Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 05-28-2008, 04:55 PM
I love this forum

Angry creative thievery

Advertise Here

i saw a news story this morning, not sure where this happened, a team of people drove a pickup truck with an large enclosed trailer behind. they parked over the diesel underground tank. there mustv'e been a hole cut out and a person inside the trailer pulled the cover, cut the lock if there was one, and they PUMPED 1000 GALLONS OF DIESEL into a tank on the trailer and then put the cover back on and drove away!!!!!

this kinda stuff is gonna start happening all over america!!!!

yahoo news ran a story about gas thieves drilling/punching holes in gas tanks. they are targeting SUVs cause they sit higher and have bigger tanks so look out!!!

Last edited by groberts76; 05-28-2008 at 05:15 PM..
Old 05-28-2008, 04:59 PM
The Punisher

Thanked 1,981 Times in 821 Posts

Let 'em come to my house, I need some more target practice.:D
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2008, 05:14 PM
I am His Willing Servant

Thanked 2,201 Times in 917 Posts

Thieves are at it in the midwest as well. People are stealing license plates, putting them on their car, going to gas stations to steal gas, and then driving off. So the cameras have your license plate. You get a warrant issued for your arrest shortly afterwards. Watch to make sure your plates are still there before you drive. Check both back and front plates (if your state requires front ones). If one is gone, immediately call the police station in your area (911 will work as well). If you report it, you will be ok.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4giv3n1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Darting from the shadows

Thanked 6,486 Times in 2,813 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Damn, thats seriously orginised!

And 4giv3n1, we had problems with that until the stations started charging prepay style, you go inside, pay for how much you want, then go back out and put it in your car, PITA!

At least when I pull up on the motorbike, they'll just release the pump so I can fill right up.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,021 Times in 3,311 Posts

I thought the topic would be politics when I read the title.
I have a skid plate over the tanks in my trucks.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:54 PM
I love this forum

i was thinking steel skid plates would be the way to protect from this. not all 4x4's have gas tank skid plates. aluminum wouldnt put up too much resistance to a drill bit.

a lot of stock skid plates dont totally cover the tank usually the corners are accesible.

then there is still syphoning, and fuel lines. on carbed vehicles, a cut fuel line and a battery powered in-line pump could do it, and on fuel injection cars you could theoretically hot wire the in tank pump and then cut a line and collect the liquid gold.
neither of those is very easy or fast, but it depends on how desperate people get.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:58 PM

When I first came to Minnesota I thought it was weird that you
pumped before you paid. I know in Washington they make you
pay first to stop drive off's. In Oregon you can't even pump
your own gas an attendant does it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alibi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Country Boy In The City..

Yeah we've had a lot of drive off and no pay here lately mainly with gas and beer. It's only a matter of time now before serious things start happening I'm sure gas is about $3.95 in the city right now but it's more expensive the further you go out into the country it seems it's going for around $4.25 a gallon. I've also heard in one close by town they are only charging $2.78 a gallon, I guess that's cost? I don't see how it's possible they way things are here but apparently they don't care or it's a temporary thing, it's been that way for about 2 weeks in that area so I'm not sure how much longer it will last.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:07 PM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 7,848 Times in 3,567 Posts

There have been only a few reports of gas thievery that have made the news here in Canada (that I've seen, anyway); I don't get the sense that it's bad yet. And although it pains me to do so, I have to agree with a portion of groberts post...as the value of petroleum goes up, it won't be long before enterprising criminal elements everywhere will find evermore creative ways to capitalize on the situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to 357revolverfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,021 Times in 3,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by groberts76 View Post
i was thinking steel skid plates would be the way to protect from this. not all 4x4's have gas tank skid plates. aluminum wouldnt put up too much resistance to a drill bit.
You need the off road hardened steel plates.
The serious plates cover the whole bottom of the tank.
I can see a small biz opportunity here.
Hardened steel replacement tanks.

Quote:
a lot of stock skid plates dont totally cover the tank usually the corners are accesible.
No and they are just thin sheet metal too.
I've punched them with screwdrivers before on East Coast transplant cars that the screws had rusted on.

Quote:
then there is still syphoning, and fuel lines. on carbed vehicles, a cut fuel line and a battery powered in-line pump could do it, and on fuel injection cars you could theoretically hot wire the in tank pump and then cut a line and collect the liquid gold.
neither of those is very easy or fast, but it depends on how desperate people get.
The newer cars(some) have anti siphon barriers in the necks.
Can't get a hose in.
The older Cali compliant ones have a restricter with a sheet metal flap that makes siphoning a bitch.
A really sensitive alarm will keep people from cutting and jerking around underneath too much ..... but who pays attention to their damn alarms anymore.
Criminals are lazy.
They'll pick the next vehicle that hasn't been hardened 9 out of 10.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 PM
school kid

since steel and metal prices are so high. people go and steel boat trailers while the boats are on the lake. most of the time they dont get caught because no ones there to point any fingers. they salvage the trailer and sell the metal. it pretty crazy. no where is ever safe.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,912 Times in 10,487 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

The yippies advocated the same type of phreaking back in the 70s during the last fuel crisis. I have a PDF with all kinds of funny and cool things they did to 'stick it to the man' before they all became 'the man'
Old 05-28-2008, 09:29 PM
The Punisher

Thanked 1,981 Times in 821 Posts

The thing I have heard here in Alaska is stealing boat gas. Since we have world class fishing and the summer is shorter than most, a lot of people have boats to get out on PWS, or Cook Inlet. When you're talking about a couple hundered gallons a shot, it adds up pretty quick. Boats are easier targets, sitting in the yard if you're at work and you don't have them in a slip.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibi View Post
When I first came to Minnesota I thought it was weird that you
pumped before you paid. I know in Washington they make you
pay first to stop drive off's. In Oregon you can't even pump
your own gas an attendant does it.
Welcome to Minnesota.....the people are usually nicer here....DD