Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 01-18-2011, 05:29 PM

Default SKS Scope Mount?

Advertise Here

I have a Norinco Paratrooper and 54 year old eyes that require bifocals. In other words me and open sites dont get along very well. What is a good mount to use on a SKS.I would prefer to mount the scope forward of the bolt.
Thanks
Old 01-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Remember The Alamo

Thanked 5,170 Times in 1,949 Posts

Look on E-bay there is always a lot of them on there ot Gunbroker.com,I like tthe rear cover style
Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM
I Sleep with my Boots ON!

Thanked 1,069 Times in 519 Posts

I bought this one, not forward of the bolt and inexpensive and not the best mount option.

Forward of the bolt, Tapco makes a gas tube with pictany rail for forward mount but I don't think they get very good reviews either.
http://www.milsurpstuff.com/products...Furniture&pg=3
Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,753 Posts

You asked a very good question. There are a lot of junk SKS and AK scope mounts out there.

A quick and easy one is the scout scopes mount. Very easy to install, no drilling required. I have one with a leupold M6 scout scope. An extremely accurate rifle. A touch wider than 1" groups at 100 yards with handload. A bit over 1.5" with golden tiger ammo. This mount also has a sight base for it too. One problem with the SKS rifle is the sights can move around. This solves this problem too.

If purchasing a scope for it, then call them to order the longer scope base for it. You need to put the scope forward enough where it won't be hit by spent cases. Buy a quality scope, not a cheapie. Semi-autos are brutal on scopes. When the gas piston slaps into the operating rod, it's like smacking the recticle turrents with a hammer. Burris makes a posi-lock handgun scope. Another great option for this. A less than $100 option is a used swift pistol scope.

When shooting iron sights, you need to keep an eye out for three things. Mainly, focusing on the front sight, keeping the blurry target on the focues front sight, and keeping an eye for a level but a bit blurry rear sight. A aperture sight, more commonly known as a peep sight, completely removes the rear sight problem. Your eye naturally lines up to the rear aperture. Focus on the front sight and but the blur in the middle. Also, proper selection of a target is important. Sometimes having a white background is too much in some light conditions. A Red or green target on a manila or cardboard backing works excellent. A good 6"+ round target works well. Either aim right for the middle of it, or put the sight right on the base of it. either way, have it hit where it points. It doesn't sound logically, but a good sized target it easier to aim at than a tiny one with iron sights. Even an unmarked deer silhouette works great too.

IF your limit is $100 or less, go for the peep sight. The scout mount is about $70 with extended base. The scope is $200 on up. Try shooting a M1A or AR, remember, get a target and shot placement that is repeatable. Yeah, we like holes in the middle of a small circle, but your looking for repeatable small groups here.

http://scoutscopes.com/

http://www.tech-sights.com/

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...m=burris%20ler

My favorite sight is the lyman 66 peep sight for the SKS. I am having a hard time find places that sell the SKS model. I just emailed the company if they are discontinuing it or not. Very asy to install. No fancy measuring needed. Clamp the sight to the reciever, use a large drill bit to have a center for the smaller drill bit. Drill the small hole, tap the hole, tighen it up. Line up the new sight with the current sights, then remove the rear sight. Takes a half hour or less to do. I have the tools and drill bits to do it. I loan them out to folks too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I Sleep with my Boots ON!

Thanked 1,069 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
You asked a very good question. There are a lot of junk SKS and AK scope mounts out there.

A quick and easy one is the scout scopes mount. Very easy to install, no drilling required. I have one with a leupold M6 scout scope. An extremely accurate rifle. A touch wider than 1" groups at 100 yards with handload. A bit over 1.5" with golden tiger ammo. This mount also has a sight base for it too. One problem with the SKS rifle is the sights can move around. This solves this problem too.

http://scoutscopes.com/

http://www.tech-sights.com/

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...m=burris%20ler
Thanks for the links to that mount, very nice setup which I will be looking into...
Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Confused,but not Lost

I have scoutscopes on both my sks and ak and really like the setup.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,373 Times in 30,551 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

The receiver cover and gas tube covers are the worst possible choices. They just aren't stable enough places for long term durability. This is unfortunately, because there are so few good mounting solutions for the SKS.

In my opinion, the side mount offered by Choate is the best solution. But it requires drilling and tapping a couple holes in the side of the receiver (not hard to do) and relieving a little bit of the stock to make room for the mount (also not hard to do). The next best solution is the scout type mounts that attach to the barrel itself, rather than the upper handguard. UTG makes a tri rail that is relatively stable.

Also, Millet makes a rear sight replacement type mount. This is stable if the scope you use isn't very heavy. One of my SKSes wears this mount with a Nikon red dot and it has been extremely stable for over a decade now.

Thanks sailinghudson25. I always overlook the Scout Scopes Mounts for the SKSes. Those look to be an excellant choice too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 02:45 PM

Default Slide cover mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinCT View Post
I bought this one, not forward of the bolt and inexpensive and not the best mount option.

Forward of the bolt, Tapco makes a gas tube with pictany rail for forward mount but I don't think they get very good reviews either.
http://www.milsurpstuff.com/products...Furniture&pg=3
How well does the slide cover mount work? What problems did it have - do the screws loosen? Do the ejected shells hit the scope often?
My Norinco SKS-D (pre-ban) has AK type detachable magazines.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:14 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 7,878 Times in 2,661 Posts

NcStar makes a nice cover and it's very durable. I've had mine on my SKS for quite a few years now with a scope. The only thing you'll need to consider is a brass deflector. I like the ones that mount to the stock iron sights myself and they work fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 03:20 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 7,878 Times in 2,661 Posts

Quote:

So, how do you like that scope. I've found that those scopes suck at 100 yards because the lines are entirely too thick and you can't get a good look at a bullseye (the cross covers the entire bullseye at 100 yards).

This is why I opted for a longer, adjustable scope with a brass deflector

That scope was perfect for my 44Mag Rifle however :D
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 04:21 PM

Default Slide cover mount info -- brass deflectors

America's Patriot Thanks for the information and photos --

Others are writing that the slide cover mount is not that stable. Do those set screws loosen on it? Also, who has the best (and cheapest) brass deflectors?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Prepared

Choate is a good choice.... Just too much movement going on inside the receiver cover and the upper handguard. My next choice would be Tech-sights.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,098 Times in 948 Posts

Or This..........
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=97266.0
Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 PM

Most mounts that replace the receiver cover generally do not fit very well. They often include screws that bite into the receiver in order to provide a "tighter" fit. If you crank down on the set screws, the cover will remain reasonably stable until you remove it in order to clean/lube your rifle. Getting it back in the exact same position can be tricky. Two of the receiver cover mounts that I tried were so loose that I had a hard time returning them to the exact same position after cleaning, so I had to adjust the rifle's zero each time I cleaned it.

Some of the receiver cover scope mounts now come over-sized and you won't be able to insert the rear cover retaining pin until you fit it to your receiver. You have to slowly file down the lower tabs on the front of the receiver cover until it fits (hopefully nice and tight). My friend uses one of these and swears that his scope holds its zero between cleanings.

I also tried one of the Scout Scope mounts and didn't have good luck with it. There was nothing affixing the rear of the Scout Scope mount solidly to the sight block. The rear of the mount kept rising, no matter how tight I made the set-screws on the side of the mount.

I eventually gave up trying to mount a scope and installed a Tech Sights rear peep sight and slim front sight post. This combo is dead-nutts on at 50 yards, and shoots as well for me at 100 yards as my friends SKS with 4x scope. He uses an oversized receiver cover mount, fitted to his rifle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Generic Username For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,373 Times in 30,551 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

The receiver cover and upper handguard are terrible mounting places. Neither are very stable. But on the positive side, the SKS doesn't benefit from magnification anyway. It's neither a target grade gun, nor a long distance once. A non magnifying red dot type sight is really more in tune with the gun's abilities. And there are several stable scout type mounting options that would be ideal for a red dot.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Outdoor Life is Good

I put my Yugo sks in a modern stock, put a 6x scope on it. we can shoot 12oz water bottles at 150 yds all day long. I hear people say these guns are not accurate, I say bs.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:57 PM

There's an outfit called 'BC Tactical' or something like that and they make the 'scout' mount you're looking for. Good product, it replaces the rear sight leaf, rock solid base. Reciever cover mounts are usually problematic. Some are ok, but they require tweaking and fitting. Also you lose zero when you do a field strip. Check out BC Tacticals product.

Kyle
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fort Knox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,988 Times in 693 Posts

here is one I have on a sks, the upper one. I can't remember where I even got it.

The Following User Says Thank You to randyt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Thanks for the links to that mount, very nice setup which I will be looking into...
I second you guys on the scout scope mt. I've not owned one but like the idea very much. I may well do something similar when I can no longer see the sights on my 98k.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dutchmano1 For This Useful Post: