Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Ladies Section
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 01-10-2011, 12:28 PM

Default Recommend shotgun for women?

Advertise Here

Anyone have any suggestions on a good "small" shotgun for women? I've tried shooting the bigger ones and got blown backwards every time. I don't want a cannon, just something good for small game and defense...

thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to jkilby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm keeping my eye on you

Many manufacturers make 16 ga. shotguns which work well for many women and children. I used to hunt as a child with a double barrel 16 ga. and it worked well for me.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,413 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I have and use a 20-gauge shotgun myself. I HAVE used a 12-gauge on occasion, but my shoulder really takes a beating. 20-gauge, however, I can shoot comfortably for extended periods. I'm 5'1", so if I can handle a 20-gauge, you should be able to. WHile 12-gauge seems to be the MOST commonly available size for ammo, 20-gauge is probably the NEXT most available. Other gauges seem to be a LOT harder to find, at least in my area.
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Ranger

Any good brand of semi-auto shotgun will have less recoil than a pump or break open gun.

It's important the the "length of pull" be correct. That means how long the stock is. Then you can tuck in nice and snug and roll with it when it fires.

The rest of it is just using proper technique, you can learn that.

My wife is 5'4 and average size. She can fire a Remington 1100, 12 ga. with no problems.

Not all shells are equal, some are tailored to be light shooting while others are heavy duty.

The 12 ga. is the most usefull gauge
The Following User Says Thank You to stevetexas For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 01:30 PM
"Fly birdies! fly!"

Thanked 24,192 Times in 6,868 Posts

I've seen a lil lady shoot a 20 Gauge pretty well. I would not go lower than 20 gauge.

12 Gauge is more universal, a Knoxx Stock and/or reduced-recoil shells would help.

I do believe practice allows you to get used to the recoil.

NO PISTOL GRIPS
Old 01-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Experiment 626

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,084 Posts

If you buy this stock for it, you can use any of the popular 12ga shotguns out there with little recoil. http://www.botachtactical.com/knspadst.html

It's the Knoxx Specops shotgun stock. It has a built in recoil absorbing mechanism that is much like the shock absorbers on your car. They make them to fit mossbergs and remington 870's.

If you are still afraid that it will be too much, you can get the 20ga 870 and still install this stock on it for a really comfortable ride.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 7,475 Times in 2,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilby View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on a good "small" shotgun for women?

The 20 gauge is a good choice for home defense- man or women. They make buckshot loads for it and also slugs.

Something set up like this.

When you buy the youth model, you get a shorter 20" barrel and a length of pull that's shorter than an adult sized shotgun. With the shorter barrel it's easier to move around in the house with and it's also a little lighter than a full size shotgun. The shorter length of pull allows you to fit the gun with a thick recoil pad to soften recoil and also lengthen the shotgun to an adult length of pull if need be. Mrs Cricket loves her shotgun. It's her favorite home defense firearm.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Here to learn

As a woman, I second the person who suggested the Remington 1100 (I believe it's called the 1187 now). Any semi-auto shotgun will have less recoil due to the way they operate. I think any woman could handle a 12 gauge using this type of shotgun, but they also make it in a 20 ga. When learning to use it, use light loads to start, and keep the gun pulled tight into your shoulder and don't lift your head. The idea is you don't want the recoil to get a running go at you. Recoil feels like a "push" if you have the gun properly set into your shoulder. It will feel like a "punch" if you hold it off your shoulder.
The Following User Says Thank You to EagleRiverDee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 07:51 PM
the righteous warrior

Remington 870 Short barrel shotgun with Knoxx folder.

end of thread ....
Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 PM
grease monkey

Thanked 2,317 Times in 986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilby View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on a good "small" shotgun for women?
I prefer a rifle with more stopping power. That way they can't get away and cal the cops afterwards!

/apologies in advance....LOL
Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 PM

I also support the idea of a Remington 1187 in 12 or 20 gauge or a 870 in 20 gauge. The reason is that you can change barrels. A short barrel for defense and longer barrels for skeet and hunting. I am currently preparing a 870 in 20 gauge for my 19 year old daughter. Last Thanksgiving my liberal sister was in town from LA. I took my daughter and sister out to shoot skeet. My daughter can shoot doubles (two skeet thrown at the same time). My 56 year old sister had never fired a shotgun and is dubious about civilian gun ownership but was hitting about 50% with the 20 gauge 870 by the time we finished.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,988 Times in 3,332 Posts

If you are petite, try a 20 guage youth gun.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM
the righteous warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
If you are petite, try a 20 guage youth gun.
or if you you are a regular sized women, a 12 gauge is fine with a shock absorbing stock if needs be.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Small Burrowing Creature

Thanked 1,673 Times in 916 Posts

I'm five foot even, but not super delicate. I shoot 12 gauge. I just don't like long barrels and I do like custom stocks. I need to cut down as much length as possible, because length is what kills me, not recoil.

