Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Fearless, until scared.

Question DIY long term storage for pasta

Advertise Here

I'm preparing and continuing to add to my long term food storage. I absolutely crazy bat-**** love Barilla Plus pasta and thought it would be an excellent addition to my food collection. So what, right? Well, it's fortified with extra nutrients so it's better than just 'regular' dried pasta.

My questions is this: If put this product into a 5gal container with desiccant and O2 absorbers, is this a product that will last a long time? Now, I'm not talking about the 30 years that some products can go, but I was thinking closer to at least 10.

Here's the Barilla link.

The ingredients are as follows:
Quote:
Semolina, grain and legume flour blend, [grains and legumes (lentils, chickpeas, flaxseed, spelt, barley, oats), egg whites, oat fiber], durum flour, niacin, iron (ferrous sulfate), thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid.
I don't see anything obvious that won't store long term, but I always like to get the group's thought. Thoughts?

I appreciate your help, thanks!

SkydiverMN

Last edited by OLDWarrior64; 01-03-2011 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: Word filter bypass.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,235 Times in 1,573 Posts

I put my pasta in either a mylar bag or food saver bag for long term storage (NOT in the box as the boxes attract or have bugs most often). If they are in a mylar bag or glass jar (occasional) I use an o2 absorber. I was told it would last 10 years or more that way.
Sometimes, the pasta will poke thru the food saver bag, so I'm favoring mylar more now. It's a dried product, so keep it free of air, moisture and insects and you should be good to go. I think I have 150 pounds of it!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Gun Luvin Hippie

It depends on what the 5 gal. container is made of. If it's made of plastic like a 5 gal bucket then it won't prevent oxygen from entering and causing oxidation. If the container is metal or glass and air tight then your system is good to go. The goal is to prevent oxygen and moisture from contacting the food. Plastic will block moisture but oxygen will slowly travel through the organic molecules; ever wonder why food wrappers have that shiny metal coating on the inside of the plastic wrap? You'll still get several years from a tightly sealed plastic bucket so it's not all for not. But if you're willing to drop an extra $3 for a mylar bag that will fit in your plastic bucket then your pasta will last 15 years plus with the O2 absorbers.

Check out the below videos. They're a slam dunk on this subject.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemp For This Useful Post: