Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 PM

Default 308 Enfield

Advertise Here

Local gun shop has a indian 308 Lee Enfield for 275$ is this a good deal or not?? I know zero about the Indian Enfields.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:17 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,748 Times in 2,815 Posts

I don't know what they go for now, or which version this is (carbine? rifle?), but I have seen the Ishapores in years past go for about $150, not closer to $300. Now if it was already a carbine, especially if it had a Scout scope mount (and a cheap pistol scope) on it like the one I bought for about $230, then it would maybe be worth it.

Shop around.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:42 PM

I have had a little experience with these rifles and think pretty highly of them. They were built from the beginning for the 7.62 NATO so they are not conversions from .303 British, and they used quality steel in their construction. They are a bit heavy and in a disaster having a heavy rifle slung over your shoulder might be tiring. Also, the two examples I am familiar with both had issues with their magazines. Perhaps that's a freak occurrence that both had the same issue, but if I owned one I'd buy a couple of extra mags and practice with them to the point of making sure they were dependable. Still 12 rounds of .308 in a fast-firing bolt action could make an Ishapore a great "do-it-all" option. Especially in a Scout Rifle configuration. (I just did an episode on my podcast about Scout Rifles and I believe I may have even mentioned the Ishapore Enfield. The episode is located here: http://chipmonk.podbean.com/2011/01/...-for-survival/ )
Good luck with your decision.
Chip Monk
Host of the Chip Monk Family Survival Podcast
chipmonk.podbean.com
Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Check out www.gunbroker.com you can get an idea of what they are going for
Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Fly it Northward

Buy it...if ya don't like it I'll buy it from ya...they're hard to find here...I love the Enfield action and I like .308. The .303 is good but it's getting expensive to shoot (the surplus stuff from the war is all gone now) and hard to find. .308 is cheaper and easier to find.

No matter what model of Enfield you get they are all easy to "sporterize". There are eve synthetic stocks available for a reasonable price.

That's my HO...
Old 01-12-2011, 07:59 PM

You used to be able to buy a scope mount and synthetic stock for the .308 enfield but I haven't seen them for sale for a while. I would buy a scope mount and cut down and use the wooden stock. A vortex flash hider ? Smith enterprises would be nice as well.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:30 PM

Anyone know of a scope mount for the Ishapore that doesn't require machining? ..or at least not much. I really don't want to permanently modify this rifle.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:06 PM
To the surface!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=scope+mount+enfield+no+machining
Old 03-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,437 Posts

I bought a few of them quite awhile ago when they were affordable. (Never tried to add optics to any, as my purpose for them didnt require it.

I like them as a "backup"/ cache rifle because it shares the same ammo as our clan's primary rifles. (M1A/M14)

Here is a few things off the top of the ole noggin about what I found.

1.Compared to a 303 Enfield, mine didnt run as smooth while operating the bolt.

2. The rear sights are calibrated for 7.62x51mm 147gr FMJ, but I have run across a few that were equiped with 303 calibrated sights.

3. One of mine had a hair line crack in the foregrip area of the stock. (Might want to examine the one you found closely for cracks)

4. I only ran MILSURP/ Q3130 through mine. These rifles chambers are reported to handle fodder with 7.62x51mm presures only. Some commercial stuff may be too hot for them.

5. Mine were very dirty when I bought them, and had some type of preservative smeared over the residue.... (Similar to cosmoline). It was fairly easy to remove with brake cleaner however. (And alot of elbow grease.

6. Once I got them cleaned up/properly lubricated..... they functioned fine.

I suggest that you take your time examining it before you pull out your wallet. If everything checks out, then the price is decent for a Ishapore 2A.

11B
Old 03-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,194 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Monk View Post
I have had a little experience with these rifles and think pretty highly of them. They were built from the beginning for the 7.62 NATO so they are not conversions from .303 British, and they used quality steel in their construction. They are a bit heavy and in a disaster having a heavy rifle slung over your shoulder might be tiring. Also, the two examples I am familiar with both had issues with their magazines. Perhaps that's a freak occurrence that both had the same issue, but if I owned one I'd buy a couple of extra mags and practice with them to the point of making sure they were dependable. Still 12 rounds of .308 in a fast-firing bolt action could make an Ishapore a great "do-it-all" option. Especially in a Scout Rifle configuration. (I just did an episode on my podcast about Scout Rifles and I believe I may have even mentioned the Ishapore Enfield. The episode is located here: http://chipmonk.podbean.com/2011/01/...-for-survival/ )
Good luck with your decision.
Chip Monk
Host of the Chip Monk Family Survival Podcast
chipmonk.podbean.com
All the Indians did was take their built under licence .303 British Enfield rifles, changed the barrel and the bolt face, modified the magazine and put a new set of sights atop the guns...Yes, they used different steel for the receivers, to handle the increased pressure of the .308/7.62mm but they used all the dies, gauges, lasts for the Enfield to complete the rifles.

There is no such thing as an Ishi scope mount or after market stock--they're all made for the Enfield and they all fit because all the Ishapore is, is an Enfield with a different chambering.

Same as what millions did with their P14/M17, Springfields, Mausers, Mannlichers, Enfields, Mosin Nagants and Arisakas when they changed them out to some other calibre.

They are great guns and (depending on condition) that is a good price for a solid, reliable, accurate rifle.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Crusty Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,310 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
4. I only ran MILSURP/ Q3130 through mine. These rifles chambers are reported to handle fodder with 7.62x51mm presures only. Some commercial stuff may be too hot for them.
Misconception.

The pressures are about the same. See my white paper at http://www.survivalistboards.com/dow...o=file&id=1756

You actually have a better chance of having high pressures with military surplus ammo, since pressure variances is a common reason many militaries surplus batches of ammo.
The Following User Says Thank You to FALPhil For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 04:07 PM
To the surface!

I agree.

I have seen this mentioned time and time again with 7.62x51 and even 5.56x45 with rifles with "commercial" (.308 Winchester and .223 Remington) vs the "mil-spec" chamber dimensions. And also mentions made of inferior steel, etc.

In short I think a lot of people are just repeating what they have heard on the internets. I have owned a number of 7.62x51 "mil-surplus" rifles, including 3 Ishapore Enfields and several FR8 "Spanish" Mausers, shot both military and commercial ammo in them all, not to mention various other commercial/civilian versions of military rifles, and I have never seen any sign of either commercial or mil-surplus ammo having problems or showing signs of too much pressure in any of these rifles.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heretic View Post
I agree.

I have seen this mentioned time and time again with 7.62x51 and even 5.56x45 with rifles with "commercial" (.308 Winchester and .223 Remington) vs the "mil-spec" chamber dimensions. And also mentions made of inferior steel, etc.

In short I think a lot of people are just repeating what they have heard on the internets. I have owned a number of 7.62x51 "mil-surplus" rifles, including 3 Ishapore Enfields and several FR8 "Spanish" Mausers, shot both military and commercial ammo in them all, not to mention various other commercial/civilian versions of military rifles, and I have never seen any sign of either commercial or mil-surplus ammo having problems or showing signs of too much pressure in any of these rifles.

I found similar results as you regarding the Norinco / Polytech M14S while they were still being imported into the U.S.

I didnt spend the same ammount of time with the Ishapore2A, as they were a different animal for my needs.

Also been out of the loop as of late. (Work related thing).

Like I said, I only fired Win Q3130 thru them. This is Win USA 147gr M80 Ball.( Not Milsurp) I didnt mention anything regarding chamber dimensions. This is more of a "Ishapore specific" issue that I had researched at the time.....regarding metalurgy of the rifle itself.My findings on this specific issue was inconclusinve, and I basically moved on to other rifles, and cahed the 2A's

I would be interested on your hands on findings with this rifle however.

Thanks

11B
Old 03-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
Misconception.

The pressures are about the same. See my white paper at http://www.survivalistboards.com/dow...o=file&id=1756

You actually have a better chance of having high pressures with military surplus ammo, since pressure variances is a common reason many militaries surplus batches of ammo.
I am not the best when it comes to working this forum and it's various sites. IE... I couldnt find anything regarding your link.

Most likely the issue is on my end....

Very interested in your findings however, and would appreciate a better direction as to your findings on the subject.

Feel free to PM me with info in this matter, as I do not want to take this thread in a wrong direction.

Thanks again.

11B
Old 03-30-2013, 12:55 AM
Hiker

i have seen about a dozen enfields but all were .303 otherwise i would own at least one.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:29 AM
Crusty Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,310 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
I am not the best when it comes to working this forum and it's various sites. IE... I couldnt find anything regarding your link.

11B
Here is another link to the document. Just click on it:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/46153617/T...n-and-762-NATO

Essentially, the research I did shows that the pressures between 308 Win and 7.62 NATO are roughly the same for the simple reason that physics does not allow differences in mean pressure when the velocity is the same, all other things equal.

It also exposes the root cause of the myth as a US Army document that erroneously reports C.U.P. as the same unit as PSI.