Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Books, Movies & Stories
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-13-2010, 01:05 AM
gun nut on a budget

Default james Wesley Rawles

Advertise Here

what do you guys think of him i recently got "How to survive teotwawki" so far what he says makes sence but he teachs total preparedness which is hard and in somways unrealistic. what do you guys and gals think of his type of survival. my cusin read i little of my book and liked it over one he just got becuase of how it was writen his book was writen more like a text book and was hard to keep reading. i just started my survival library and was wondering if i started it off good.

i appreciate your thoughts
The Following User Says Thank You to m4ak For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Prepared

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

It's not a bad start, but you should read other authors such as Cody Lundin, Ray Mears, Mykel Hawk, and Mors Kochanski to get different viewpoints and skills in survival and bushcraft. Then go and practice for yourself to determine what works and what doesn't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZenEngineer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2010, 04:50 PM

The man is a REMF (ask a vet) and that was posted on his site until too many people were catching on so he pulled it. The blog is for millionaires (or billionaires) ONLY and my personal impression of the guy is not good. His book PATRIOTS (version 5) has heros that are thugs, highwaymen and murders, but of course everyone loves it (see review of the book in book review section).

For truely USEFUL info, try Kurt Saxon (survialplus.com), Boston T. Party/aka Ken Royce (javelinpress.com), HOW TO SURVIVE IN CITY AND COUNTRY by Ragnar Benson (his early stuff was excellent, the middle stuff is worthless sucker bait, the later stuff good), BACKWOODSMAN Mag, BACKWOODS HOME Mag, BACKWOODSTRADERS.COM (they sell a CD of the old INDEPENDENT AMERICAN Mag that was excellent!)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Legion489 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2010, 12:20 AM

Thanked 1,105 Times in 492 Posts

Rawles has a particular style...it takes some getting used to.

Read as much as you can of as many things as you can find. You can always learn something from somebody, either a way TO do something, or a way NOT to do something.

Knowledge is ultra featherlight...it adds no weight to your pack no matter how much you know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wifiwaves For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifiwaves View Post

Read as much as you can of as many things as you can find. You can always learn something from somebody, either a way TO do something, or a way NOT to do something.

Knowledge is ultra featherlight...it adds no weight to your pack no matter how much you know.
I've said it once if I've said it a million times: after reading Patriots I find Rawles' survival ideas to be massive pipe dream for 99.9% of preppers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doc_jude For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,117 Times in 443 Posts

Patriots was a decent read, but not very realistic in my opinion. One Second After was alot better and more believable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the gambler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,580 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifiwaves View Post

Very good advice.....and I always tell my kids a "mistake" can be very valuable....if it teaches you something.
The Following User Says Thank You to papajoscochise For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2010, 01:07 PM

Just read an updated printinf of Patriots. His "heroes" are obviously not operating within my budget. They are all 30ish and child-less (not my reality at least), My wife/girlfriend read it after I did and gained a lot of insight from it as well though... She and I have discussed the book and scenarios at length and we have very different ideas (from the author) on what will work for us. As far as his blog, it does seem to be for the more well-to-do, check out the "profiles of a prepper" section....not my world! Educational no the less. As has been said... "knowledge weighs little".
Old 12-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Surviving selling labor

Rawles' lessons are best for the $250k/yr crowd. If you earn a five figure salary I'd concentrate more time on other authors. Not that Rawles' advice is bad; it's like hiring a $400/hr attorney to fight a parking ticket. Not an appropriate use of the resource.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Stop being on my side!

Thanked 25,645 Times in 7,405 Posts

Haven't read this one yet, but I read "Patriots" way back when. I pretty much agree with the others here in their assessment, especially in the notion that you should learn from multiple sources. Do not rely on a guru; learn for yourself.

Lately, I've been less and less interested in "survival experts" and more in obtaining individual skills/capabilities I might need. Learn from everybody you can, no matter what the field.

[ hitting "post" even though I fear I worded that badly ]
The Following User Says Thank You to Old dude For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2010, 05:24 PM
gun nut on a budget

im going to read as many books from as many authors i think rawles advocates being totaly ready with means all your money and saving tied up in being ready which is very unrealistic he seams like a burt gummer to me but does make some good points
Old 12-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNGEN View Post
Rawles' lessons are best for the $250k/yr crowd. If you earn a five figure salary I'd concentrate more time on other authors. Not that Rawles' advice is bad; it's like hiring a $400/hr attorney to fight a parking ticket. Not an appropriate use of the resource.
Agreed. I prefer Jim Dakin's Frugal Survival materials much more. He's more of the "cover the basics for survival and then build from there as your budget permits" mentality. It's like five-figure blue collar survival prep.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doc_jude For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2010, 04:05 PM

Jim Dakin is/was GREAT! His old Walter Mitty Papers were worth their weight in gold. The INDEPENDENT AMERICAN MAG (CD available from Backwoodstraders.com for $10) was written by people who "went and done", they actually TRIED it instead of giving it a WAG. Naturally no one wanted to actually pay for useful info when so much worthless garbage is avaiable for free, so it folded.

Rawles is a REMF (that used to be on his blog until too many people started catching on). Rawles blog is only for millionaire (he might disagree and claim it is written for BILLionaires) and the latest version of PATRIOTS (first was "Grey Ninties", then "Triple Ought", then a self published version of Patriots for his friends to review, then Patriots, then the current 2010 version. All the thugs and murders (he calls them the heros of the book) are millionaires or more, and the book is so totally unrealistic and self serving it has to be a tax write off when he mentions all his neat toys. I loved it when one of the murders s******s "Only fools use public roads!" when attacking any passers by, and then whines "But it's a public road!" when a town doesn't want thugs and murders passing through and tell them to turn around. Also the woman who whines "Communist cannibal murders are the wrost kind!" and then the heros loot everyone and steal everything they can lay their hands on.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,125 Posts

I like JWR and read his blog every day; I've learned useful things from the posts other people write and from the links to news stories.

I have a fundamental disagreement with him about bugging out. I'm not convinced being on 200 acres in the middle of nowhere is necessarily the wisest choice. I'm in a suburban neighborhood, very stable and low crime (right now). If SHTF I don't believe all these people will go nuts; in too many minor emergencies I've seen everyone working together against a common enemy--flood, ice storm, electrical outage. We have quite a few good gardners on my block and exmilitary as well; also two nurses. I really believe if things get bad this group will be able to work together to provide protection and some smattering of services.

I just read a wise saying on another post, something about knowledge being so valuable and not weighing much in your BOB. The sole of my houseshoe just came off and I suddenly realized I'd like to learn how to repair/make shoes. There's a shoe repair shop not far away and I'm seriously thinking of walking in and asking the owner if he/she is willing to train an apprentice who'll work for nothing. If I get the guts to actually do this, I'll let everyone know. Just imagine. . .

Strange woman: Hi. I saw your cobbler shop and thought I'd visit for a moment.

Cobbler: Fine. You got any shoes that need fixing?

Strange woman: No, not right now. Actually, I was wondering if I could work with you and learn to mend shoes. You don't have to pay me anything. I just want to learn.

Cobbler: Ha, ha! Why do you want to learn about shoes?

Strange woman: Because I and some of my online friends think hard times and/or the end of the world are coming and I want to be ready.

Cobbler: Would you excuse me while I make a phone call? Hello, psychiatric hospital? I have a patient for you. . . Yes, please come to 123 X Street immediately. I believe she'll need heavy sedation. Thank you.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Procrastinate Now

Thanked 3,185 Times in 795 Posts

I read Patriots. I enjoyed it, but if got real preachy at the end.

I went to his web site and looked at his blogs. It's ok i guess, but he is a lot self righteous.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion489 View Post
Rawles is a REMF (that used to be on his blog until too many people started catching on)...
LOL!!! That's funny, I said the same thing after reading PATRIOTS, a bunch of vet friends all handed the book around and we all agreed he had to have been a REMF-in' Pogue, had to be with all that planning, all that gear, & so little imagination...
Old 12-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Above all, endure

+1 for what Zen Engineer said. Cody Lundin is very sharp -- I recommend his book "When All Hell Breaks Loose" as well as Dave Canterbury's youtube channel wildernessoutfitters.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:36 AM
Sibi Totique

Thanked 2,502 Times in 617 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 3

I read both the book that you are referring to and ”Patriots”. They are not bad books but I agree with much of the critique, but of course there are some good ideas and suggestions in these books.

The Budget of such a project is needless to say quite expensive.

My personal favorite is John Wisemans “The SAS Survival Handbook”. If you live in Scandinavia you also want to check out the books from Lars Fält.

My own addition: The Free Online Survival Guide

For those how don’t have a large budget the Transition Network, Red Cross or CERT teams can be cheap way to meet people and learn new skills.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Westfalia For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2010, 05:10 AM

Patriots is poor literature but useful if you take with pinch of salt. I couldn't stop laughing when the UN forces came in to start a 'New World Order' government. Anyone who has worked with the UN knows they can't organize a beer in a pub.

Even if dated Life After Doomsday or Mel Tappan's On Survival are better books.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to felixdz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2010, 01:58 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
My personal favorite is John Wisemans “The SAS Survival Handbook
Agreed. Lofty is Tha Man!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to doc_jude For This Useful Post: