and all of it fits into it's respective case. We leave ours in the case unless needed, as they dont care for the dust and dirt all that much. The M14/M21 rifles are not as precise as the M110, but will reliably fire in any kind of enviroment/conditions.

Like I mentioned earlier....... You most likely already know this.

Note: I have worked with the AF snipers in the past, and would do so again if the opportunity came up. I was impressed by them regarding PCC's/PCI's, and overall professionalism.

11B

#34 ·
All of them will do what you want to do.

The AR-10 will do it relatively cheaper and allow you more options because if the AR platform.

The M1A would be my second choice.

Although nice to own, the PRT-91 (or CETME) and the FAL are expensive and limited relative to your wants. Though a good Century CETME (they are out there) will be the cheapest of the bunch.

AR-10 FTW.....jm2c

#35 ·
I just went to the local gun store anc looked at the Armalite AR-10 SASS ($3,100), And the DPMS SASS($2000). After talking to the store gunsmith and asking what his views were on the two he told me that He gets more armalite SASS rifles and the POF's in for repair than any other rifles. He reccomend that I go with the DPMS SASS. He said he owns one and they are good rifles. Anybody have one out there? He said DPMS SASS has an 18" barrrel. How much FPS would I be short vs. a 20" I was always told that a 20" barrel is the shortest you would wanna go with a 308. What say you?

#38 ·
I have carried a FAL all over creation and can see why over 90 countries adopted it and why it used to be referred to as the "right arm of the free world". If we were still allowed to own them in Kanada, I would have at least one and it would be an 18" barrelled version.

#39 ·
I'm a lefty and owned them all at some point. For right hand shooters who prefer iron sights, the M1A is the finest there is. The FN FAL,, hk91 clones have s@#$y sights and worse triggers. For optics however, the Armalite rules. Period. Witness that Armalite makes their own magazines from scratch and the Magpuls are only offered for the rest of the 308 caliber ARs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.