Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Survivalist in Training

Default How many beans to a bucket?

Advertise Here

So my local bakery has been kind enough to save all their food grade buckets for me and thus far hasn't questioned why I continue to pick up an average of 10 per week although I am starting to get some looks lol. I've gotten quite a few 1 gal and a couple 5 gal buckets and I'd like to start filling them but I want to avoid any waste as far as O2 absorbers go when I open the package. Can anyone tell me how many pounds of beans/ rice/ pasta will fit into one 1 gal or 5 gal bucket? Also with egg noodles and other pasta that comes in plastic bags do you suggest keeping them in their original packaging before putting them into the mylar bags or taking them out? Is there a list anywhere that shows what foods are appropriate/recommended for long term (15yrs+) storage?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,858 Times in 32,497 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

It depends on which beans, but a 5 gallon bucket holds about 35 pounds or so. Same with the rice. I've never actually weighed it. This is just from eyeballing how much of a 50 pound bag fits.

All foods should be removed from their packaging before sealing in mylar. Otherwise you're just trapping the O2 that you want to remove, inside with the food.

Most any dried food that is low in fat can store long term if packed with an O2 absorber. Some foods last longer than others. For example, whole wheat berries last longer than flour because of the increased surface area of the flour.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Fishing on a river

Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
It depends on which beans, but a 5 gallon bucket holds about 35 pounds or so. Same with the rice. I've never actually weighed it.
When I first started bucketing food I weighed it just to find out and 35# is what I average depending on the product.

The 1 and 2 gallon buckets I use for the extra that I have from bulk purchases and I use it for everyday cooking. Eat what you store and store what you eat. No mylar or absorbers needed for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bullets~n~Beans For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 PM
I drink your milkshake!

Thanked 2,695 Times in 976 Posts

I read the title to this thread and it reminded me of the old drug stores that would have a jar of jelly beans on the counter and you could guess how many were in there. The closest one won a prize.

Anybody else remember those?

I was going to guess 4,327,782 beans in a bucket.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onemoreday For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,745 Times in 3,372 Posts

I'm probably not filling mine as much as others since I average about 33 pound per bucket. That way I use 3 buckets for 2 - 50 pound bags of product.

Here's a link for a short list on shelf life of Long term storage of food.

http://providentliving.org/content/d...4224-1,00.html

Wheat 30+
White rice 30+
Corn 30+
Sugar 30+
Pinto beans 30
Rolled oats 30
Pasta 30
Potato flakes 30
Apple slices 30
Non-fat powdered milk 20
Dehydrated carrots 20

Most of this is from the research done at BYU and the LDS.

http://providentliving.org/content/d...4063-1,00.html
http://providentliving.org/pfw/multi...ionsv3_pdf.pdf
According to this link;
"Each pouch holds 1 gallon (4 liters) of product. The weight varies by product. A pouch holds 7 pounds (3.2 kg) of
wheat, 6.8 pounds (3.1 kg) of white rice, or 5 pounds (2.3 kg) of dry milk."

http://ndfs.byu.edu/Research/LongTer...odStorage.aspx
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Survivalist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemoreday View Post
I read the title to this thread and it reminded me of the old drug stores that would have a jar of jelly beans on the counter and you could guess how many were in there. The closest one won a prize.

Anybody else remember those?

I was going to guess 4,327,782 beans in a bucket.

It made me think the same thing when I was looking at all those buckets wondering how many bags of food I need to buy to fill them
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisanna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Hiker

I'm averaging about the same as above, with pinto beans or rice 40lbs in a 6 gal bucket, 30lbs. of either in a 5 gallon bucket.

The LDS wheat comes in a 25lb bag so I use 3 bags and split them between 2 of my 6 gallon buckets.
The Following User Says Thank You to momof4survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Prepared

I've been averaging about 7-8 lbs per gallon of bucket, depending of the size of the grain or bean.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Prepared

When it comes to beans...you can only put two hundred thirty nine beans in a bucket. If you add one more they would be two farty. Sorry, couldn't resist.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SmokeyC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 25,542 Times in 7,690 Posts

I get about 33# of beans and rice and wheat in mine. Odd that they come out the same.

Turns out, btw, that all 5-gallon buckets aren't the same. The ones I've bought from U-Line are slightly taller and a bit more around than the cheaper kind you can get from Wal-Mart or a home-supply store (at least around here).

I lose about 3 pounds w/ the smaller buckets, to about 30#.
The Following User Says Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Pull up your Dora panties

Thanked 16,516 Times in 4,458 Posts

and i thought my OCD was showing when i asked how many .22 rounds would fit into a .30 cal ammo can. i'm feeling much better now
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VINCENT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Cranky Old Guy

Is there a good reason to store in buckets? I have plastic storage crates that I have been keeping my mylar sealed food in. Maybe I should be storing in buckets???

Thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Is there a good reason to store in buckets. I have plastic storage crates that I have been keeping my mylar sealed food in. Maybe I should be storing in buckets???

Thanks
Since it's mostly to keep rodents and such out it depends on a few things.

Many buckets have rubber gaskets so they tend to seal better then many totes.

The Mylar bags are designed more for the buckets then anything else.

And I read somewhere that you need airflow around all these things (I forget the reason given,but it seemed to make sense when I read it). Round bucket allow that better then tightly packed rectangular objects.

Lastly, they're relatively cheap and available everywhere.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 57,776 Times in 17,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephpd View Post
Since it's mostly to keep rodents and such out it depends on a few things.

Many buckets have rubber gaskets so they tend to seal better then many totes.

The Mylar bags are designed more for the buckets then anything else.

And I read somewhere that you need airflow around all these things (I forget the reason given,but it seemed to make sense when I read it). Round bucket allow that better then tightly packed rectangular objects.

Lastly, they're relatively cheap and available everywhere.
100% agree, I feel good about using 2# "Food Quality" buckets. I'm sure you might be able to get by with less but for a price range from free to $2 why not do it right.

I really like that feeling when I pound that gasket lid on that I know it's good for decades!

Done
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Survivor

Part of it may just be a holdover from when food grade buckets were all there were.

The use of Mylar bags and O2 absorber are relatively new but add significantly to the length of time in storage without oxidation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,858 Times in 32,497 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephpd View Post
Part of it may just be a holdover from when food grade buckets were all there were.

The use of Mylar bags and O2 absorber are relatively new but add significantly to the length of time in storage without oxidation.
I think that's probably a lot of it. Back when I first started putting food away, it was just the food, the bucket and the O2 absorbers. No mylar. I had no problems that way, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it since mylar is affordable and easy to find.

When using a mylar bag, the bucket is only for protection anyway. So I can't see why some other storage container wouldn't work just as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Rest In Peace My Brothers

Thanked 27,289 Times in 14,298 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

I get 25 pound in a 5 gallon bucken and that leaves some room for a little salt, other spices and items to make the bucket more versatile.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Not what I appear to be

Thanked 3,773 Times in 1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanna View Post
I've gotten quite a few 1 gal and a couple 5 gal buckets and I'd like to start filling them but I want to avoid any waste as far as O2 absorbers go when I open the package.
I take this as a question of how many O2 absorbers to use ?

If that is the case, I use 4 - 500cc O2 absorbers per 5 gallon bucket inside the Mylar bags.
That being said, you may want to do what I do when I open the package of O2 absorbers.

I buy the 100 packs from USA Emergency Supply https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/i..._absorbers.htm and I don't believe you would be able to dump the grain or whatever throw in the O2 absorbers and seal the Mylar bag quick enough for the tail end of the O2 absorbers to be effective.

So here is what I do, I have a Foodsaver sealer, and I have made approximately 25 small bags from the roll of foodsaver material. I open the pack of O2 absorbers, then seal them 4 each in the foodaver bags so they stay unexposed to the air to keep them inactive.

This way all I have to do when packing the grain into the Mylar and buckets is set my Mylar bag in the bucket, place two 500cc O2 absorbers in the bottom of the bag, pour in the grain, place two more O2 absorbers on top, press out as much air as I can, and then seal the Mylar bag. Boooyaaa

I don't have to rush the whole process worrying about how long the rest of the O2 absorbers have been exposed to the air.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,048 Posts

I've been getting my buckets from the bakery at Sam's. (FREE)
I just bought 5- 10 lb. bags of pinto beans, that's 50 lbs. total, and it all fit into one 5 gallon cake icing bucket with about 2" of airspace left over.
The product labels do not mention volume like gallons, it's all labeled in weight like pounds.
I think they may be a little bigger around that your standard 5 gallon paint bucket.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 6,174 Times in 2,426 Posts

I have 3 three buckets of rice n beans, approx 60lbs total...i just layered the bags of rice n beans, kept in their original packaging......in addition, i use em for storing misc canned items...i do know that you can fit 77 cans of tuna in a 5 gal lowes bucket ...jus sayin...
Attached Thumbnails
P1060346.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post: