Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Prepared

Default Best/Worst Cheap Ammo in .45 ACP?

Advertise Here

Can anyone give some insight into the less expensive .45 ACP target rounds like PMC, Magtech, CCI, etc? I plan to test several of these brands at the range and then place a bulk order of whichever seems to work the best in my gun. I realize a lot of this is gun-specific, but am wondering if thereís any brands that keep popping up as one to avoid.

I read several reviews on the Tula .45 ammo and way too many people were reporting squibs for me to feel confident using it. The cheap bulk ammo will be used as an inexpensive reserve to back up a few magazines of Golden Sabers and Gold dots. If this stuff was only for practice I wouldnít be concerned about a few duds out of every 100. Iíd love to stockpile 5000 rounds of top shelf ammo but itís just not in the budget.

Any recommendations from you guys that are shooting a lot of factory, cheap .45 ACP would be greatly appreciated. I donít have the time or money to practice as much as Iíd like to or do any significant testing of multiple brands of ammo.

Also, since I know it will be mentioned, I do not reload. I donít shoot very often right now, but if time and money ever loosen up a little itís at the top of the list. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 PM
FO

Thanked 2,233 Times in 987 Posts

Nice thing about the .45 .... just about anything that weighs 230 gr. traveling at 800-1000 feet a second will hurt the bad guy in a big way. I do have some expensive ammo (Federal HST), but stock mostly Winchester white box from China Mart. I'd be fine with that stuff for target/practice as well as self defense. I rarely find it cheaper than at Wal Mart.

About the "once fired brass", factory reload, china made stuff, yes it's out there and can be a little cheaper, but I'm not willing to mess with it. YMMV.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 13FoxTrot10 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,690 Posts

45 ACP is a very good round in terms of factory consistency. The whole spectrum of manufacturers seem to be okay. Be wary of local reloaders but from major brand names it's usually pretty good stuff.

I have carried all of it at one time or another. I like Cor-Bon, Winchester Ranger SXT and Silvertips, Gold Dots, Hydra-Shoks, HST, Classic, Starfire, Golden Sabre and others. I like it all. Hard to go wrong with anything Federal.
The Following User Says Thank You to AKpredator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Prepared

Thanks for the info, I think you're right about the cheap .45 being pretty consistent.

I picked up a G21 today and put about 250 rounds of target ammo through it. 100 rounds of Winchester white box 230g, 50 rounds of Speer lawman 230g, 50 rounds of Magtech 230g, 50 rounds of 5 year-old Remington UMC 230g, and a handful of old Speer Gold Dot 185g HP. The store had no decent HP ammo in stock.

The gun was right out of the box and didn't appear to be lubed. Zero problems with any brand of ammo.

Hardly scientific or enough rounds to determine if one brand is better than another, but a good enough start for now. I ordered 500 rounds of the Winchester white box FMJ. If I can get through 500 without any (or too many) failures, they may make a decent back-up stockpile for the HP's.

Unrelated, but I noticed that all the FMJ ammo left ragged paper hanging on the back side of the target while the Gold dots left nothing as if the holes were made with a paper punch. When looking at the target from the front, all the holes looked identical.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:25 PM

I have shot a reasonable amount of the white box and like it well enough. It has been problem free for me.

I usually buy the 250 round bulk packs of Federal American Eagle locally. Paying $100 per box it's not the best deal I guess, but not the worst either and it's a small business getting my money instead of Wal Mart.

Speaking of Wal Mart...they have those Remington UMC 250 round boxes of .45 ACP for $84. I think I will try one next, barring an unforeseen deal.

There's also Blazer, which has always worked fine for me. I will pick up the odd box of this now and again when convenient or on sale locally.
The Following User Says Thank You to bad news For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Prepared

The glock should eat most anything you put in it. I haven't shot .45 ACP since I had my Taurus Millenium Pro many years ago, one gun I don't miss (nor does my wrist). It was kinda finicky, had many failures to feed/eject with the CCI blazer, but the Winchester White Box/ Remmy UMC stuff shot fine. Never anything like squibs between those two, or the CCI for that matter.

I don't have any experience with the Tula or other Russian ammo... but if you want cheap yet quality bulk, I'd say go with the either the Winchester/Remington. You can't beat Walmart's pricing on those. I think the quality might be better than the Russian and worth the extra couple of bucks.

I'm trying to get into the habit of picking up at least one box of ammo anytime I go to Walmart... I've got a bad habit of shooting up whatever I have on hand when I'm bored since I can pretty much step out the back door and do it.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:02 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,690 Posts

They say you shouldn't need any lube on a Glock but I rut a dab of synthetic gun oil on the hood and near the muzzle where it has contact with the slide. I also like to keep the feed ramp shiny and the chamber clean. Very solid and low maintenance handgun in any cartridge. In 45 ACP, I have yet to see one that didn't shoot on par with many custom 1911's. The little 30's are amazing.
The Following User Says Thank You to AKpredator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Prepared

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKpredator View Post
They say you shouldn't need any lube on a Glock
One should never listen to 'they', just listen to the owner's manual
Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,287 Times in 629 Posts

Glad to see reloading is at least in your mind, as that is where you will get the big savings. I load .45 acp for $5 a box with lead bullets, and $7 a box with jacketed. Since that is not an option for you right now though, I would say Winchester white box or the federal cheap fmjs. Honestly I would just go to wal mart and buy the cheapest jacked ammo they have that is brass cased. Save your brass now if you are even thinking about reloading in the future. When I really started shooting a lot back when I was about 17 I shot factory ammo and let the brass lay there. I wish I had all that brass back now, as it beats paying for it.

Shooting steel cased ammo is not really a way to save money IMO. You can either sell your spent brass, or save it and reload it or have it reloaded for less than factory ammo. So I really would just pay the extra couple bucks on the front end for brass cased ammo, but that is probably just the reloader in me so take it with a grain of salt if you like.
The Following User Says Thank You to richis7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Hiker

+1 on reloading. I'd highly recommend it. Massive money savings with a moderate outlay of time.

That being said, the most consistent cheap .45 ammunition I've found has been Winchester White box. I actually use their FMJ-FP as defensive ammunition in my .380 auto for better penetration on that anemic cartridge. When I don't reload, that's what I use.

My .02. Use or abuse as you see fit.

Tryste
The Following User Says Thank You to TrysteofFate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Prepared

Thanks for all the info. I realize all the benefits of reloading but realistically it won't be an option for me for at least another year or so. I don't shoot very often so I'm not throwing away as much cash on factory ammo as I could be right now.

A very small consideration when I was choosing between 9mm and .45 was that I felt more confident that 230g hardball ammo would be more effective as self-defense ammo than 9mm hardball. I have a good amount of quality HP's but could never afford to stockpile only expensive HP's and knew I would be relying on some cheaper hardball ammo to fall back on.

I was never a Glock fan (traded a '93 G19 for a Sig245) but wanting a hi-cap .45 with an available compact that shares magazines I ended up with the G21. I considered complimenting the P245 with a P220, but Glock won and I'll be picking up a G30 next month. I still think the Sigs are nicer guns but couldn't be happier so far with the Glock.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Hiker

For Best/worst cheap ammo , the Winchester Whitebox was always good. I can remember 3 years ago 100 rds of that was 25 bux. For worst the steel case Wolf ammo. My bro got 500 of those and it busted his extractor.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,763 Posts

I preffer the wally world Winchester white box 45acp.
I would stay away from the brand American Ammunition, not to be confused with Federal American Eagle which is good stuff.

American Ammunition is a reloaded brand I believe. 5 to 10 years ago there were a few guns destroyed by double charges with AA ammo.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,287 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
I preffer the wally world Winchester white box 45acp.
I would stay away from the brand American Ammunition, not to be confused with Federal American Eagle which is good stuff.

American Ammunition is a reloaded brand I believe. 5 to 10 years ago there were a few guns destroyed by double charges with AA ammo.
The brass they use is also a little thicker than say a piece of winchester brass. As a result some guns that have tighter chambers will not feed very reliably with American ammo.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Philosoprepper

Thanked 5,426 Times in 1,728 Posts

Just another +1 on reloading, and casting for the .45 ACP. Since this is a survival board, I encourage everyone to take up reloading and casting very soon. The time is coming all too soon when buying ammo at WalMart ain't an option. I also suggest you try taking your reloading/casting gear camping in the woods, not in the shop or garage, just to get a feel for it. The time may come when you run out of your stockpile, or have to vacate your BOL. Could happen, just a thought.

As far as price, I have less in my reloading/casting gear for .45 acp than the $100 price quoted here for 250 rds, including tools, 1# powder, 1000 primers, 300 pcs brass, and lead. They're not SD but they'll produce the desired effect on the target.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Hunter

Have had good luck with S&B as well as Fiocchi hardball. S&B seems a little
"dirtier" but not much more that the generic big name ammo.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:53 PM

Never had a problem with Magtech or PMC - stay away from CCI.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 AM

At my local WM the Federal Champion is cheaper than WWB and the 9mm groups well out of my G19, haven't tried it in .45 out of my G21C yet as I'm still using up some surplus ammo.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Getting there....

For me, the best is the Federal stuff in the maroon box. It runs like $14 or so at local Wal*Mart stores. I tried the Wolf ammunition and to be honest, the Russkies load their stuff a little to light for U.S. weapons. I could feel a measurable difference in it in my Commander.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Prepared

Cool

Dumped 2000 wolf 45 in my kimber no problems!