Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > Religious Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-15-2010, 08:31 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,177 Times in 507 Posts
Default Rev. 8:1, half hour silence / What are your views?

Advertise Here

I would be interested in hearing some views about the half hour silence. Hereís a quick summery of my thinking on the subject.
1- It starts at the opening of the 7th seal. See Rev. 8:1

2- It ends when the Lord comes in his glory. See D&C 88:95
"And there shall be silence in heaven for the space of half an hour; and immediately after shall the curtain of heaven be unfolded, as a scroll is unfolded after it is rolled up, and the face of the Lord shall be unveiled;"

3- It is according to the Lordís time and is therefore about 21 years.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 25,009 Times in 7,888 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I believe it is the time period between the Feast of Trumpets and the Day of Atonement...10 days.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM
I love this forum

The half hour of silences, comes after the events of the sixth seal complete--the end. It's relative to when these things are accomplished. Now that will start us arguing about whether it's complete---again. I don't think they are, because I look for literal fulfillement of these passages:

Quote:
12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

When this has happened, then the half hour of silence starts.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,795 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullenite View Post
I would be interested in hearing some views about the half hour silence. Hereís a quick summery of my thinking on the subject.
1- It starts at the opening of the 7th seal. See Rev. 8:1

2- It ends when the Lord comes in his glory. See D&C 88:95
"And there shall be silence in heaven for the space of half an hour; and immediately after shall the curtain of heaven be unfolded, as a scroll is unfolded after it is rolled up, and the face of the Lord shall be unveiled;"

3- It is according to the Lordís time and is therefore about 21 years.
well, first of all, what's D&C? is that in the mormon book? Does it say anything about half an hour anywhere else?

I vaguely remember hearing about this years and years ago.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,795 Times in 2,084 Posts

oh! lol! it is in revelations.

well what is D&C anyways?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovenus View Post
oh! lol! it is in revelations.

well what is D&C anyways?
The book of Doctrine and Covenants is one of the standard works of the Church in company with the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, and the Pearl of Great Price. However, the Doctrine and Covenants is unique because it is not a translation of an ancient document, but is of modern origin and was given of God through his chosen prophets for the restoration of his holy work and the establishment of the kingdom of God on the earth in these days. In the revelations, one hears the tender but firm voice of the Lord Jesus Christ, speaking anew in the dispensation of the fulness of times; and the work that is initiated herein is preparatory to his second coming, in fulfillment of and in concert with the words of all the holy prophets since the world began.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Hiker

I have always wondered about the " half hour of silence" . I will have to spend some time investigating that.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,120 Times in 1,686 Posts

Dont hold to extra biblical books,
but in answer to the question; imho it corresponds typologically with the walls coming down at Jericho in Joshua and the people of God taking hold of the kingdom at the last trump when Jesus returns after the tribulation.
Just a quick version you understansd time constraints currently prohibit further embellishment.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,265 Times in 659 Posts

I don't think that it will be 21 years. I think it will be a half hour of earth's time.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:28 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyme78 View Post
I don't think that it will be 21 years. I think it will be a half hour of earth's time.
The half hour of silences, comes after the events of the sixth seal complete--the end. It's relative to when these things are accomplished. Now that will start us arguing about whether it's complete---again. I don't think they are, because I look for literal fulfillement of these passages:

Quote:Rev. 9:
12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

When this has happened, then the half hour of silence starts.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks

Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,939 Posts

There is a difference between a prophecy and a vision. Visions can be prophetic, but they are symbolic. (Like the prophetic vision of the Nebuchadnezzar statue as an example. A statue didn't LITERALLY happen - VS. The Birth of Christ was prophesied and it LITERALLY happened)

In my studies, I am thinking Revelation is prophetic but symbolic - ie: NOT LITERAL. I am starting to lean towards this book being wholly so.

I think it is a 'let him who has wisdom, hear'....
Old 12-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,439 Times in 2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherEarth View Post
There is a difference between a prophecy and a vision. Visions can be prophetic, but they are symbolic. (Like the prophetic vision of the Nebuchadnezzar statue as an example. A statue didn't LITERALLY happen - VS. The Birth of Christ was prophesied and it LITERALLY happened)

In my studies, I am thinking Revelation is prophetic but symbolic - ie: NOT LITERAL. I am starting to lean towards this book being wholly so.

I think it is a 'let him who has wisdom, hear'....
I kinda agree with you.

I believe John had a vision of actual events it's just that the things/words he uses to tell about what he saw are symbolic not literal.

Or literal events represented by images: stars=angels, candlesticks=churches.water, trees, green things=men, etc etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to armourbearer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 11:47 PM

I think its pretty plain- no one had a thing to say. Or maybe DARED not speak. A great and terrible and just and right and horrible thing is upon the Earth and its inhabitants. Kind of like witnessing an execution- what is there to say?
The Following User Says Thank You to elkhills For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbearer View Post
I kinda agree with you.

I believe John had a vision of actual events it's just that the things/words he uses to tell about what he saw are symbolic not literal.

Or literal events represented by images: stars=angels, candlesticks=churches.water, trees, green things=men, etc etc.
Right, thats a better way of putting it. I absolutely think every thing will happen, just not literally as it says.

Some people really do think a good chunk of it is literal. IE: beasts and all.

Still studying.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:06 PM
John 3:16

Thanked 48,117 Times in 20,530 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Revelation 8:1 When He opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.

Interesting.

Could this be so that all of heaven could hear the prayers of those on earth or could it be the silence building anticipation before the trumpets were sounded?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Revelation 8:1 When He opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.

Interesting.

Could this be so that all of heaven could hear the prayers of those on earth or could it be the silence building anticipation before the trumpets were sounded?
Good question, Saint...

Wonder if there are any clues in the other books what this means..
Old 12-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherEarth View Post
Good question, Saint...

Wonder if there are any clues in the other books what this means..
The question I ask myself is will we be aware of ANY of the seals being opened? I know what revelations says but there is also spiritual events happening at the same time.

Will we even know whatís going on or will we be so preoccupied with life in our respective bubbles that we wont even notice?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,439 Times in 2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
The question I ask myself is will we be aware of ANY of the seals being opened? I know what revelations says but there is also spiritual events happening at the same time.

Will we even know whatís going on or will we be so preoccupied with life in our respective bubbles that we wont even notice?
FWIW I think the seals are open. There are 2 reasons I think they are open. One is this verse:

Rev. 5:5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.

And, two they 'contain' knowledge that we need to know to discern and understand end time events.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to armourbearer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks

AB, do you have any good video/audio links that go over this so I can use it as a jumping off point for more research? Thank you, Dear!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:07 PM

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbearer View Post
And, two they 'contain' knowledge that we need to know to discern and understand end time events.
OH I like this! indeed.

I will be researching scripture that references fog or veils being lifed or knowlege gained for believers.

very interesting point. let him who hath understanding.....