Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 12-25-2010, 06:05 PM

Default DPMS how reliable are they

Advertise Here

I have a question on DPMS rifles. I am looking at purchasing one in 308 and 3 in 5.56. I was wandering how reliable they are. Does anyone own these type of ar's and recomend them or not. thanks
Old 12-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,155 Times in 490 Posts

I have a AR 15 M 4, great gun. Only thing it dont like are tracers.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Ding... Thanks for playin

Thanked 7,387 Times in 2,078 Posts

Like them, shot them and they are good enough for Uncle Ted and his Spirit of the Wild TV show... Remember with his money, he can buy anything...
Old 12-25-2010, 08:12 PM

Rock River
Old 12-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Just a rock & spear guy

Thanked 1,615 Times in 612 Posts

I know at least the cheaper ones don't have a forward assist or ejection port cover - and no way to add one either.

I just returned one. had machine marks all over the inside, felt like a piece of crap when I cycled the bolt and the key wasn't staked very well on the BCG.

Buy something better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gronk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle5120 View Post
I have a question on DPMS rifles. I am looking at purchasing one in 308 and 3 in 5.56. I was wandering how reliable they are. Does anyone own these type of ar's and recomend them or not. thanks
I have experience with DPMS' 5.56mm rifles, none with their .308s, so my comments pertain to the 5.56mm rifles only.

You'll get lots of opinions from people who've only seen one or two rifles who say they're great. I've worked with many several years back, and have used some of their parts in my past builds.

My advice is to not take anyone's word on the internet about DPMS, but spend a little time and educate yourself before spending $750 or more on a DPMS rifle in 5.56mm, as there are better options for not a lot more up front cost.

While you may find one that doesn't cause you any problems, chances are if you're looking for a hard use weapon these will let you down sooner or later. DPMS does not build with high quality parts, often omit things like a forward assist, don't use twist rates that will launch heavier projectiles nor do any extra testing or staking to ensure the weapon will function when used as intended, as a fighting rifle. These weapons are "civilianized", and resemble the military versions in appearance only.

However, if your intended use is as a bench rifle to shoot ~100 rounds a month slow-fire, or shoot cans in the dirt a couple of times a year, I'm sure they'll serve your needs just fine.

In my opinion, you can get much more reliable and higher quality weapons (built with much higher quality parts and assembled with more care) for not much more money ($100-$200 more each, or less), particularly if you're at all interested in assembling AR lowers yourself.

Even if you aren't interested in building up lowers, the best deal going on a high quality weapon right now is here:

http://www.smartgunner.com/upperreceivers.aspx

Pick the upper of your choice and click the box at the bottom for a fully assembled lower (and don't forget to select a bolt carrier group, charging handle, rail system and rear sight), and you'll have a complete rifle with the push of two pins, for <$950 (and only a little more if you want a better rail system than the MOE I selected).

When looking at the price difference between DPMS and a higher quality weapon like DD, BCM, Colt, LMT, etc., I really can't see the attraction.

First, rifles are tools. "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools".

Second, if you actually shoot your weapon any reasonable amount over a period of years, the ammo costs will far eclipse the price you paid for the rifle itself. Even 10 years of only 1K rounds a year would run you $3K (shooting cheap brass cased M193 clones), which far outpaces the price of the gun.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mizer67 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,297 Times in 1,585 Posts
Thumbs up DPMS

Not a single malfunction of any kind in scores of thousands of rounds using everything from budget steel-cased Wolf to Federal Gold Medal Match in my A-15 flattop. Don't let anyone dissuade you from buying one based on their personal prejudices and opinions.

Try to get a chrome-plated 1/7 twist barrel with 5.56 chamber. Everything else is up to personal preferences; flattop, barrel length, grips, etc..
Old 12-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Space Cadet

You won't get a better answer to your question anywhere than mizer67's above.

Definitely look at the smartgunner deals, they're good through the end of the year. I ordered a 16" DD LW CHF midlength upper, what a great deal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy_McNasty View Post
Not a single malfunction of any kind in scores of thousands of rounds using everything from budget steel-cased Wolf to Federal Gold Medal Match in my A-15 flattop. Don't let anyone dissuade you from buying one based on their personal prejudices and opinions.

Try to get a chrome-plated 1/7 twist barrel with 5.56 chamber. Everything else is up to personal preferences; flattop, barrel length, grips, etc..
Where are you finding DPMS rifles with 1/7 twists that are chrome plated?

It's been several years, but last I checked all they sold was 1/9's, and most (all, I think) weren't chrome lined barrels.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:11 AM

For an off the shelf AR-15 DPMS is just as good as anything else that is a basic rifle. And just a FYI, there is only 2 0r 3 companies that make lowers and I think 2 companies that make uppers, not sure on barrels though. So basically all standard AR's are the same, unless you get into a higher priced that might have a stage 2 trigger that is standard.

I currently own 4 AR-15's 2 of which are DPMS. I have fired well over 10K rounds through the DPMS that I carry on duty, and have not had any real issues with the rifle, actually there has only been 4 FTF's and they were on home load's and I believe it was a bad primer.

As stated before, don't take someone's word over the internet, on not to buy something you are interested in, I am telling you my personal experiences and they have been great, the guy before might have had bad experience but that does not mean anything.

Best of luck when picking your new rifle, and when you get it, post up what you got and what you think of it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redneck1861 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,757 Times in 2,242 Posts
Lightbulb

DPMS is now owned by REMINGTON...
The Following User Says Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Just a rock & spear guy

Thanked 1,615 Times in 612 Posts

I'll second a couple of the suggestions here, first if you really want to save some $$$$ then build your own. Its not all that hard and while you'll need to acquire a few tools you will also gain the knowledge to do the maintence as well as an intimate understanding of the functioning of your firearm.

I'll also second the smartgunner.com website; fantastic deals there, the Daniel Defense items are top tier and well worth every penny.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:29 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have 2 DPMS in the 5.56 16" 1/9 twist WITH Chrome lined Barrels (Says so right on the bottom of the barrel) I have had really no issues with mine, Other than mag feed issues, I only have to say is don't buy an oracle they are the bottom of the food chain, but look around and you can get some good deals, But if you got the money to pi$$ away you can always buy something that costs $1500 or more and still get a rifle that shoots and has some kinda issue,

On this site opinions are like A$$holes everyone has one and sure are quite alot on here too. Like anyone that posts about buying an AK, You'd be told buy an AR.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:09 AM
pro-gun-news.com

Ive got over 5000 rounds of crap russian lacquered steel ammo through mine, Not one malfunction.

16 inch carbine.
The Following User Says Thank You to KAK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2010, 10:08 AM

While there are only a few companies who cast or forge lowers and uppers, the machining is done by quite a few companies.
The problem comes in when Gomer (the new guy or company dope) gets on the line for a while, he doesn't put the part in the jig right, but drills it anyway and it passes on.
One of the things that you pay for when buying from a company that charges more than, say, DPMS, is quality control that will eliminate more of these Gomered rifles.
This is pretty much true in most items of similar design and purpose you would buy from separate manufacturers. Occasionally, something may be just plain over-priced, but this is a situation that usually works itself out in the market.
If your building an AR a DPMS lower kit will work fine, although a lot of guys will buy a high end trigger. This is smart if you are building a rifle primarily for accuracy.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:28 AM

I got a 5.56 AP4 Panther 16" Carbine, 1x9 twist and haven't had a bit of problem. My cousin has 2, one the 5.56, not sure the other cal., but he highly recommended them to me. So we're both happy with DOMS.

CB
Old 12-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavs01 View Post
I have 2 DPMS in the 5.56 16" 1/9 twist WITH Chrome lined Barrels (Says so right on the bottom of the barrel) I have had really no issues with mine, Other than mag feed issues, I only have to say is don't buy an oracle they are the bottom of the food chain, but look around and you can get some good deals, But if you got the money to pi$$ away you can always buy something that costs $1500 or more and still get a rifle that shoots and has some kinda issue,

On this site opinions are like A$$holes everyone has one and sure are quite alot on here too. Like anyone that posts about buying an AK, You'd be told buy an AR.
Yes, you're correct. They do offer chome lined barrels standard, or as an option. My mistake.

Found this:

DPMS offers chrome-lined barrels in the following configurations as a factory option:
20" Heavy Barrel
16" Heavy Barrel
16" M4 Contoured Barrel
14.5" M4 Contoured Barrel
11.5" Short Barrel
7" Short Barrel
Cost of this upgrade is $32.95. As a note ALL 14.5", 11.5" and 7" barrels have chrome-lined bores and chambers.
The Following User Says Thank You to mizer67 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2010, 11:10 AM

Thank you all for your help and replies. I am new to the AR 15's. I have been checking them out for awhile. The only experience I had was with the m16a1 and m16a2 was back in my military days and that was just to get familiar with them. I'll check out other manufacturers of ar15's. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank56 View Post
While there are only a few companies who cast or forge lowers and uppers, the machining is done by quite a few companies.
The problem comes in when Gomer (the new guy or company dope) gets on the line for a while, he doesn't put the part in the jig right, but drills it anyway and it passes on.
One of the things that you pay for when buying from a company that charges more than, say, DPMS, is quality control that will eliminate more of these Gomered rifles.
This is pretty much true in most items of similar design and purpose you would buy from separate manufacturers. Occasionally, something may be just plain over-priced, but this is a situation that usually works itself out in the market.
If your building an AR a DPMS lower kit will work fine, although a lot of guys will buy a high end trigger. This is smart if you are building a rifle primarily for accuracy.
nice theory, too bad its BS.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Motivated

Thanked 4,520 Times in 1,399 Posts

Just buy from Bravo Company and call it done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Jackson For This Useful Post: