Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-17-2011, 11:54 AM

Default Hiding Food ???

Advertise Here

Hello,

Where does one hide there survival food in an urban enviroment. I unfortunately live in an apartment complex. There is nowhere to hide a few years supply of food.

Even if I rent something in the country, you can't just bury food on rented property...lol.

What would you do ? Living Arizona, it is also hard to dig....lol

Slim

Last edited by Siamslim; 01-17-2011 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: more info
The Following User Says Thank You to Siamslim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Procrastinate Now

Thanked 3,184 Times in 795 Posts

Buy a home.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:06 PM
urban redneck

more info needed....... how much food, 2,3,4,5,6 years worth? when you say a few what do you mean. 1 bedroom or 2. single more info.

but here's a couple when i lived in an apt.

1. raise your beds and store under every bed in house
2. rent a small storage unit thats within walking distance.
3. every corner where you can put something
4. sell the bed and use the whole bedroom, buy a foldout couch.

it's all about what your willing to live with.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dirk21 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 12:08 PM
www.chemflame.com

I'm curious on why your trying to hide food? I can see having a problem on how to store the food, but not sure why your trying to hide it.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:11 PM

Thieves....who have not prepared basically....

When people are hungry...doors will come down....

Slim
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Siamslim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 24,025 Times in 7,295 Posts

You can build furniture inside which you store preps. A couple of end-tables, maybe a sofa table, other kinds of furniture. Under the top of a kitchen table.

My favorite method involves using 5-gallon buckets as the "box spring" for a bed. They're just about the perfect height, and can handle far more weight than would be needed.

Simply put as many under the footprint of the mattress as you can; put plywood or similar on top of the buckets, same footprint as the mattress. Put a bed skirt around the buckets and plywood, to hide them. Put the mattress on top.

Voila!

Buckets are about 12.5" wide w/ lid, so you can calculate how many you can get under a bed. A king-size bed, for instance, has room for 36 buckets under it. Other sizes use less, of course.

A variation is to use buckets for part of the support, leaving room for other non-bucketed preps between and among them.

I've heard it said that one can store a year's worth of food for a single person under a twin bed (Wendy Mae?). I believe it. With the other ideas, I'm sure you can find room.

Another variation is to store them in totes or tubs labeled innocuously with names like "Christmas Decorations" or "College Textbooks" or "Camping Gear" or similar. Nobody's likely to be nosing in something labeled like that.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Real keen on not dying

Thanked 2,131 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamslim View Post
Even if I rent something in the country, you can't just bury food on rented property...lol.
Why not? As long as you keep up the rent, it should be fine. If you ever decide to drop the rental, dig up the cache before ending your lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3
You can build furniture inside which you store preps. A couple of end-tables, maybe a sofa table, other kinds of furniture. Under the top of a kitchen table.

My favorite method involves using 5-gallon buckets as the "box spring" for a bed. They're just about the perfect height, and can handle far more weight than would be needed.

Simply put as many under the footprint of the mattress as you can; put plywood or similar on top of the buckets, same footprint as the mattress. Put a bed skirt around the buckets and plywood, to hide them. Put the mattress on top.

Voila!

Buckets are about 12.5" wide w/ lid, so you can calculate how many you can get under a bed. A king-size bed, for instance, has room for 36 buckets under it. Other sizes use less, of course.

A variation is to use buckets for part of the support, leaving room for other non-bucketed preps between and among them.

I've heard it said that one can store a year's worth of food for a single person under a twin bed (Wendy Mae?). I believe it. With the other ideas, I'm sure you can find room.

Another variation is to store them in totes or tubs labeled innocuously with names like "Christmas Decorations" or "College Textbooks" or "Camping Gear" or similar. Nobody's likely to be nosing in something labeled like that.
Excellent advice.

Failing that, buy bright red 5 gallon buckets, stencil paint the outside with "WARNING BIOHAZARD" and "DANGER INFECTIOUS MEDICAL WASTE" and slap a biohazard sticker on it. If anyone steals that, you might as well just let em have it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Omega Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Farmer

Thanked 21,625 Times in 8,818 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Keep in mind that stock-piling food is NOT a sustainable method of feeding yourself. If you ever do come to depend on that stored food to feed you, then your on a ticking clock until one day it will be empty. It is not sustainable.

With that said, go out in your back yard and setup a tent. You can get a $100 pavilion style tent like folks use in Farmer's Markets. I am a vendor at a FM so I have a couple. Once it is setup in a back corner of your backyard, pull down the sides to enclose the area. Or the other way is to get a metal garden shed.

Now you can safely dig holes without anyone seeing what your doing. Then bury six 55-gallon drums upright in the ground with their lids resting just slightly below grade. You can then store a lot of food in those drums. Place a couple pieces of plywood on the ground over the lids of the drums.