At the moment I'm eyeing the Stoegar side-by-sides for pure simplicity. http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...coach_guns.php Not incidentally, they also have 20" barrels. Not a bad thing for defense even if you're willowy and have legs for days.

I haven't found a youth 12 gauge or I would look into that. I don't want to step down to a 20 because the ammunition is comparatively less common.
The Following User Says Thank You to Republican Bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 09:35 PM
the righteous warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republican Bunny View Post
I'm five foot even, but not super delicate. I shoot 12 gauge. I just don't like long barrels and I do like custom stocks. I need to cut down as much length as possible, because length is what kills me, not recoil.

At the moment I'm eyeing the Stoegar side-by-sides for pure simplicity. http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...coach_guns.php Not incidentally, they also have 20" barrels. Not a bad thing for defense even if you're willowy and have legs for days.

I haven't found a youth 12 gauge or I would look into that. I don't want to step down to a 20 because the ammunition is comparatively less common.

what she says, X 3.14 !
Old 01-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Hiker

my 2 cents worth

Stick with the 12ga and the pump action. Buy a tactical version with an adjustable stock and short barrel.

As a home defense weapon this is the best. You have more than 2 shots before you need to reload and any thief that hears the sound of you racking that first shell is probably gonna poo his pants as he runs away.

As a hunting rifle you will want a longer barrel. but you can still put an aftermarket stock on any gun.

So find a gun you like and add a few things to make it fit you better.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Hiker

look at the mossberg 590A1 special purpose
Attached Thumbnails
51670.jpg  
Old 01-11-2011, 04:59 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 6,897 Times in 1,968 Posts

My favorite gun is the first one my husband got for me, a .410. It's more for fun though. It's good to use if you just need to get your feet wet.
My husband told me that when I was actually hunting I wouldn't feel the recoil from his 12 guage. He was right. It felt no different than my .410 when I was using it for a purpose.

If you don't know a lot about guns and just want somewhere to start I would suggest a high power rifle. I like my husband's 30.06(?). Sorry, I don't know for sure how it's written but I like that gun. It's accurate for a long distance and there isn't a bad kick with it.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,277 Times in 509 Posts

As some have said, its all in the load and how you are mounting the gun. I'm wondering why you say "small" shotgun. Don't tell me, someone gave you a 12 gauge with slugs to try.. . . . . it doesn't have to be that way!!!

I shoot clays regularly at a local range. I won't tell you how many men show up with women or kids and hand them some sort of duck gun with magnum loads or some sort of youth model with heavy loads. They end up bruised and hate the sport by the time they are done. I'm not a fan of youth models -- they are tiny and lightweight. A kid showed up with one and tried to shoot it -- then I tried to shoot it -- not pleasant even for someone with a seasoned shoulder.

I'm 5'-6" average build and I shoot standard size 12 gauge shotguns. I am fussy about my loads because I do alot of shooting. I have not cut down any of my guns. I have an over/under, 870 pump and a semi-auto.

There are a couple of "petite-r" women there who also shoot 12 gauge. One specifically shoots an 1100. The recoil still depends on the load. The heavier the load -- the more thump to the gun. I can tell exactly what load she is shooting by watching how far her shoulder moves. I have semi-auto that I started shooting with and am not that impressed with the recoil reduction. Semi autos can be dirtier to maintain.

A light weight 20 gauge with a heavy load will recoil nearly as much as a 12 gauge with a lighter load. There is less mass to absorb it.

You have to mount the gun firmly into your shoulder and plant your face on the stock. That way when you fire the gun, you move with the gun as one unit rather than the gun moving to the point of least resistance.

I own a 20 gauge 870 Express that a poster mentioned. I bought this gun specifically for field hunting. Its a sweet shooting, inexpensive little gun. I'm currently in the market for an 870 field gun in 12 gauge.

As for a rifle, I opted for a Rem. 700 in 270. Haven't had a deer roll over yet and say, geez couldn't you have used a bigger caliber?
The Following User Says Thank You to CBP For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 AM

Smile Lots of great advice

Thanks so much for all the useful advice. Now I have several options to go out there and try!!!