Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-22-2010, 08:32 AM

Default military field phones

Advertise Here

Have looked on ebay but somewhat leary of the condition. Anyone looked into this and have any suggestions on picking up a reliable set of military field phones?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Procrastinate Now

Thanked 3,184 Times in 795 Posts

can you post a link or photos?
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnWStiner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 98,225 Times in 32,078 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I've picked up a bunch of them cheap at gun shows. The surplus dealers don't always have them, but when they do, they're usually not expensive. At least not down here. There isn't much demand for them here.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Closed.

Thanked 26,116 Times in 10,995 Posts

I don't know what field phones you guys use but ours ran on batteries and required lots of D10 (phone wire) not really very practical tbh
Old 12-22-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWStiner View Post
can you post a link or photos?
The phone I was given has a hand crank generator built in

http://oldtelecomsrsa.blogspot.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_telephone

I haven't looked too far into it, but I believe this single handset with built in crank would provide enough battery for the receiver on the other end. All you would need is some wire, I think. I'll haveta look further into it (I work for the phone Co.)

E
Old 12-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Green Eggs and Spam

Thanked 4,963 Times in 1,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamgar57 View Post
... any suggestions on picking up a reliable set of military field phones?
My first question is, "WHY?" Radio is the new phone; without wires!

Wired is more secure, but that is not a big issue. I forget the technobable term, but just have preset code terms. You say, "The dog is sleeping on the porch" has been established to mean that you have seen unknown people to the south.

Just saw that a football team has boards with 4 images on them. The issue is that there can be one other variable; or perhaps two! They could have based the meaning upon the down, or quarter, or something else even more subtle. In other words, you can use the same phrase, and attach a different meaning for each day of the week. In other words, just get creative.

If you have built an underground bunker then you might have use for a phone system. However, you could project build an intercom system and ruggedized for the specific installation.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:28 PM
huh......what?

Thanked 33,110 Times in 8,139 Posts

My brother got a set of Czechoslovakian military field phones a few years ago from Sportsmansguide, for something like $65 bucks, brand new. The quality was outstanding. He ran them upstairs to his daughters room so he could have her bring us down more ice for the "beverages".
He and his wife seem to have split up, and I'm trying to snag the field phones before they just disappear.
I'd say, if you can find a use for them, and can get a deal, then get some. They're uber-cool, fun to use, and work great. I'd see these especially useful if you lived within a hundred yards of a close freind or relative, and wanted secure com. Run the cable ( it's LONG) through some 1" PVC and bury it, and you're secure from eavesdropping, and not reliant on the grid, or batteries.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Not what I appear to be

Thanked 3,694 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmodofinga View Post
The phone I was given has a hand crank generator built in

http://oldtelecomsrsa.blogspot.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_telephone

I haven't looked too far into it, but I believe this single handset with built in crank would provide enough battery for the receiver on the other end. All you would need is some wire, I think. I'll haveta look further into it (I work for the phone Co.)E
I couldn't quite read the left side instructions because the picture isn't clear enough, but I looks like Dutch not German. It appears to be a NATO copy of a TA-312.

I have a pair of TA-1s that would also do for commo with an LP/OP, no need for air commo with a position 50 to 100 meters to your front.
You don't need batteries for a TA-1. You don't really need batteries for a TA-312 unless you plan on long distance commo or a hook up with a switchboard.
Attached Thumbnails
TA 312.jpg   TA1.jpg  
Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Warrior View Post
I couldn't quite read the left side instructions because the picture isn't clear enough, but I looks like Dutch not German. It appears to be a NATO copy of a TA-312.

I have a pair of TA-1s that would also do for commo with an LP/OP, no need for air commo with a position 50 to 100 meters to your front.
You don't need batteries for a TA-1. You don't really need batteries for a TA-312 unless you plan on long distance commo or a hook up with a switchboard.
The instructions are in Afrikaans - a South African language and were developed from Dutch so you are nearly spot on!

It is possible that if is a NATO copy as the South African military conform to NATO standards (or at least used to be )

It uses a battery and the crank is to generate a ring signal on the other phone(s).

During my time in the army we used then at stationary sentry positions and AFAIK we never complained about flat batteries but maybe someone did maintenance on the systems.

Last edited by Malema; 12-22-2010 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: Add more info
The Following User Says Thank You to Malema For This Useful Post: