Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 AM
I love this forum

Default How long does filtered water from the fridge keep?

Advertise Here

I've been filling up "Simply Orange" juice bottles with filtered water from the fridge for a couple of months to store in my 600 x 600 standing-room crawl space. I'll stand there and fill em up while I'm making a cake or waffles, whatever, maybe listening to music while I do it. It takes a long time because the filtered water from the fridge is slow-going.

I've got about 50 bottles stowed up down there.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,608 Times in 3,321 Posts

Water, technically, doesn't have a shelf life. 10,000 years from now it will still be water. That doesn't mean it's safe to drink, because it can pick up contaminates. Sealed in a sterile bottle it should be able to stay sterile. But know that just a minute amount of bacteria can grow in it and become unhealthy, as long as it's above freezing.

A little Chlorine goes a long way to prevent bacterial growth.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Target Shooter

Is this a fridge with an internal or external water dispenser? Sure would be a waste of electricity if ya have to keep the doors open to do so =)

Even with an external dispenser, I'd imagine the filters might be a little on the pricey side per gallon? Just a thought.

As for how long it stores, stephph pretty well hit it. Worst case, the water somehow 'goes bad' and has to be treated before drinking. It may taste like plastic (or who knows what else) but it'll still be better than dehydration/death.
The Following User Says Thank You to thoreau For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,710 Times in 6,123 Posts

What you have to worry about the most is bacteria/algae growth. Because it is OJ bottles, you are going to have sugar residue and bacteria residue on the threads of the cap and bottle. Even if you wash it out, it may still grow after a year or so. Especially in the summer when the roof heats up in the sun.

So don't be supprised if you find a thin layer of black "floaties" in the water and under the cap. The water is still "good". Just strain it and boil it. But that is something to watch out for. Rotate the water every year or so to check for that algae/bacteria in the bottle. If the bottle looks good though, you can leave it alone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM
drive a stake thru Islam

Thanked 1,204 Times in 468 Posts

you might be better to store unfiltered water, leaving the Clorine in it and filter it thru a Brita pitcher or similar device before you use it IMHO.
The Following User Says Thank You to scrappy1343 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 PM

...in my 600 x 600 standing-room crawl space

Wow, do you have an aircraft carrier or something?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ron b For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2011, 06:53 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron b View Post
...in my 600 x 600 standing-room crawl space

Wow, do you have an aircraft carrier or something?
I DO. No,.I have a 20 X 30 crawl space. I guess that I'll continue bottling these OJ bottles. How long will 1000 2 litter bottles last? I'm working on buying an early 1900s home for sale with well-water on the property. The problem is that there are signs about on adjacent properties that say, "Well Water," so everyone will know where your well water is or the probability that well water will be on your property given that all the other properties around you have well water, which makes you vulnerable to being taken out in a SHTFEOTWAWKI scenario. I'm thinking that if I ever did buy that property, I'd have to erect a 20 ft electric fence and buy all the artillery most of you on here are purchasing left and right. I don't own a gun, just a Martin Hatfield take-down bow and arrows. Guns are too expense..to get good with and to maintain, buy bullets for.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 PM
High-Strung

The water filter on my frig needs to be changed, but I don't know if I am going to or not. The filter is very expensive and I really can't tell much of a difference between the filtered water and the tap.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:47 PM

1 gallon per person per day for drinking and cooking, add more for bathing add more for hot climates.

If you are going to continue using OJ bottles(not recommended) do your best to sterilize them, run in a dishwasher or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to mica For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 97,106 Times in 31,864 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustADude View Post
Guns are too expense..to get good with and to maintain, buy bullets for.
They don't have to be expensive. There are a lot of affordable options out there. And you can get really good training at the Appleseed Events without much expense either.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 03:18 AM

Good thread. Got me thinking, what about those huge water jugs that you can buy from the store? What are they? 5 gallons? They appear sealed until you need them..how about buy one and just let it sit until you need it?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to opticalserenity For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 AM
Survivor

It really depends on the plastic the bottles are made from. Things like milk containers and OJ containers are biodegradable and will start leaking after a while. They are made for short term storage only.

There are a few threads here in the last year where people tried using these items only to find them leaking after as little as 2 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 03:59 PM

Thanks, I think two years is more than sufficient IMO. For storage, they could be rotated out every 18 months or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to opticalserenity For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 04:08 PM
I look good in tin foil

I (from the ideas of others here) have been using my 2 liter bottles. I prefer diet soda so not alot of sugar residue.. I use a little soapy water for sloshing.. heavy rinse and fill 'em up. They are really adding up!!
The Following User Says Thank You to luckypink11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Proverbs 26:4

Thanked 2,163 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
They don't have to be expensive. There are a lot of affordable options out there. And you can get really good training at the Appleseed Events without much expense either.
What Mike said - plus you can get a bb or pellet gun and practice all day in your back yard. Even a semi-auto .22lr is better than nothing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypink11 View Post
I (from the ideas of others here) have been using my 2 liter bottles. I prefer diet soda so not alot of sugar residue.. I use a little soapy water for sloshing.. heavy rinse and fill 'em up. They are really adding up!!
Soda bottles are a different plastic (PETE) they actually last longer and aren't designed to biodegrade like milk containers.

BYU even did some research on using them with O2 absorbers for short term storage of foods;
http://ndfs.byu.edu/Portals/9/docs/r...per.091910.pdf

Summary;
"Low moisture foods, such as wheat, can be stored in re-used sealed PETE bottles containing oxygen absorber packets for at least a year without any appreciable increase in oxygen."
The Following User Says Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,608 Times in 798 Posts

JustADude, I would suggest you cover it up or at least camouflage the well. If the water is good, that a lot to pass up. Anyone asks, just tell them the well was contaminated so you had to get rid of it and couldn't afford a new one. In small towns, news gets around in less than 24 hours. If there are no waterlines in the area just carry around water containers in your vehicle. (: Sorry no funny faces that I can add.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldparanoia For This Useful Post: