Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-03-2011, 02:33 PM
KY Fried Hiker

Question DIY knife sheath?

Advertise Here

I have an old Camillus 1957 survival knife that I want to start using for my backpacking trips. It is a tough knife, but the sheath is destroied. The knife is 9 inches long, and the blade is 5 inches of that.

The sheath has a pocket for the sharpening stone, and I would like to keep that with the knife.

I have looked all over for a replacement leather sheath, with no luck, and I contacted Camillus, but they have yet to respond.

Is there any way to easily make a replacement sheath out of paracord or leather? Maybe other materials I am not thinking of?
Old 01-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,488 Posts

Few years ago, I did an article on making seatbelt webbing sheaths. I doubt I still have it, in fact, come to think of it, I looked about a year back and couldn't find it. Well, the premise is that you either use real seatbelts or get a cheapo roll off of ebay, but you fold it back and forth (double it) and then stitch the edges to make a sheath. For example, a belt sheath for a mutiplier/multitool/lockback knife etc would be approx 28-30" long, folded to make it four layers thick at the bottom and two thick on the flap. That gives a sheath that's three layers thick, a built in belt loop, and a foldover flap that you can add a snap or a thong to. If you wanted to go light for your kabar, just fold it for two layers at the bottom and add a belt loop at the top. A liner made out of folded 2 liter drink bottle or kydex etc keeps the edge from cutting through. Take your time and plan before you cut and they really come out professional. They last forever.

rich
The Following User Says Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Nutcase

I made one about that size from an old notebook PC bag and a stiff plastic liner (old, tough mouse mat) for rigidity and to prevent the nylon being cut by the blade. You might be able to get one for practically nothing from a thrift shop or even a dump - I've seen lots just thrown away. Old Suitcases or sports bags are another source.

The only things I used that weren't salvaged from the bag were: some epoxy-type glue, a press stud fastener, a large sewing needle and strong nylon thread.

The notebook bag had a pocket on it so I carefully unpicked the stitching of the whole panel it was on. That panel was then shaped around the liner and stitched and glued along with the webbing from the strap. The webbing made a belt loop, leg-tie loop and, stitched on separately, the retention snap.

If you want to try and shape kydex (or stiff plastic like pvc pipes or similar) heat gently with a hot air gun, or put in an electric oven on a medium heat for a few minutes. Watch your hands! While it's warm and pliable you can bend or mould it to shape.

Last edited by foxyrick; 01-03-2011 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Added stuff about shaping plastic
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxyrick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Biologist

Thanked 1,018 Times in 529 Posts

The Following User Says Thank You to sluggyslugworth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 AM
KY Fried Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyrick View Post
I made one about that size from an old notebook PC bag and a stiff plastic liner (old, tough mouse mat) for rigidity and to prevent the nylon being cut by the blade. You might be able to get one for practically nothing from a thrift shop or even a dump - I've seen lots just thrown away. Old Suitcases or sports bags are another source.

The only things I used that weren't salvaged from the bag were: some epoxy-type glue, a press stud fastener, a large sewing needle and strong nylon thread.

The notebook bag had a pocket on it so I carefully unpicked the stitching of the whole panel it was on. That panel was then shaped around the liner and stitched and glued along with the webbing from the strap. The webbing made a belt loop, leg-tie loop and, stitched on separately, the retention snap.

If you want to try and shape kydex (or stiff plastic like pvc pipes or similar) heat gently with a hot air gun, or put in an electric oven on a medium heat for a few minutes. Watch your hands! While it's warm and pliable you can bend or mould it to shape.
That looks EXACTLY like what I need for my knife. I really like the pocket that could hold a sharpener, fire starter and multi-tool.

My biggest problem is finding those snap buttons, the tool to put them on, and sadly the sewing. I have never sewed anything other than a button on anything.

I have several of those pocket-type cellphone holders that are just like the one on the front of your sheath.

I just don't know how to sew, or where to get small items like the snap buttons.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Nutcase

Yeah - the pocket's quite handy:

(The vaseline tin's full of petroleum jelly coated cotton wool for tinder)

I had not sewn anything before either; good glue can help with that, and make it water tight at the same time. An alternative to the snap fastener is to unpick some velcro and stitch that on for a fastener.

Last edited by foxyrick; 01-04-2011 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: It occured to me in the middle of the night that I had spelled 'sewn' incorrectly!
The Following User Says Thank You to foxyrick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 AM

Default good job

Well it looks like everything turned out well for ya. Glad i could help with some of the material.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bethebush For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 6,975 Times in 2,406 Posts

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Hunter

and i thought i was going to start hearing some squealing , dueling banjos !!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Just Country Folk

That PVC sheath Video showed me just what I need to do for some of my knives and stuff. F.G.
The Following User Says Thank You to FarmGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Fish Slayer

Camillus is out of business. You may want to look at Tandy Leather. They make a 5in. sheath kit that should work for the pilot's knife.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 AM
KY Fried Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethebush View Post
Well it looks like everything turned out well for ya. Glad i could help with some of the material.
Yeah, that webbing did the trick. It isn't pretty, but it works very well.