Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 06-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Combat Medic

Default NEF Survivor in .410/45 Colt

Advertise Here

Anyone own one of these made by new england firearms. Look like a nice little firearm. Appreciate the feedback as I am thinking of picking one up.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Deo VIndice

Thanked 4,056 Times in 2,353 Posts

man i LOVE those...next to the snake charmer, that is. I always wanted one, but something always got in my way....
Old 06-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Recent Blog:
Trapper

i like that model i own handi rifles in 30-30, 308, and i want the survivior model in 223
Old 06-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Free Trapper

Heard they are great! MidwayUSA offers a replacement buttstock and forearm; both with additional storage capacity than the factory standard. Go ahead and let us know how they are. God Bless! Jerry
Old 06-02-2008, 09:38 PM

Taurus Judge, .45 long colt and/or 410 shotgun. good option for pistol...
Old 06-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Deo VIndice

Thanked 4,056 Times in 2,353 Posts

I'd love to find a used handi-rifle in 30-30!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,104 Times in 2,051 Posts

I've got one with the survivor hollow stock ... 410/45.

I paired it with a Judge to comply with my rule, a pistol/long gun combo for everything.

What I don't like about it is the dang choke. You gotta have it in shooting birdshot out of the 410 ... but you better darn sure remember to take it out before shooting 45 colt.

Also, it is a little bulky, heavy, for what it is. The stock is hollow, it's a thumbhole design, but if you pack something too deep in that little skinny hole it is tough to get out.

What I like about it is that it is well built and shoots well for what it is. I've never done much with it. It is still in the plastic in the box in there where I put it back after shooting it and cleaning it a couple of times.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyone View Post
Taurus Judge, .45 long colt and/or 410 shotgun. good option for pistol...
Just read the ads or actually used one?
Lots of reasons why not as practical as one may think.
The weight and size make them a little akward and recoil is an issue.
I have a Lienad derringer 45LC/410 but the reasons I have it are not the same I would for Judge. Not to say that it might have some use but it is not the most practical revolver for survival use.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,104 Times in 2,051 Posts

Is this the one you are referring to? This is the one I was talking about in my post last night ...

Old 05-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Trapper

I own a Nef survivor in .308 and I love it. Tuff reliable and I've taken two deer and dispatched one feral dog since ownership. It is only one shot but that is pArt of the beauty, it forces you to become a better shot and use more self control. Yet when you do pull the trigger you can feel assured if you do your part the rifle will do its.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo Pazzesco View Post
I've got one with the survivor hollow stock ... 410/45.

I paired it with a Judge to comply with my rule, a pistol/long gun combo for everything.

What I don't like about it is the dang choke. You gotta have it in shooting birdshot out of the 410 ... but you better darn sure remember to take it out before shooting 45 colt.

Also, it is a little bulky, heavy, for what it is. The stock is hollow, it's a thumbhole design, but if you pack something too deep in that little skinny hole it is tough to get out.

What I like about it is that it is well built and shoots well for what it is. I've never done much with it. It is still in the plastic in the box in there where I put it back after shooting it and cleaning it a couple of times.
I can't imagine not buying one if I see it a gun show. I own a Judge (3" chamber) and it is certainly not a favorite for shooting, but it's an interesting gun. I've tried different grips on mine, but it didn't help. I have a T/C Contender pistol with the.45/.410 barrel. It's very pleasant. I suspect that it would also make a very pleasant companion to The Judge in a carbine configuration.

I tried some small shot in The Judge. Firing it at an empty light plastic bottle (Ocean Spray 1/2 gallon), the #8 shot only penetrated one side. I believe that the only appropriate ammo for this is Buck, primarily the 000.

Like most, my Judge had problems with ribbed shells. There is a solution. I had the chambers reamed and polished. No problems now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Horn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Free Trapper

I bought one about a year ago myself and it has become a trusted arm in my lineup! I don't bother with the .45 Colt as .410 shells come in just about anything I need; bird shot, buckshot, and slug. Makes it easier and cheaper than stocking yet another caliber. No problems so far and this thing rides behind the seat of my truck with no protection of any kind year round. In fact, it even made the trip to Alaska this winter on the trapline. The butt allows storage of a simple survival/FA kit. I also slid one of the slip-on eleastic rifle cartridge holders over the stock; hold 9 rds of assorted .410 shells. God Bless, Jerry
The Following User Says Thank You to bluemountaingun For This Useful Post: