Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Default AR-15 Problems

Advertise Here

Recently I made my first purchase of an AR-15 from a gun show nearby. The maker of the rifle is "Moores Machine Company" and I got what I thought was a "good deal" on it. I took it in the back woods today to shoot and started off with nothing but problems.

Forgive me because I'm not too familiar with the terminology, but when I went to load the first round, the bolt did not go all the way forward and when I pulled the trigger, all I heard was the "click" and no round being fired off. So when I went to pull the bolt back, the first round was still chambered and wouldnt come out, meanwhile the second round started to feed in.

After a few tries, I finally got a few rounds off, then the whole process started over again. I'm not sure if there is an easy fix to the problem by buying another part, or if I should just sell the gun all together, that is my question to those of you here with more experience.

My options are to:

1- Sell the gun for a loss.

2- Keep the gun and try to find a fix to it (if any of you would know how).

3- Hold onto the gun and sell it off in the future if gun prices go up at all.

4- Any other suggestions??

Thanks in advance for the help. At least I learned a good lesson of "You get what you pay for" and won't make this mistake again.

I bought the gun for $850 total, and it came with a scope and a holographic sight which I saw selling elsewhere for $130 and $50. So in the end I paid a little under $700 for the gun.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Bad Guy

Make sure the chamber and barrel are clean and make sure it's not an ammunition problem. If something is keeping the cartridge from fully seating in the chamber, the bolt won't go into battery...hence the click and cartridge sticking in the chamber. Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Almost home

Try some different magazines and ammunition.

Make sure you release the charging handling smartly.

Don't pull the trigger if that bolt is not all the way home - it is called "kaboom" out of battery discharge - very bad.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,983 Times in 3,331 Posts

Did you pull the charging handle FULLY back before releasing it?
Are you loading your mags from a stripper clip?
Any cosmoline present?
Are you resting your rifle on the magazine while shooting?
Was the mag fully inserted?
What kind of magazine is it?
Are you using old Wolf ammo?

Check the front lip of your magazine for nicks/barbs.
Clean, inspect, and lubricate per military instructions (see download section)
If that does not help, have the headspacing checked
Old 01-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Opinionated old fart.

90% of AR problems are from bad mags, too dirty, or lack of lubrication. This gun sounds dry.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 PM

The ammunition that I am using is American Eagle Tactical XM193. 5.56

I used two types of magazines and both had the same problem and I hand loaded both of them.

One of my friends' who has a better knowledge of AR's than I do is coming over later this week to check it out, so hopefully he can see something that I might overlook.

I think it is a problem with the gun itself, when searching on google for solutions, I came across another person with the same gun and the same problem at the following website.

http://www.carolinashootersforum.com...ad.php?t=90422
Old 01-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Did you clean and lubricate correctly?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry

Thanked 1,870 Times in 858 Posts

How much lube did you use?
Temerature?
Don't be afraid to let the bolt fly home to chamber a round.
If the bolt wasn't grabbing the case to extract the round you might need one these if that is the issue here.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-E...%20upgrade.htm
Old 01-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Don't eat bowls of stupid

Thanked 4,719 Times in 2,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCEagle04 View Post
Recently I made my first purchase of an AR-15 from a gun show nearby. The maker of the rifle is "Moores Machine Company" and I got what I thought was a "good deal" on it. I took it in the back woods today to shoot and started off with nothing but problems.

Forgive me because I'm not too familiar with the terminology, but when I went to load the first round, the bolt did not go all the way forward and when I pulled the trigger, all I heard was the "click" and no round being fired off. So when I went to pull the bolt back, the first round was still chambered and wouldnt come out, meanwhile the second round started to feed in.

After a few tries, I finally got a few rounds off, then the whole process started over again. I'm not sure if there is an easy fix to the problem by buying another part, or if I should just sell the gun all together, that is my question to those of you here with more experience.

My options are to:

1- Sell the gun for a loss.

2- Keep the gun and try to find a fix to it (if any of you would know how).

3- Hold onto the gun and sell it off in the future if gun prices go up at all.

4- Any other suggestions??

Thanks in advance for the help. At least I learned a good lesson of "You get what you pay for" and won't make this mistake again.

I bought the gun for $850 total, and it came with a scope and a holographic sight which I saw selling elsewhere for $130 and $50. So in the end I paid a little under $700 for the gun.

www.sogarmory.com I'm sorry brother but I think you got ripped off. You can transfer the tacticool items to your new one by a reputable vendor.
The Following User Says Thank You to American ME! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 PM
www.redrockmercantile.com

I agree with all the posts, as a Colt armorer, I would say look at the mags and ammo first and make sure the chamber is clean as previously stated, try some friends mags before you go an invest more money in the weapon. Make sure you aren't babying the weapon when are loading it also. Put the mag in like you mean it, let the charging handle go home on its own(don't ride it)
Can you insert a single round in the chamber by itself?
They aren't reloads are they?
Who makes the upper? Is it a matched set?
Good luck, Black rifles rule
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Rock Mercantile For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Opinionated old fart.

I'll give ya $350 for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Getting There !!!!

Thanked 1,237 Times in 690 Posts

Try Dif. Ammo. All Have Tolerances... Maybe your rifle is on the higher end and the ammo is on the lower end.. Good luck..
III

Thanked 1,424 Times in 517 Posts

Bolt is sticking in the bolt carrier. Probably no lube on the rings and lugs. Last thing I do before putting the carrier back in is a few drops of LSA in the gas port on the carrier.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Space Cadet

Many of the suggestions above are good.

Definitely clean the chamber well. If no help it could be a tight, out of spec chamber that doesn't like 5.56. You could try .223 instead.

Take a look at your spent brass, any bulging or suspicious signs?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,387 Times in 714 Posts

Well as you can see from the responses, there are lots of things that this could be attributed to. Your best option - find someone that owns an AR or 3 and ask them to spend some time with you showing you the ins and outs. It's hard to make a crappy AR in spite of what some folks say!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zombie Hunt Club For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 PM

I'd say lube the rings in the bolt up, and pull the charging handle back all the way and let slam home on an empty chamber about 50 times. Then try chambering a round. Make sure the bolt locks into battery an THEN try to fire it off. If that doesn't do it, you need new mags or there is something SRSLY RONG with your gun.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:21 PM

Thanks everybody for the replies. When my friend who has a few AR's can take a look at it closer along with the advice given, i'll report back to you on how it performs then. Jeffrey- $350-450 is probably a good estimate for what I could get if I sell it out in this shape if i'm honest about how it performs,.For that price, maybe it would be better if I held onto it knowing that its NOT what I would trust my life with in case I need a weapon to defend myself with.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Pirate

I agree with a few others, this sounds like you need to break your bolt down and lube it up.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Take it to Hyatt's and have Gunny look at it....After you lube it. Better yet, send me a pm if you want. Im outside Charlotte myself.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:09 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,183 Times in 682 Posts

Sounded like the range rifle at my unit.

Before you go and sell it take it to a competent gunsmith, or contact the company directly if it still exists.

People cry about Century Arms WASR's all the time, but neglect to contact the distributor have them touch, instead they pass the issue on. 9 time out of 10 gun companies will fix the issue for little or nothing to keep you happy.

Also if you get a chance and your friend has a near identical (stock length) weapon strip it down and compare bolt dimensions etc. If hes got a operating one you might see a issue right off.