Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,553 Times in 874 Posts
Default kerosene question??????

Advertise Here

How long will K-1 kerosene last in a sealed 5 gallon metal can?

a 5 gallon plastic pouring can......

anything i can add to extend life?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Being Prepared

A very long time. At least 3 years. But I would expect much more if sealed and kept cool. 20 years or more.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,408 Posts

The companies that well you "fuel extenders" will tell you it needs to be treated with stabilizer just like regular diesel.

Kept sealed in a cool, dark place it can last for many years untreated.

It may discolor (turns yellowish) over time and will produce more soot & odor when burned, but still usable in lanterns and such.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 97,238 Times in 31,896 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Kerosene will last pretty well for a few years. It depends on what you're going to be burning it in though. For example, my kerosene lamps have no trouble handling dirty, degraded decades old kerosene. But my kerosene heater and Alpaca cook stove are pickier about clean fresh kerosene. The old grungy stuff ruins their wicks in short order.

You can extend the life a very long time with PRI-D though. It's meant for diesel, but it works fine for kerosene. You can also retreat it several times for even longer storage.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:04 AM
Target Shooter

The problem with kerosene is even if it is stored in a steel can and on wood pallets it will still draw in water. I would try not to store it for very long. Kerosene sucks anyway, there are so many other fuel alternatives for the same price. Forget fuel extenders Water will ruin the fuel long before it goes bad.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,113 Times in 2,053 Posts

Klean Heat (google it) has an indefinite shelf life and is safer to store than kerosene.

I've been told it is synthetic - prices have actually dropped on it in recent years since I first started storing it. Also, buying it in bulk can cut the price almost in half.

Quote:
Klean-Strip Klean Heat is the perfect choice to use in place of K-1 kerosene in kerosene-burning appliances such as heaters, lamps and stoves. This premium fuel is safer and more convenient to store than kerosene. It contains less sulfur and aromatics so it has NO kerosene odor - before, during, and after burning. The clear formula burns clean to extend the life of your wick and limit smoke, soot and emissions. Klean Heat is the superior choice for safe and odorless warmth this season.

No Odor when Burning
Excellent Heat Output
Less Smoke & Soot than Kerosene
Safer to Use & Store than Kerosene
MFG Brand Name : Klean-Strip
MFG Model # : GKKH99991
MFG Part # : GKKH99991

Also, here are some interesting tech faqs about kerosene, although I do not agree with all of it ....

http://www.worldmkting.com/support/technical_faqs.htm
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,795 Posts

Just a thought.........gasoline eventually degrades and cant be used in modern vehicles as gas.but it degrades to the point it can be used as a kerosene substitute................

I have drained old gas from gas tanks, stuff that is 6 or 7 years old, placed in a kerosene lantern it burned just fine, kinda smokey and smelly, but...I point this out as a possible un-thought of fuel source if necessary. I really did not expect that outcome