Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > The International Section > Our World Wide Survivalist Forums > British Isles and ROI
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-26-2010, 07:49 AM
Bushcrafter

Thanked 1,086 Times in 595 Posts
Default Making Solid Fuel for stoves

Advertise Here

This Brazilian guy has made some good videos, here's one about how to make solid fuel for stoves from candle wax and cotton wool. He says he had to do it 'cause you can't easily get hexamine in that part of the world. I may try this myself with some leftover bits of candle:

This guy has field tested the fuel and boiled some water with it outdoors:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hanfgeist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Prepared

I am glad you posted these, I tried doing something similar last year with wax and paper, it used quite a lot of wax and took ages to get them lit, I like the idea of using cotton wool, I am going to make a batch now and test them.

Thanks for linking.
The Following User Says Thank You to nemie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Prepared

Update I made two types normal candle wax paraffin based and also made some using food grade wax, I was hoping the food grade would not leave a black residue on my tins, still need to test that.

I managed to get 12Min 30Sec's burn time using one food grade wax/cotton these are really good, it was a powerful flame throughout.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nemie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Prepared

Made a video today both type waxes were used to see what gave best results, I found the food grade to burn longer it seemed to produce a lot of resin around its base as it burned, this happened last night as well when I burned one, the candle grade wax does not do this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nemie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Bushcrafter

I cobbled together an improvised cooker today, to cook with, using the wax cotton solid fuel and it worked really well and did not scorch the kitchen table. I used a quality street tin (you can use any metal tin, like a biscuit tin) to contain the fuel, four empty cans and the grill mesh from my cooker. I used two wax cotton fuel tabs, one to cook a fried egg in a skillet/frying pan and one to boil water in a hiking cup to make tea. It worked very well, very little smoke (kept the window open a crack for ventilation) and is a reasonably good way to heat food/keep warm, if the gas and electrical grid goes down. See pictures: (best viewed with slide show or dark background options)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8821964...7625737852894/
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanfgeist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 05:29 AM

i read of an alternative before Christmas using the lint build up from the tumble dryer.. I've saved my tuna tins however I don't have enough lint (fluff yet) i may use cotton wool to bulk it out.

How dificult are they to light, the post i read proposed plucking multiple wicks (bits of fluff) from the wax.. the candle contents where contained in a tuna tin.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Bushcrafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymul View Post
i read of an alternative before Christmas using the lint build up from the tumble dryer.. I've saved my tuna tins however I don't have enough lint (fluff yet) i may use cotton wool to bulk it out.

How dificult are they to light, the post i read proposed plucking multiple wicks (bits of fluff) from the wax.. the candle contents where contained in a tuna tin.

I put some small bits of string in the wax/cotton fuel tabs I made and they lit ok...
Old 01-06-2011, 03:48 AM
very very tired!

I've done the same thing but with tealights from Ikea instead of the home made fuel. It works Thanks HG
Old 01-06-2011, 08:37 AM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 14,425 Times in 4,289 Posts

Not to hijack the thread but here is a recipe for making your own sterno:

Quote:
How to Make "Sterno™"
A solid camping fuel like Sterno™ or Magic Heat™ was discovered several years ago when a group of campers forgot to pack fuel for their camp stove. Because the area prohibited use of campfires, the campers needed to use an alternative fuel source. One of the campers made a gel that they could use as a solid fuel. To make this gel, chalk was crushed and mixed with vinegar. The resulting mixture was filtered through a napkin and the liquid collected was heated using a solar reflector. Some rubbing alcohol was poured into the solution to form a gel which burned.
You can repeat this process and make their own gelled fuel at home with alcohol and calcium acetate
(C4H6CaO4). Either methanol or ethanol can be used for fuel. Calcium acetate (C4H6CaO4) can be purchased or made by slowly dissolving calcium carbonate (eggshells or chalk) in vinegar, filtering, and allowing to dry
Here's how to do it…
Step 1: Place about 1 oz. of chalk (or egg shells) in a mortar and pestle and grind to small pieces.
Transfer chalk to pint container and add 4 oz of vinegar. Stir for 5 minutes.
What’s Happening: A reaction between chalk (calcium carbonate) and vinegar (acetic acid, dilute) to
produces carbon dioxide, water and calcium acetate
Step 2: Pour the chalk-vinegar mixture into the funnel lined with a coffee filter and collect the liquid
in a pint container.
What’s Happening: Filtration of unreacted chalk from the mixture to leave a solution of calcium acetate
in water
Step 3: Pour 2 oz of the liquid into the dish. Gently heat the dish with a Bunsen burner until the volume
is reduced by half. Turn off burner and allow concentrated solution to cool.
What’s Happening: Removal of excess water will concentrate the calcium acetate in the solution
Step 4: Add 1 oz. of alcohol to liquid in dish. DO NOT STIR! The gel should form rapidly. Pour off any
excess alcohol.
What’s Happening: Mixing alcohol with calcium acetate will form the gel fuel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creek Walker For This Useful Post: