Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 01-07-2011, 03:32 PM

Default Seeds from store bought fruits and veggies

Advertise Here

will the seeds for store bought fruits and veggies grow if planted in a garden? I thought I have heard that they are radiated or something that sterializies them. Is this true?
The Following User Says Thank You to seansco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 05:36 PM

Don't know about irradiation, but I would think that a lot of veggies and fruits are picked before they're completely ripe so they ship better so possibly the seeds aren't mature enough to be used for germination. Also, if the seeds do keep and sprout, how do you know they're not hybrids or gm's?

I do know that a few years ago, I could buy sweet potatoes and root them for slips to plant in the Spring but they're now treated so they're almost impossible to force to root and put out leaflets from their "eyes".

I have bought bags of dried beans in grocery stores when they're on sale and planted some of those with good results.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

About the only radiated food I know of is the POPPY seeds in the spice rack. They are not supposed to sprout. I know several people who have tried it. The root foods in the produce aisle are usually good. Ginger, Jers. artichoke, sweet potato, potatoes-no, buy seed potatoes. I have sprouted tomatoes -some did and some didn't. Buy some and try. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Sunshine On My Shoulders

Thanked 4,089 Times in 2,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesquite View Post
Don't know about irradiation, but I would think that a lot of veggies and fruits are picked before they're completely ripe so they ship better so possibly the seeds aren't mature enough to be used for germination. Also, if the seeds do keep and sprout, how do you know they're not hybrids or gm's?

I do know that a few years ago, I could buy sweet potatoes and root them for slips to plant in the Spring but they're now treated so they're almost impossible to force to root and put out leaflets from their "eyes".

I have bought bags of dried beans in grocery stores when they're on sale and planted some of those with good results.
most of the fruits you get in the store are from grafted trees, and if you plant the seeds you get good root stock but when the trees eventually bear the fruit will look nothing like the fruit you got from the store. Wild citrus is like that, it's often pretty ugly, apples are another, usually fruit from seed you can cook with but you'd never want to eat it raw. Beans and legumes and stuff will grow well though. Peppers seed will grow good too. I usually get a bag of raw peanuts to grow peanuts. Pumpkin squash and mellon seeds will grow too. It's still easier to buy seeds and they are treated so they won't rot or get fungus in damp soil as easy as untreated seeds.
The Following User Says Thank You to cranky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2011, 12:10 AM

Apples are, generally speaking, the product of the egg of an actual apple tree (Golden Delicious, Pippin, Macintosh, whatever) plus the pollen of a crabapple. If you use appleseeds, you will generally be growing a hybrid of the two. The reason for this, apparently, is that regular apple trees aren't so good at producing pollen, whereas crabapples are.

I have personally grown sweet potatoes, green onions, blackeyed peas, garlic, and roma tomatoes from store-bought food.

Roma tomatoes don't breed 100% true, according to various sources, but they are still pretty consistent. When I looked it up, this gray area was called being "open pollinated".
Old 01-08-2011, 04:29 AM
Bonafied Gardening Nut

Thanked 4,005 Times in 1,521 Posts

Most commercial vegetable growers purchase new seed stock for the season, so the focus is on harvesting produce only with no real buffer zones.
These closer nit grow field patterns leave the potential for cross pollination between various cultivars highly possible, making any seed used from the harvest suspect at best.

Obviously the hybrid varieties would be useless for seed harvest, but the heirloom varieties would also be compromised as far as seed genetic replication.
They can produce a plant and harvest, but may have a "wild" factor built in.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:52 AM
Follow your own star

Thanked 2,946 Times in 953 Posts

I have grown potatoes,bell peppers,tomatoes and many more from veggies and fruit I bought.
Any food that has seeds I save I just planted a ton of cherry seeds last year so I wont know till spring if they grow.
If you have the room and need trees on your property what can it hurt to plant the seeds?You neve know what you will get.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,753 Posts

Most seed will produce fruit. I have grown potatoes from spuds, peppers, tomatoes, onions that started to grow, cucumbers, as well as string beans. However, it all about genetics. Commercial farming is a very lucrative business. So, they select the best seeds for their situation. They want to produce the fastest growing seed that produces high yeilds for their style of farming. All the while producing good looking produce that freezes wel is a very high priority.

Those priorities may not match your needs. Heirloom seeds are from stock that is easy to produce for the average bakcyard farmer. They are usually more drought and disease resistant. Also, where are those foods grown? A good tomatoe stock for costa rica will not be that good for new hampshire. Pay close attention to the zone chart and growing days.

Many folks think they got a bunch of seeds, they can instantly have a big lush garden. Gardening is lifetime art. Every year you get better and better at it. What grow good next to what, what soil one like, detecting early signs of problems and ways to solve the problem. Alteast have a small garden with a variety of food and experiment with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2011, 03:02 PM
The last of the Ravens

Thanked 8,202 Times in 814 Posts

most fruit seeds and squash seeds from fruit in the store will grow, as will most nuts too
Old 01-10-2011, 05:27 AM
Small Burrowing Creature

Thanked 1,673 Times in 916 Posts

There's a book I just got my mom called "Don't Throw It - Grow It" that is about propagating plants from grocery store fruit and veggies.

I've not read it yet, but it's at Barnes and Noble for not very much money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Republican Bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,748 Times in 2,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootie View Post
potatoes-no, buy seed potatoes.
Why not? On the family farm we used to plant potatoes from our grown potatoes all the time - we just cut them up and planted them. We had very good success from that.

I buy potatoes all the time that sprout after a short time.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:59 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,748 Times in 2,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1950 View Post
most of the fruits you get in the store are from grafted trees, and if you plant the seeds you get good root stock but when the trees eventually bear the fruit will look nothing like the fruit you got from the store.
Yes, a lot of the trees in our orchards on the family farm (now sold) were grafted trees to get the hybrid root stock with the better fruit (whether it was nuts or fruit). I still remember watching my grandfather doing the grafting in the nursery.

Generally, if you are going to invest in the land, time and upkeep for trees, then buy some stock from people who know what they are doing in this regard, or learn how yourself. It only takes a few trees of each type to yield a lot of fruit capable of feeding a family - you don't need a large orchard. We had one peach, one apple and one pear tree and those large trees (v. smaller miniature fruit trees) produced more than enough fruit (when canned) to feed two large families on our farm.

Our farm mostly produced nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts) and some fruit (mostly berries) and wheat/oats/barley, so we didn't sell the fruit from the trees.

Generally though, it would be good to have more than one tree producing a particular fruit, if for no other reason than a tree can get sick or be injured and die (or get infested with bugs/mold/etc.) and it takes a long time for a new tree to grow.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Propagator

I have had success growing Watermelon, Cantelope, Peppers, and Peaches, all from Store bought fruit. Some commercial fruit varieties produce seed which is sterile. I suppose to protect their genetics from unauthorized propagation.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Trapper

www.rareseeds.com
Old 01-14-2011, 04:11 AM

I love potatoes
Old 01-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Hunter

You can plant seeds from an apple, but you will not get that variety of apple tree. The reason is that apple trees have such a huge variety of genes. The only way to get say, a Granny smith, is to sprout an apple seed, and then graft a branch of a granny smith tree onto the root.
There are people who plant thousands of apple trees, hoping that one of them will be a commercially viable variety.
Note I said commercially viable, not edible. They will all be edible, but may taste horrible, be susestable to a local disease, ect.
Your best bet is to check with your state agg office and see what variety of apple grows best where you live, then buy some from a nursery.

I would not sprout seeds from vegetables found in the grocery store unless you have spare space in your garden. Those variety's were grown on a farm where it was best adapted to local conditions, and ships well. Find out from you agg office what grows best in your area. No sense trying to grow a squash in Maine that grows best in Georgia.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,326 Times in 2,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansco View Post
will the seeds for store bought fruits and veggies grow if planted in a garden? I thought I have heard that they are radiated or something that sterializies them. Is this true?

alot of things are radiated but when talking about fruits and veggies they are usually picked very early in developement specially in the big grocery chains, so the seeds that come from them will not have had time to mature and will not grow. also you got the chance of getting GMO foods from grocery stores which many of them have been genetically altered the seed to where it will not grow and if it does grow will not bear fruit.

if your going to get your seed from the veggies your best bet is to get your veggies/fruit in season and from a local farmers market. but you will have to wait until the next growing season to plant them because its already to late for that year.

also you really need to learn how to harvest seed from the fruit. some veggies/fruits there is a process inorder to get the seed out of the fruit and keeping it viable. i highly suggest getting the book "seed to seed"
Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Collection Collector

I've grown the following all from local Giant produce dept bought items:

Peppers
Tomatoes
Herbs
Avacados (never will go to fruit I've heard though) still growing years
Pineapple
Cukes
Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Pumpkins
Peaches (never got fruit)

All as an experiment.
I exchange Heirloom seeds with a group for Real Veggies...
Old 01-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Collection Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammygene View Post

http://www.landrethseeds.com/

I'm lucky to have this within a 30 minute drive from home.