Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 PM

Default Big Berkey water filter?

Advertise Here

Wanted to get people's thoughts on the Big Berkey water filter. I already own a Katadyn but was looking to get an additional water filtration system. What are some of your thoughts on a Big Berkey?
The Following User Says Thank You to shamgar57 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Preparing for tomorrow

Berkey Water Filters are great. You might want to be in touch with The Berkey Guy to get the best system for you. I was thinking about the Big Berkey, he suggested the Royal Berkey and has good prices.

The Berkey Guy - [email protected]
http://www.directive21.com/contact.html
The Following User Says Thank You to neosurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 04:09 AM
"Dragons?!" he says...

Been using them for years.
Back when I had town water I used the add on PF-4's to remove floride and stuff.
I'm on a well now, but still use it because of odd flavors and smells.
Highly reccommended and worthwhile.
The Following User Says Thank You to pur1138 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 04:20 AM
Ding... Thanks for playin

Thanked 7,364 Times in 2,070 Posts

I have the Royal model, love it... also with this unit I have the katadyn Pocket and 2 SteirPENS... So I pretty much got everything covered...
Old 01-05-2011, 06:41 AM

I have a Big Berkey, it is a great water filter. It's our primary filter to be used for bugging in and it will be in the car if we have to evacuate. We keep Katadyns in the BoBs
The Following User Says Thank You to Prepared N.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,630 Times in 6,688 Posts

I like the berkey water filter system, its simple, and the only moving parts to break are the spigot.

During my test, a berkey with 2 carbon filters did not produce enough water for a group of people. In one test I went to the camp and used a royal berkey to filter creek water. With 2 filters it only produced enough water for 2 or 3 people. If your planning on filtering water for a group of people, I highly recommend getting 2 spare flters for a total of 4.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,504 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamgar57 View Post
Wanted to get people's thoughts on the Big Berkey water filter. I already own a Katadyn but was looking to get an additional water filtration system. What are some of your thoughts on a Big Berkey?
We have two of them. We have one that gets used everyday instead of buying bottled water. We fill up our own Blackhawk and stainless steel bottles, and a container in the fridge for cold water. We also have another one that stays in our evac gear, in case we have to leave quickly.

I have previous experience of visiting a foreign country where the water conditions are terrible and would just about kill any foreigners that drank it. The Americans working there dumped the brownish water in the Berkey everyday, and it was like drinking bottled water. It was their most valuable asset. At least in my experience, there is none better for a household water filter. For a portable system, we have two Katadyns we keep in our Bug Out/ Get Home bags.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Pow Pow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,207 Times in 727 Posts

The Berkey with 2 elements need about 4-5 hours to filter 1.5-2g of water. So fill it up when you go to bed, in the morning put the good water in another container and fill it up again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bulrush For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,108 Times in 2,051 Posts

We're about to invest in either a Royal or Crown with four filters. Plus I see where the new black filters are good to have as backup to the ceramics, or visa versa?

So I am assuming with the Crown or Royal there will be four filter chambers ... could I use charcoal in the top chamber, then black, then ceramic/ceramic, or along those lines?

Our issue is sand sediment. We live well below the fall line on what used to be the South Carolina coast. The water is pure, sand is a great filter in itself, but the sediment is very very fine and may have led to a kidney stone issue I had earlier this year according to my urologist ... so he wants me to drink nothing but filtered water from now on and the pitcher filters are not getting it.

I drink a ton of water every day plus the Mrs. uses a lot of it for mixing drinks for the kids and herself - so we need high volume.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gallo Pazzesco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Recent Blog:
[CaRP] Unknown document format.
Reading and Posting

Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo Pazzesco View Post
We're about to invest in either a Royal or Crown with four filters. Plus I see where the new black filters are good to have as backup to the ceramics, or visa versa?

So I am assuming with the Crown or Royal there will be four filter chambers ... could I use charcoal in the top chamber, then black, then ceramic/ceramic, or along those lines?

Our issue is sand sediment. We live well below the fall line on what used to be the South Carolina coast. The water is pure, sand is a great filter in itself, but the sediment is very very fine and may have led to a kidney stone issue I had earlier this year according to my urologist ... so he wants me to drink nothing but filtered water from now on and the pitcher filters are not getting it.

I drink a ton of water every day plus the Mrs. uses a lot of it for mixing drinks for the kids and herself - so we need high volume.
The black berkey elements are superior to the White ceramic, but the wc are still good filters.

We recommend using the black berkey elements.

theberkeyguy
Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 AM

I'm thinking of purchasing a Berkey within the next 2 weeks and was wondering if everyone is still happy with their Berkey? I ask because I've seen some negative reviews about the filters leaking, coming apart. Would like to do my homework a bit before taking the $300+ plunge.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:04 AM
May *** help us all.

Question: I own a Berkey and so far, I'm in love with it. However, anyone know how many microns Berkeys will filter down to? For some reason, Berkey doesn't talk about their levels of filtration at ALL, which is bizarre to me.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 AM
We are at DEFCON 1

Thanked 8,231 Times in 3,538 Posts

Until they fix there quality problems, stay away

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...erkey+problems

The Following User Says Thank You to felicia For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 10:24 AM

Any alternative water filter suggestons other than the Berkey?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 AM
We are at DEFCON 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Any alternative water filter suggestons other than the Berkey?

This is what I purchased.
http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/inde...e=WaterFilters
Old 05-31-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicia View Post

Felicia,

I just recently purchased the exact same thing from the same vendor. Very nice guy, competitive pricing, and fast shipping. I use the black aqua cera candles.

I, too, was all in with Berkey (due to so many recommendations) until the black filters started coming apart for a huge pool of people on these forums alone. If/When SHTF, the last thing I need going down is one of my water filtration methods.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:12 PM
We are at DEFCON 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrran View Post
Felicia,

I just recently purchased the exact same thing from the same vendor. Very nice guy, competitive pricing, and fast shipping. I use the black aqua cera candles.

I, too, was all in with Berkey (due to so many recommendations) until the black filters started coming apart for a huge pool of people on these forums alone. If/When SHTF, the last thing I need going down is one of my water filtration methods.
Tyrran,

Yes he is a good company to buy from. I could not believe how fast my order arrived. I purchased my system with 10 white filters. Love it and works great.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,274 Times in 884 Posts

Just buy a couple of the white replacement filters and poke a hole in a bucket to make your own containers. There is no point in spending hundreds of dollars on the shiny steel pots they sell.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Evolutionist

Like other's here, I am considering buying a Berkey, but here's what concerns me a lot:

Felicia brings up the apparent very serious quality control issues with the filter element, and I thank her for re-posting those threads.

Then, Theberkeyguy actually posts in this same thread,

BUT.... he does not counter or in any way respond to tell us if the quality issue is resolved!

My own interpretation of that is the problems are not fixed. Otherwise berkeyguy would claim as much, right?

I'm going to look for a different filter, and am dissapointed.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:59 PM
We are at DEFCON 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
Like other's here, I am considering buying a Berkey, but here's what concerns me a lot:

Felicia brings up the apparent very serious quality control issues with the filter element, and I thank her for re-posting those threads.

Then, Theberkeyguy actually posts in this same thread,

BUT.... he does not counter or in any way respond to tell us if the quality issue is resolved!

My own interpretation of that is the problems are not fixed. Otherwise berkeyguy would claim as much, right?

I'm going to look for a different filter, and am dissapointed.
Your are welcome.

Water is the most important prep any one of can have and we all need to make sure that the water we drink is safe.