Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Fearless, until scared.

Question long term storage for store bought pasta?

Advertise Here

I recently began a long term food storage project that's going to run for a long time as I acquire stuff. Seeing I don't have a grain mill on hand (currently) I was thinking of just using store bought pasta, purchased in bulk and placed in vacuum sealed mylar bags (w/ desiccant, and O2 absorber). How long would these items last? Now that I think about it, packed pasta (not spaghetti) has quite a bit of airspace between individual pieces, so perhaps it's not the best thing to have stored. Regardless, what are your thoughts about how long these items could be stored this way.

Thanks for your time!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skydiverMN For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,843 Times in 2,457 Posts

I think they would last a long time because they are, by definition, dried and have no fat to turn rancid.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Don't tread on me.

Location: I work hard not to be found, and now Im just listing it to everyone?
Thanked 1,466 Times in 551 Posts

I really haven't gotten it to last more than a year without tasting stale. Still edible, but not too palatable.
Its relatively easy to make your own pasta, or just rotate a years supply, thats quite a bit to keep on hand.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,095 Times in 376 Posts

I have about 10lbs of pasta noodles on hand... From what I read, as long as it is kept cool and dry it will last years. I sealed mine in a 5 gallon bucket and mylar.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Hiker

I've eaten pasta that was 10 years old, and it tasted just like..... nothing, just like non-10-year-old-pasta tastes like. If it was stored in a cool, dry environment it would probably last for just about ever. It's probably why most pasta doesn't even have an expiration date.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:35 AM
Don't tread on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiah View Post
I've eaten pasta that was 10 years old, and it tasted just like..... nothing, just like non-10-year-old-pasta tastes like. If it was stored in a cool, dry environment it would probably last for just about ever. It's probably why most pasta doesn't even have an expiration date.
Sorry, but I must disagree. How do you figure that wheat and eggs will last forever?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:05 AM
Get off my lawn!

Thanked 1,500 Times in 611 Posts

Probably because there is no moisture, heat, light, or oxygen
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electrdave For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 03:07 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobanderson View Post
Sorry, but I must disagree. How do you figure that wheat and eggs will last forever?
Eggs? What eggs? Unless you're talking about egg noodles, there are no eggs in pasta.

Even if there were eggs, powdered eggs have a shelf life of 20+ years.

As long as pasta stays dry, it is a very long term shelf life product. Bacteria have a pretty hard time living in a dry environment.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to messiah For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 04:53 AM
Getting There !!!!

Thanked 1,241 Times in 692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiah View Post
Eggs? What eggs? Unless you're talking about egg noodles, there are no eggs in pasta.

Even if there were eggs, powdered eggs have a shelf life of 20+ years.

As long as pasta stays dry, it is a very long term shelf life product. Bacteria have a pretty hard time living in a dry environment.
I was thinking the same thing eggs?
The Following User Says Thank You to lildrestl3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 AM

I typically vacuum seal my pasta. To help prevent crushing, for the *fancier* kind (like bowties), I'll open the end flaps of the box, flatten it a little & then vac-seal it. Most of the pasta I'm getting these days has an expiration somewhere in 2012 / 2013. So I figure if it's supposed to stay good for 2-3 years in the box, it can't hurt to seal it up and maybe get a little more life out of it. But then, we eat pasta - so I kinda' doubt I'll have to worry about it *expiring* or getting old.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 AM

I recently bought some pasta from a local LDS cannery store and it was sealed in a #10 can. They label it with a shelf life of 30 years packaged this way. I don't know that I would like to try it though.

If you have an LDS cannery near you I recommend it. You can buy in bulk and they will supply everything for you to can it.

WWW.providentliving.org

I am not an lds member.
The Following User Says Thank You to DukeST4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 26,670 Times in 8,020 Posts

I've got spaghetti in heavy-duty mylar, 6# to a bag (gallon bag). O2 absorbers only (don't need dessicant).

Early on, before I had a mill, I drew the same conclusion as you: this is a proximate way to store wheat, long-term, without needing a mill.

I've since bought the Country Living mill, and have since stored a lot of hard red and hard white wheat, but I still have something on the order of 60# of stored pasta--and I expect it to last up to 30 years.

I've stored a little bit of macaroni, as well, but the problem w/ curly pasta like macaroni or rotini or whatever is that it's got a ton of air space in it, and as such it's not a very efficient form to store "wheat." Spaghetti is the most efficient form.

Of course, once you have pasta, then you need sauce.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Target Shooter

It wasn't that long ago (25 years) I was stationed in Guam. It was normal practice for everyone that I knew. If one would think to cook store bought pasta, the first thing you did was fill a large bowl with water and submerge your pasta in it,,,swirl it around a bit, then skin the floating bugs off the top. Rinse again and cook! yummy,,,,,,,,,
The Following User Says Thank You to unknownsurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2010, 03:23 AM
Don't tread on me.

I stand corrected on the eggs thing, I do LOVE egg noodles.
Still, I think having a years worth and rotating is a good plan.
If you can pack it tight, and use O2 absorbers, might get a few extra years out of it.
Still a good idea to rotate always. Eat your supply and replace as you go.
10 years worth of pasta would be a hell of a lot for this household.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,262 Times in 2,997 Posts

I store lots of pasta and have done so for years. Yes it will get buggy after a while. If you plan to store, rotate pasta into your freezer a few days first, then storage shelves. That seems to work for us.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Prepared

I'm pretty much set on the idea that if SHTF, I'll be eating A TON of pasta and canned goods. I have something like 7-8 boxes of spaghetti saved so far. Along with some other canned goods and whatnot. I was gonna toss it all into rubbermaid bins.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeST4 View Post
I recently bought some pasta from a local LDS cannery store and it was sealed in a #10 can. They label it with a shelf life of 30 years packaged this way. I don't know that I would like to try it though.

If you have an LDS cannery near you I recommend it. You can buy in bulk and they will supply everything for you to can it.

WWW.providentliving.org

I am not an lds member.
Will the LDS cannery people just let you wake off the street and buy there goods?
Just wondering.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:42 PM
grease monkey

Thanked 2,332 Times in 988 Posts

Definitely ROTATE. It's the best way to keep a good storage. There are just too may variables. Build yourself up a nice food store, but be sure to use some occasionally. Then promptly replace it. Eat the oldest stuff first. You will soon find out how long it will last before it goes bad.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Target Shooter

This was addressed in another thread, I have not personally checked them out or called yet. It is up to the elder in charge of the local operation, so I would reccomend calling unless you happen to be nice and close.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:02 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
This was addressed in another thread, I have not personally checked them out or called yet. It is up to the elder in charge of the local operation, so I would reccomend calling unless you happen to be nice and close.
Thx Tigers, I didnt even think about searching it. How I have more reading to do.