Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 PM
space samurai

Advertise Here

the ownership of the AR7 bounced around the firearms manufacturing world for quite awhile. i forget who now, but one company owned them for quite awhile and turned out some real trash. hence the unreliable reputation. the ones being produced today are much better.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,319 Times in 3,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkybriches View Post
the ownership of the AR7 bounced around the firearms manufacturing world for quite awhile. i forget who now, but one company owned them for quite awhile and turned out some real trash. hence the unreliable reputation. the ones being produced today are much better.
I believe it's Henry Rifles that is currently producing them.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:49 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,747 Times in 2,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALPHUNTER View Post
Wouldn't pay $400.00 for that, but if you want a lightweight "survival rifle" in 22 caliber, that you can break down why consider the Henry AR7. It weighs about 2.5lbs, holds 10 rounds in the mag, and costs around $225.00. Once the barrel and firing mechanism is disasembled, it fits into the stock and is only 16" long, and would fit easily into a pack. I've never owned one these, but a friend of mine has one and he really likes it.
Not to be sarcastic, but the AR-7 has been mentioned about a dozen times already in this thread, has a poor reputation for reliability, weighs 2.5 times what the Pack-Rifle weighs and is much larger to boot.

They each have their advantages and disadvantages. The idea of the Pack-Rifle is extreme lightweight (one pound) and small size.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 12:49 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

you ever notice that EVERY thread about a packable .22 turns into a discussion about how the AR7 sux/ doesnt suk?

why dont we get back to the OP
Old 01-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,319 Times in 3,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heretic View Post
Not to be sarcastic, but the AR-7 has been mentioned about a dozen times already in this thread, has a poor reputation for reliability, weighs 2.5 times what the Pack-Rifle weighs and is much larger to boot.

They each have their advantages and disadvantages. The idea of the Pack-Rifle is extreme lightweight (one pound) and small size.
Not a problem, like I said, I don't own one, but a friend does and he is very pleased with his. Evidently, more than one manufacturer has produced it over the years, and it has possibly been improved.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,319 Times in 2,681 Posts

Quote:
Interesting rifle I stumbled across today in a gun shop. I may buy one.

http://www.packrifle.com/

Very light (just shy of one pound), takes down to less than 18" in length. A little spendy ($400) but consider this; if you can find an M6 Scout for sale consider buying it, if you can find one for $400 grab it! Also, I am betting this little gun (which is 3.5 pounds lighter than an M6) is probably more accurate than the M6, looks to take up much less space. There seems to be a way to convert it to a fishing pole too.

The website sucks. It has very little info. But still, very interesting little rifle that might be ideal for back-country motorcycling.

it is a 'twist open' reload single shot.

vid:

http://www.youtube.com/v/PM6Q7m-HFj4

personelly i would rather have a long barreled pistol (6") to carry in a backpack

i like this one barretta neo U22

http://www.berettausa.com/products/u.../?keywords=u22
Old 01-26-2011, 12:57 PM
space samurai

thought since it was being discussed that maybe some light on why the ar7 did suck but doesnt anymore would be appreciated.

trix i noticed that though you want to discuss the OP, you didnt actually add anything. just saying.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:00 PM
To the surface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jida View Post
As posted earlier, the Ruger 22/45,...
I already have three .22 LR pistols, two of which are the S&W 422 and the Browning Buckmark. The Buckmark will soon get a TrailLite barrel and scope. I've already tried a scope on the 422 via a grip mount and that was unsatisfactory (no matter what I tried, the mount moved around) so it stays with iron sights - which is disappointing because the aluminum frame is very light.

That said, neither of these has a 16" barrel, which makes a difference in velocity, accuracy and how quiet the gun is, and putting a makeshift buttstock on a handgun won't make it quieter or increase the velocity. The longer sighting radius of the rifle will make a difference if you stick to iron sights.

The Pack-Rifle is very much a niche rifle. It is lighter and smaller than any other rifle, and lighter than most .22 LR pistol you would hunt with even with the lightweight barrels.

It is also expensive for what it is, single shot and slow to reload - but for something you just take along on a trip because it is so small and light, when you would not take anything else, when having a dozen .22 LR cartridges stuffed in the butt-stock might make a difference between eating and not eating when your food runs out, it has its appeal.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:08 PM
To the surface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptkeeper View Post
personelly i would rather have a long barreled pistol (6") to carry in a backpack

i like this one barretta neo U22

http://www.berettausa.com/products/u.../?keywords=u22
After I had some disappointment with the accuracy of my S&W 422 I did some research on .22 LR pistols. The two that stood out were the Ruger and the Browning Buckmark. I liked the design of the Browning better, some like the Ruger better.

I looked at both the Beretta Neos and the Walther P22 and neither one were all that good IMO. I heard the Neos had problems with both reliability and accuracy and the Walther P22 was even worse, which is disappointing as I like both companies. I also didn't care for the looks of the Neos.

I kind of like the look of the Walther, but I think it and the SIG Mosquito are meant to look and operate more like their military big brothers and less like an accurate hunting handgun.

Finally, the Ruger and Browning both had better third party support for things like lightweight barrels, action parts and tuning, threaded barrels and suppressors.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:12 PM
To the surface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALPHUNTER View Post
Not a problem, like I said, I don't own one, but a friend does and he is very pleased with his. Evidently, more than one manufacturer has produced it over the years, and it has possibly been improved.
Yup - which is why I said 'reputation' as a qualifier. The one I shot was decades ago and I didn't care for it or the design, and it would not pack small and light on my motorcycle - just too fat. I am not sure why they made the stock so fat. Space is very limited on a motorcycle or in a pack for that matter.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,319 Times in 2,681 Posts

Quote:
I already have three .22 LR pistols, two of which are the S&W 422 and the Browning Buckmark. The Buckmark will soon get a TrailLite barrel and scope. I've already tried a scope on the 422 via a grip mount and that was unsatisfactory (no matter what I tried, the mount moved around) so it stays with iron sights - which is disappointing because the aluminum frame is very light.

That said, neither of these has a 16" barrel, which makes a difference in velocity, accuracy and how quiet the gun is, and putting a makeshift buttstock on a handgun won't make it quieter or increase the velocity. The longer sighting radius of the rifle will make a difference if you stick to iron sights.

The Pack-Rifle is very much a niche rifle. It is lighter and smaller than any other rifle, and lighter than most .22 LR pistol you would hunt with even with the lightweight barrels.

It is also expensive for what it is, single shot and slow to reload - but for something you just take along on a trip because it is so small and light, when you would not take anything else, when having a dozen .22 LR cartridges stuffed in the butt-stock might make a difference between eating and not eating when your food runs out, it has its appeal.

i was concidering getting this to go with it 3.8lb

http://suburbansurvivalist.wordpress...s-carbine-kit/

but this one may not be to bad either 3.25lb it breaks down to 20.5" selling for around $250

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/marlin-papoose

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/571...oose_Auto.aspx
Old 01-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Zomby Woof

Thanked 18,852 Times in 6,320 Posts

Quote:

but this one may not be to bad either 3.25lb it breaks down to 20.5" selling for around $250

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/marlin-papoose

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/571...oose_Auto.aspx
I have fired that Baretta and it is a fine .22 pistol. I own a bull barrel Ruger 22/45. It is a very nice pistol, and a tack driver at 25 - 30 yards.

The Marlin is an awesome .22. My wife and I use it to cut weeds on the hillside next to our cabin. Like shooting pencils in half from 20 - 30 yards.

The Marlin has only one issue and that is that when my left hand presses against the mag, it can cause misfeeds.
The Following User Says Thank You to SkullyWV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 02:56 PM
+Adcock

Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,079 Posts

My pack solution is a 422 and it is very accurate. Shoot the 40gr CCIs and they are covering the bases that I need.

I have heard they are either it or miss or they needed some tweaks to get some of them to work right.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Hiker

ar7... my buddy and i were talking about then he ripped them up and down . i said lets go for a walk grabbed my pack with the ar7 inside.when we got out a ways i took it out and let him shoot it, turnes out he had never shot one went for a bike ride with him not to long after we stopped for lunch .. guess what he pulled out.. yup an ar7, most ppl like it once they try one, it fits a lot better than it looks..
Old 01-26-2011, 03:35 PM
+Adcock

Yeah but if your friend read that he didn't and couldn't possibly like it in this thread then he never would have bought one.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:46 PM
To the surface!

Quote:

Interesting. I can see some value to that for a Neos owner.

There is a Buckmark rifle too - just not a kit to convert back and forth (or at least not one now).

However, I am not a big fan of most conversion kits - they are often too expensive (sometimes as much as another gun), often almost as heavy as another gun, and slow to convert. I would just as soon have the other gun. One can never have too many guns.

But to each their own.

I do like takedown rifles. They store small until you get somewhere and put them back together, but IMO I want a rifle or a handgun or both, not something where I am going to be switching back and forth from one config to another.

In an ideal world, we (in the USA) could legally and easily (i.e., without a bunch of BATF paperwork/etc.) own a suppressed .22 LR semi-auto that we could add or remove a butt-stock to/from and be able to add/remove whatever barrel config we wanted. In a TEOTWAWKI situation maybe some enterprising soul with the tools and knowledge would make just such a beast. For now we have to work with what we have or are allowed to have or that we are willing to deal with.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:50 PM
To the surface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jida View Post
My pack solution is a 422 and it is very accurate. Shoot the 40gr CCIs and they are covering the bases that I need.

I have heard they are either it or miss or they needed some tweaks to get some of them to work right.
The barrel is fixed like most .22 LR pistols. Not sure what tweaks could be applied. My main disappointment was the scope mounting - there didn't seem to be any easy way to make it secure and immovable. If a scope moves even a little you are not going to have an accurate gun. I didn't care for the grip mount feel either, nor the fact that the scope made the gun top heavy as the scope weighed more than the gun itself.

Other than that, the handgun was/is nice, it just isn't a tack driver. I would carry it on my bike too, but for real accuracy I don't think it would compare to a rifle.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:17 PM
+Adcock

You can set the front barrel nut to the correct pound/ft and that can improve the accuracy. The barrel itself can also be in replaced/inspected. The crown can get pretty dinged up on them. Taking them apart is tricky but easy enough once you do it a couple of times. A full cleaning made a world's difference on mine, light oil.

Change the ammo, mine likes both standard velocity and mini mag CCIs.

Scopes can be added by tapping the front and adding either a weaver or picatiny rail. It is very short but you can add a very compact red dot or small scope. I would not do this as the irons are fine for what I need and tapping it is not desirable.

I have seen the side mounts for the scopes but never tried one.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie View Post
the AR7 and all its varients are the very definition of tits on a bull. useless.

the papoose isnt much better.
I can understand your opinion that maybe a 22LR rifle is a poor survival choice but I have a Papoose and I have been nothing but impressed with its performance. Not only is it plenty accurate but also very reliable with quality ammo. Really the only thing you loose with Papoose over say a 795 is a forward grip which really isn't all that important. Point is, I've found the Papoose to be as usefull as any other semi-auto 22 rifle.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...hlight=papoose

To the OP, that rifle looks to be extremely difficult to use and fire. If it is for survival, you want to be able to hit your target otherwise its a worthless accessory. I would suggest you look at an ultra compact single shot like the Henry Mini-Bolt, Cricket, or even better a new Marlin XT-22YSR. All of those are only 3-4 pounds, if you can't handle that then you probably don't need a rifle in the first place.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM
To the surface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
To the OP, that rifle looks to be extremely difficult to use and fire. If it is for survival, you want to be able to hit your target otherwise its a worthless accessory. I would suggest you look at an ultra compact single shot like the Henry Mini-Bolt, Cricket, or even better a new Marlin XT-22YSR. All of those are only 3-4 pounds, if you can't handle that then you probably don't need a rifle in the first place.
I do believe I can hit what I am aiming with it - I don't see why I couldn't. I will report on that when I go shooting. If not then I agree that it will be an expensive conversation piece and little more.

As I have said a number of times, it is not a matter of whether I can 'handle' a 3 pound or a 10 pound rifle - I can. It is a matter of what gets left at home and what gets taken with me because it adds very little *more* weight. It is the total that counts. If you are already at your limit of weight then 3 or 4 more pounds can very likely result in you deciding to leave that item home when you would rather bring it, but there are more important items you take instead. When you are already lugging along an AK, a defense pistol, ammo, food, water, stove, sleeping bag, shelter, first aid, and so on - you are probably already overloaded. Because I have back/neck/shoulder injuries, I *know* am overloaded. Whatever I can do to minimize that load is a good thing.

I.E., something you have with you is better than something you leave behind, no matter how good that thing you left behind is and how poor that something you have with you is. If you don't have it then it doesn't matter does it?

If weight didn't count then I would take this single shot along too:

I already have a compact single shot .22 LR that weighs 4.5 pounds and has the added advantage of also being a shotgun:

But it is not 'ultra-compact' nor does it weigh in at one pound - and neither do the rifles you mentioned.