Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Surviving

Default Pack Alarm perimeter warning system

Advertise Here

Does anyone own one of these?

http://www.packalarm.net/

It looks like it'd be a good system to warn you if something (or someone) is coming. I could see using it around my tent when camping at night. Give me a chance to get my flashlight and gun out.

There's a video here that gives a better idea of how it's used:
I was thinking of getting one, but $50 seems a bit steep. You could probably make one just as effective with fishing line and a personal defense alarm with a pull pin.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,288 Times in 1,344 Posts

Nice
Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 PM

when my buds and i go camping with our atv's we carry 2 battery operated driveway monitors, cheap at harbor freight. excellant coverage. put them above our tent and get almost 360 deg. coverage
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trukboss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Surviving

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukboss View Post
when my buds and i go camping with our atv's we carry 2 battery operated driveway monitors, cheap at harbor freight. excellant coverage. put them above our tent and get almost 360 deg. coverage
Great idea. Are they motion detectors or infrared detectors? I'd think motion detectors would go off with any tree branch or bush that swayed in the wind.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 PM
survivalist in training

Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,178 Posts

Quote:
Link pretty please with sugar on top...or maybe a beer?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 7,324 Times in 2,493 Posts

I like that. I like how much line rolls up inside of the thing.

Here's another way.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Busy infidelin'

Thanked 10,974 Times in 3,967 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I got a dog. Much more reliable.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cool Hand For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 4,962 Times in 2,049 Posts

Dog first, fishing line and fish hooks second (Animals, except for humans, are smart in the dark)

I think I'd rather sit up all night against a tree than rely on that thing.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:59 AM

http://www.harborfreight.com/general...tem-93068.html

they work great, got them around the house,garage and always take them camping. i think they look down at like a 40 deg angle so we park the quads around the tent, put the monitors on a pole and judgeing from the height we can tell when something is in the area. when we ride and stop for a break we just stick one up and know if something comes around
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trukboss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 03:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,063 Times in 4,265 Posts

I actually have sveral of the harborfreight infared alarms . they have a few different ones . they also have motoin sensor lites that I use all through the house. These are all battery operated and supprizingly last a long time .
the alarm I like best is a motion sensor infared , that has a radio remote alarm good for about 300 feet .
you want to remember to map out where you put al the alarms so they are not forgotten when you leave.
I have strongly considdered the string type alarm but it could be a pain if something fell down on it in the nite and you had to go out and fix it and then go back to bed .
single motion alarm units should be good enough, and @ $9 . each the motion activated lites are really the best especially if some on is walking into camp late.
The one in my bed room does not come on at the movement of my covers , only when it senses my body heat out side the covers . It does not come on if there is already light in the room.and It uses 4 AA batteries
I have one in each bath room bed room kitchen and 3 in the living room.and several scattered around out side .
I hope thins helps you .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 11:46 AM
III

Thanked 1,459 Times in 532 Posts

I use a home made system, fishing line, ect. Pretty neat though. I rarely sleep that soundly when I'm out,kinda like when I'm at work. I think a system of whatever type is a prudent idea.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM
survivalist in training

Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,178 Posts

Quote:
This sounds really neat, but I don't understand how you can get 360 degree coverage. How does this work?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 PM

2 monitors back to back on a pole, its not 360 deg coverage but close enough. some notes on these monitors, they look down at an angle so consider that when placing them( why i put them on a pole) or you can just lean them back some so they look out farther. when buying them, the frequency is marked on the box. so what i do is get different frequencys so you know where the action is coming from by what monitor goes off.
as i stated i use these around the house, while camping and i'm never surprised when someone or something shows up.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Perfect Storm of Stupid

I spent 13$ on my perimeter alarm system. About 300' of 30# fishing line, and a $10 120 decibel personal alarm. Works awesome, all you need is to put camp inside of 4 trees, and set it up. Gives you a nice heads up if bears, moose, or two legged creatures come near your tent.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSinAlaska For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Surviving

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSinAlaska View Post
I spent 13$ on my perimeter alarm system. About 300' of 30# fishing line, and a $10 120 decibel personal alarm. Works awesome, all you need is to put camp inside of 4 trees, and set it up. Gives you a nice heads up if bears, moose, or two legged creatures come near your tent.

I like it!

Much cheaper than the packalarm system above. I also like that it is a passive system and not an active system like a motion detector. In other words it isn't constantly using battery power to protect you - the batteries are only drawing power when it is actually alarming (hopefully a rare event). Some questions though:

What do you use to wind/unwind the fishing line?

Do you just tie the fishing line back together if something breaks it?

Any issues with tension on the line (from swaying trees, wind, etc) pulling out the pin on the personal alarm causing a false alarm?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Perfect Storm of Stupid

I have the original spool the line came with, just unwind it by hand. Having a long distance, gives me a bigger perimeter, or smaller, depending on what I want to do. You can also use sticks or stakes if you don't have a series of convenient trees. I haven't had any issue with false alarms, it seems the alarm has a good enough pull pin setup, where it takes a bit of force to pull it out. Not too much force, or it'll break the fishing line, that's why I use 30# or higher. It takes a 9V battery, and doesn't drain it unless it's actively going off. Boy I tell ya, the first time I heard it, I woke up and had my hand on my .45-70 faster than I ever thought I could. It was just a baby moose though.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:35 PM
The Odd Wanderer

Hey JSinAlaska, what personal alarm do you find works best? Do you have a make/model or preferably a link on where to buy it?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Ding... Thanks for playin

Thanked 7,387 Times in 2,078 Posts

Tyger Leader and a snap light warning system… Light weight and very easy to use and set up
Old 01-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Surviving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner-Fisherman View Post
Tyger Leader and a snap light warning system… Light weight and very easy to use and set up
How do you set it up so the snap light breaks? Is the light near your head so it wakes you?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Perfect Storm of Stupid

I can't remember the brand... basically it has a pull pin attached to the square housing with a strap on the end. It's pretty loud, you can't miss it inside or out. It also has a light that flashes. They all pretty much look the same, and range from 8-20$ online. Just google 'personal security alarm'..