Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,748 Times in 2,815 Posts
Default 'Pack-Rifle' (one pound 17" takedown .22LR rifle)

Advertise Here

Interesting rifle I stumbled across today in a gun shop. I may buy one.

http://www.packrifle.com/

Very light (just shy of one pound), takes down to less than 18" in length. A little spendy ($400) but consider this; if you can find an M6 Scout for sale consider buying it, if you can find one for $400 grab it! Also, I am betting this little gun (which is 3.5 pounds lighter than an M6) is probably more accurate than the M6, looks to take up much less space. There seems to be a way to convert it to a fishing pole too.

The website sucks. It has very little info. But still, very interesting little rifle that might be ideal for back-country motorcycling.

it is a 'twist open' reload single shot.

vid:

http://www.youtube.com/v/PM6Q7m-HFj4
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 05:10 AM
Always have an exit

Thanked 5,671 Times in 2,188 Posts

I have a Marlin Papoose. Looks interesting but would prefer more than a single shot for that kind of money, good luck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tobkis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 05:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,852 Posts

No way I'd pay $400 for that. Ever look into a Feather Industries AT-22?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 05:32 AM
CrackerJack Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz77 View Post
No way I'd pay $400 for that. Ever look into a Feather Industries AT-22?
I saw Bumbling Bear do a review of that on Youtube; it looks like a great little .22!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,039 Times in 857 Posts

That gun at $400 is an insult to the mental facilities of every shooter in the nation.

If it were not for the present surge of survival interest that POS would be selling for $19.95 out of the Sears catalog like it should.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dcliffhanger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,637 Times in 2,471 Posts

It looks to be aluminum with a trigger unit….wouldn't pay over 70 dollars for that.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,791 Times in 2,685 Posts

no way $400 for that
Old 12-28-2010, 11:50 AM
To the surface!

Interesting reaction.

Actually I think it is not bad. It is minimal and that is exactly the purpose - a minimal .22 LR rifle. Minimal weight, minimal size, minimal complexity.

You all look at it and see how minimal it is and say it is a POS without any supporting assertions, or say it is so minimal that it should go for a minimal price without considering how much it would cost *them* to make such a thing. I would think maybe a person could make something similar from a Ruger 10/22 action and a lightweight barrel, but it would weight more - the 10/22 action is 1.6 pounds alone - even with the lightest barrel I am betting it would weigh another pound, and that is before adding any kind of butt-stock.

The AT-22 is considerably heavier (than one pound), so is the M6 Scout.

For certain applications minimal weight and size for a rifle is worth paying a premium for. This would be a very nice little rifle for backpacking or for taking along on a motorcycle or bicycle - those sports put a premium on light weight and small size.

Alternatively, a person could carry a lightweight .22 pistol, but then a decent one with a decent barrel will weigh almost twice what this rifle weighs and have a much shorter barrel and much shorter sight radius.

That said, I have not seen anyone do a decent review of the 'Pack-Rifle' and the website doesn't give much decent info on it. For example, what is the accuracy potential of it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 5,329 Times in 505 Posts

It looks like I could snap that gun in two if I touched it. I would rather buy an SKS, Ak, or a shotgun for that much money. I would rather carry another 5 pounds and have a semiauto .22 for half the cost.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:30 PM
To the surface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout Survivor View Post
It looks like I could snap that gun in two if I touched it. I would rather buy an SKS, Ak, or a shotgun for that much money. I would rather carry another 5 pounds and have a semiauto .22 for half the cost.
Well, if you want to spend a lot of money on a POS, then the SKS certainly is one way to waste money when you can buy an AK for about the same cost and get a much better rifle.

But as I stated, this isn't about how to spend $400, this is about a very niche product. IMO, this particular rifle possibly fills the intended niche well (I don't know yet). Carbon fiber may look fragile, but I assure you it is not. I don't know about the rest of the rifle though (where the parts attach to each other).

It caught my eye because it would be a nice rifle to take along on a motorcycle ride in the woods - assuming I could find something protective to carry it in, maybe a PVC tube. That would depend on how far it takes down; I think if the pistol grip come off and goes back on easily, then it would fit in a fairly small PVC tube of about 2" inner diameter. If so, then that should be fairly protective and light.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Always have an exit

Thanked 5,671 Times in 2,188 Posts

I understand the niche thing, I understand the weight thing and I also understand that money is a private decision on how one spends it....... but please bring no shame to the SKS family, It hurts my ears and eyes when I hear or read that someone feels that way.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:08 PM
To the surface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkis View Post
I understand the niche thing, I understand the weight thing and I also understand that money is a private decision on how one spends it....... but please bring no shame to the SKS family, It hurts my ears and eyes when I hear or read that someone feels that way.
I have seen many very POS SKS rifles, especially those that came from China during a certain period of time (the year leading up to the AW ban) when they were rushing production and farming it out to anybody they could so they could import them into the USA. I've seen threaded barrels pounded into non-thread receivers and vice versa, and just a bunch of other crap.

Plus the design is not as robust or as reliable as the AK. I know there are some decent to good SKS rifles out there, but for the life of me I can't understand why someone would buy one and put the same amount of money into it as they would spend on a decent AK.

I have seen some rough examples of AKs come out of China too, but in every case I have seen, they all came from a factory, not a village blacksmith and the only problems I saw were sharp or rough edges which said to me they did not take the time to file those off. With the exception of some mags not fitting some rifles (that they should fit) which was fixed by a little file work, I did not see one of those AKs not function, which is a lot more than I can say for a lot of SKS rifles.

YMMV
Old 12-28-2010, 03:16 PM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,408 Times in 4,748 Posts

Boils down to value for me, rather than weight.
Too pricey for what I require in a backpack .22 and too feature-poor.
But that's me, and those are my specs.
The Following User Says Thank You to WSierra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 04:12 PM
To the surface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSierra View Post
Boils down to value for me, rather than weight.
Too pricey for what I require in a backpack .22 and too feature-poor.
But that's me, and those are my specs.
Everyone has their own criteria and needs.

This is very much a niche product and it is expensive for what it is.

OTOH, it looks like it is close to something I would want for my backcountry travels. I already own a number of .22 LR rifles and handguns, including a 10/22, an M6 Scout (.22/.410), and a Browning Buckmark. I was thinking of getting a Marlin Papoose, but none of these would be quite as small and light as I want for backpacking or dirt bike riding. Something that might fit into a 2 to 3" PVC tube 18" long, or that might fit in a small custom made Kydex sheath, would probably work well for my purposes.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:24 PM

Or, if you're willing to carry 2.5 pounds, an alternative that packs down to 16.5", is semi automatic and comes with 2 eight round magazines for $228.00.
(Oh, and it is supposed to float if you drop it in water. )

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/36597
Old 12-28-2010, 05:14 PM
To the surface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard7 View Post
Or, if you're willing to carry 2.5 pounds, an alternative that packs down to 16.5", is semi automatic and comes with 2 eight round magazines for $228.00.
(Oh, and it is supposed to float if you drop it in water. )

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/36597
In a water tight PVC pipe, I am betting the one pound 'Pack-Rifle' would float too.

There are two problems with the AR-7, even if you ignore the extra weight (every ounce counts on a bicycle or in a backpack):

1) The width of the stock is not amenable to times when space is limited, like on a dirt bike, bicycling or backpacking.

2) The AR-7 has a poor reputation for reliability. I am not sure if the newer ones are better or not, but the ones I have shot were poor in that regard.

I am not particular concerned about having a semi-auto. It would be nice for follow up shots, but often when hunting with a .22 LR you don't get the chance anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 25,581 Times in 13,387 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I'd love to see Sooch00 do a review on one. THe idea of a light weight 22 LR is interesting. I like how the fishing pole extends out of the "buttstock", If I were taking a long backpacking trip and weight was a definite concern, I might think about it.

But I'd really want to see how they hold up before I put down $400 on one.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,852 Posts

It doesn't even have a trigger guard, doesn't even seem safe to me.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heretic View Post
In a water tight PVC pipe, I am betting the one pound 'Pack-Rifle' would float too.

There are two problems with the AR-7, even if you ignore the extra weight (every ounce counts on a bicycle or in a backpack):

1) The width of the stock is not amenable to times when space is limited, like on a dirt bike, bicycling or backpacking.

2) The AR-7 has a poor reputation for reliability. I am not sure if the newer ones are better or not, but the ones I have shot were poor in that regard.

I am not particular concerned about having a semi-auto. It would be nice for follow up shots, but often when hunting with a .22 LR you don't get the chance anyway.
Ayup, both good points. I got one just for the giggle factor, but actually, it's reliability isn't all that bad. I haven't tested it to see how many rounds I can fire without a FTE or FTF, but I did run through a fair amount of mags without a problem. I was running Winchester Super X 40gr round nose, CCI Stingers and CCI Velocitors. IIRC, it seemed to like the Stingers. BUT, regardless of feeding problems, it can ALWAYS shoot one shot at a time, even if you lose both mags. Fifteen round high capacity mags from Sportsman's Guide were a total failure and extremely frustrating. Bad enough that I paid the shipping to return both of them so I wouldn't even have to look at them.

I did have one Stinger eject all the way into the action. What was interesting is the fix. Take out the Leatherman, take off the side plate, pull the spent case, reattach the side plate and continue on. I did like the simplicity of the fix and the internals, although it does give one pause.

Stock width would be an issue for internal storage, but if you strap it on externally, that would reduce the significance.

For backpacking, I agree that every ounce counts. I think on a bicycle you might be able to justify the extra weight.

But, for a couple hundred bucks, it's a fun gun you can throw in your vehicle and not worry about. If you're on a bike you can always find someplace to strap it to. I definitely agree that if you're backpacking a pistol would be a better option.

Just thought I'd throw it out as another possibility.

GB7
The Following User Says Thank You to Greybeard7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 07:35 PM

What I really want is an SBR version of this (about 1lb):

I haven't found a folding stock for the 22/45 pistols though.