The next step is to start a small garden: potted plants around your apartment, on the porch, window boxes, hanging planters suspended from your eaves, etc. Make it obvious that you are trying to grow flowers and tomatoes.

As you begin your push to have house plants get yourself some potting soil and manure. Store the unused potting soil and manure inside the tent/shed on the plywood. And store a few other garden tools in there as well.

Then anyone visiting, snooping or even looking for stuff to steal, will see that you are a gardener, you have a small shed in the back with a few garden supplies in it.

No urbanite will ever think to dig underneath a pile of manure.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Prepared

Before I bought my current house I did the apartment thing for about 5 years. I had enough food stored to last an easy year. Anybody that came over had no idea. It can be done if you get creative
The Following User Says Thank You to kmech For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,697 Times in 1,731 Posts

Quote:
Thieves....who have not prepared basically....

When people are hungry...doors will come down....

Slim
IMO there is no place in a small apartment you can hide your preps. Best you could do is leave some unhidden and hope they don't search after finding the easy target.

Other than that, I'd be more worried about defending yourself if it comes down to people breaking into your apartment.

Right now the small amount of food I have stored is in my basement. It's only real defense is that the basement is so crowded with other junk it might take them a bit to find it.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Recent Blog:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post

Voila!

will be raising my bed tomorrow great idea!
Old 01-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Matthew 5:7

Default Places to store food

Places to store food that no one will see:

Masterbedroom closet
Cabinet above the fridge
Under the bed
Unused dresser drawer (some of these drawers are deep)

Just be creative!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Still here...

Thanked 1,426 Times in 629 Posts

Caliche is only a few inches to a couple of feet thick. A pick axe is usually enough to get through it, but you can also consider renting a jack hammer from Lowe's or Home Depot. Once you're below the caliche, the soil is easier to get through. A regular shovel is enough.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Target Shooter

Default False wall

If you have the skills you could build a false wall in your bedroom; just deep enough to hold your buckets or boxes of food. You don't even have to use 2x4 lumber; just use 2x2s since you are going for concealment rather than structural stability. Even an 8 or 9 foot wall length could store a massive amount of food when stacked to the ceiling; and no one would ever know. Paint it and put a large mirror on the wall so the room doesn't appear to be any smaller. The larger the room, the less likely anything will look out of the ordinary. This would obviously be for long-term storage since the food would be inaccessible.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,836 Times in 2,455 Posts

Lots of space for #10 cans behind the couch. A false wall wouldn't be possible if the apartment is rented, would it? Maybe boxes on the floor of the closets marked something really boring, like tax receipts or textbooks.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,848 Times in 4,283 Posts

Others have given some very good ideas: Under beds, on top of cabinets and other high places, in unused cabinets and drawers, removing the drawers in dressers and kitchen and stacking food in the empty space behind... If a false wall is not an option but you have large bookcases or an entertainment center, pulling it out a bit and storing cans or pails behind, then covering with wood panels or wall hangings... And a separate storage unit would be good, especially if you were forced out of your apartment and you had clothes and supplies as well as food there...

But my concern in OP's situation wouldn't be having lots of food; but rather, water. You can last a LONG time without food or on limited rations; you won't last more than a few days without water. And in the event of any breakdown where lots of spare food would be good, I would imagine the water is going to stop flowing long before you start getting hungry.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Vincer Aut Mori

it realy depends on what kind of food your storing,dry goods ,canned,bulk items .think outside the box.mayby post some pics of your apt.itwill help us give you some ideas.if you want but if you dont feel comfortable doin that its cool
Old 01-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Vincer Aut Mori

is you apt panneled or drywall?if panneld you can always do some crafty carpenter work.most interior walls are not insulated.you can pull down apiece of panneling fill the wall with can goods put the panneling back up.you now have a wall safe full of food
Old 01-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Hello,

Where does one hide there survival food in an urban enviroment. I unfortunately live in an apartment complex. There is nowhere to hide a few years supply of food.

What would you do ? Living Arizona, it is also hard to dig....lol

Slim
Uhm, Yes you can bury food on rented property. That is what i would do, Arizona has endemic bubonic plague in the mice. keep the mice out..
Old 01-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Professional Amateur

Here's another spot, quick and easy. Get one of those large plastic tubs with a lid that's about the size of a coffee table, cause that's what you're going to use it for. Measure the top to see what size piece of plywood you need to cover it with a little hangover on all sides. They'll cut plywood to size for you at a local big box lumberyard. You can probably get the tub there too. Head to a fabric store and get some nice material to your liking. Enough to drape all the way to the floor on all sides. Fill that sucker up, canned goods or whatever. Storage and a new coffee table at the same time, hehe. Sell your old one to buy more stuff!

D
The Following User Says Thank You to Time Will Tell, huh For This Useful Post: