Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,669 Times in 2,180 Posts

Advertise Here

I would never clean the shelf off, but I would dang sure buy a good bunch of it and if they still had more 2-3 days later I would buy another good size bunch of it. Once others have been given an oppertunity to cash in on the good deal too though, if your not going to take advantage of it then I most certianly will. I dont see where that would make me a greedy piece of ****.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Bleach blonde on fire :p

Thanked 9,452 Times in 3,793 Posts

Really yall are upset cause someone beat you to a sale?????

I buy with coupons...I get family members to print them for me cause the online sites only let you do 2-3 per item...I get the papers that are left at the end of the night that has coupons too. I buy what I can afford whether there is limits or not cause its my right to...family limits WTH...I have had no problems standing there in line and buying that number over and over and getting better deals with the coupons. I always check out in the garden center at our local wally world so Im usually the only out there so Im not holding anyone up and the cashiers out there are more likely to bypass the limits and keep em ringing...really they don't care how many one family gets as long as they make there money.

If you want the item then be there early...thats all there is to it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rncmomx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 08:50 PM

Well at my local grocery store I by-pass everybody and go straight to the Manger On duty, if for example they have a stated limit of 10 items and I want 40.

I simply say to him I am going to buy 40 of such and such at the sale price. Now if he wants to play hard ball I simply bring the wife, brother-in-law, and his wife and we all line up with our ten items each and pay for it. Walla 40 items.

If need be I will take it to the car place it in the trunk and walk back in for round two.... three.... four or how ever many times I need to to get my shopping amount.

Most times they simply walk over to the cashier and tell them "Ring him up".

Never had very much of a problem when starting out with the Manager, only with the stock boys or cashiers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tearmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniticFringeInc View Post
Wally World has limits on ammo 6 boxes to a customer even if it aint on sale, at least here in my local. I just come often and buy my limit or hit multiple locations on the way home.

Yeah I think all Walmart's have a limit of 6 boxes of ammo per person, per day, but a couple of weeks ago I was at my local walmart and was at the ammo counter and they did not have the sign posted, so I tell the manager that was running the counter that I wanted 20 boxes of the .223 that they had on sale, she said that there is a limit of 6, so I ask her where that is posted and she looked around and found no sign, and said that she can sell me 20 today but in the future it will be 6 at max, later on that day there was the sign posted. but at least I got my 20 boxes
The Following User Says Thank You to redneck1861 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Prepared

For the one's complaining about having to spend $20 or less to get a sale item quit whining grocery chains have done this for a long time. "Cherry Picking" is a term often used for people who would roll in there and buy something stupid cheap and walk out. The store makes zero this way and they would never offer good sales again doing that all the time. Not hard to get to $20 at any store these days anyways. Follow any stores sales plan and you will do well plus still get the good deals.

Canned goods rarely have a dollar limit before you get them cheap.

Yes call ahead or have management look for a lot of stock it's easier that way plus you get a nice cardboard case wrapped in plastic ready to be stacked with an average 12 cans each case.

Right now grocery chains will have canned soups and pastas on sale so watch the sale ads and shelves for CHEAP prices while you can get them.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm

Thanked 4,846 Times in 1,545 Posts

This in interesting folks. We don't have a lot of competition here so we don't see a lot of sales. In the summer I haul fruit 300 miles into our area to sell. Where I buy the fruit has six different chain stores. It's fun to go in and actually get a deal. Sometimes I can buy the fruit cheaper at the store than my wholesaler. I get some funny looks when I roll up with 3 cases of bananas, or 50 trays of blueberries.
I have a hard time not looking like the cat that ate the canary, because when I get it back here it is worth double what I paid.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Prepared

I used to work in product advertising. This is a legal phrase that safeguards a store selling at an advertised price when supply is limited. Shops typically only care that you buy...not how much you buy.

This is why "rain checks" were created.
The Following User Says Thank You to SofaGeorge For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,042 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsdc83 View Post
For the one's complaining about having to spend $20 or less to get a sale item quit whining grocery chains have done this for a long time. "Cherry Picking" is a term often used for people who would roll in there and buy something stupid cheap and walk out. The store makes zero this way and they would never offer good sales again doing that all the time. Not hard to get to $20 at any store these days anyways. Follow any stores sales plan and you will do well plus still get the good deals.
Should this say $20.00 or more not or less?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Prepared

In my location in NC there is Walmart, FoodLion, and local IGA type stores. If I drive 45 min north I have Lowes foods and Harris Teeter. The HT stores rock, coupons always doubled, sometimes tripled. They are a little more expensive but in my experience, they seem to have better quality control. Their coupon deals are limited to 20 coupons per day. They track with their VIC card that you have to scan to get the deal. Solution to this was to get multiple VIC cards for family members via online, just use a different one for each trip. It is frustrating to get to the store and have a sale item gone from the shelves, but HT also does rain checks
Old 03-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,728 Posts

I've seen some adds that say "limit 10 per customer" or "no dealers please" I've always believed it was more of a marketing/ sales tool implying the price was unbelievable they have a problem with other stores buying the product in bulk for resale ...which of course isn't true
Old 03-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Hiker

I dealt with this alot while working for Target for 4 years. People would come in and load up on cart fulls of soda when we had good sales. Usually they would have a gas station or they would stock soda machines. We had a self imposed limit of 1 cart load per customer per day. It was unfortunate that coporate wouldn't specify a limit, but they leave that to the manager on duty. Otherwise, we would have people nearly clean out our stockroom. It makes customers mad when they would come to the store to get the sale and we would be out the first day, they might leave without purchasing whatever else they came for.

For items like canned goods, tp or anything else, the manager might print a sign to put by the merchandise. If people wanted to buy alot of those we would decide whether we had enough in inventory to let other customers get some, if we would have been out, we would've given a limit at the register within reason, like 12 cans or something. People would generally understand and I don't think we ever had a problem at any of the 6 stores I worked at.
The Following User Says Thank You to JD1985 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,299 Posts

Back when I was in high-school (A few moons ago!), one of the larger chains, Canadian Tire, had 400 sheets of paper on sale for 50 cents. There was a limit of 4. I had picked up 16. I argued with the cashier telling her that I'm buying for different people. She could run them through as 4 different purchases or I could keep coming back in till I had all 16. She begrudgingly complied.

That stack of paper last me through the next couple of years of high school and my younger brother used the rest, throughout his 4 years. The little scoundrel never asked for it. I went in my old room at my folk's and realized that my stash was gone.

Oh well!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Prepared Firebird

Thanked 9,880 Times in 2,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniticFringeInc View Post
Now dont go hating on me cuase I beat you there (j/k).

Wally World has limits on ammo 6 boxes to a customer even if it aint on sale, at least here in my local. I just come often and buy my limit or hit multiple locations on the way home.

The way I see it, I am the cumstomer and if they dont want my business then I reserve the right to take it else where and often times I will ask them "which one of their competitors they prefer me to spend my money at". That really screws them up and leaves them confused.

I have a lot of years of retail selling experience, so I can see this problem from both sides. If I was faced with a customer who wanted to play the "I'll go to your competitor and shop" card as a ploy to let him/her buy every one of the sale item..........this would mean I would have to deal with 20 or 30 other angry customers who responded to the sale ad, early, and found nothing but empty shelves.

Let's see, now.......do I want to lose 30 customers just to please ONE (who will undoubtedly be back at every future sale to pull the same stunt). I don't think so. Have a nice trip over to the competing store (which is NOT selling that item at a sale price). LOL

Caving in to lame threats, like this, is not good business policy. If the sale item was something that was popular (which it usually is, to entice people into coming into the store to shop), I would not have a bit of trouble selling out and still observing the sale purchase limits.
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyFenix For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Prepared Firebird

Thanked 9,880 Times in 2,741 Posts

Something else that has not been mentioned in this debate is the rising cost of gasoline.

If gas is selling at $4.00 a gallon (or more) are you going to be happy to settle for a rain check (which means at least one more trip to the store, or maybe more than one trip if they are slow at restocking which many stores are)?? I bet you are not a happy camper with that one. Especially if you are pretty sure that the store ran out, because they let someone bulldoze them into buying ALL of that sale item.
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyFenix For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 01:55 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,413 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

At the Mennonite store where I get some things, she doesn't put a limit on how much you buy, but if I clean her out of something, I feel it's only polite to let her know that I've emptied the shelf, so that she knows to re-order it. (It's also a little self-serving...if it doesn't get re-ordered, then it won't be there the NEXT time I show up. If I let her know she needs more, then when I make my next "run", she usually has it back in stock.)
Old 03-02-2011, 02:53 PM

Default confused

I'm confused that so many people in this thread think it is their "right" to buy more than the limit. What are we thinking, people? When a person or persons run a business, they have the right to set their limits. we as the customer have the right to shop there or not, as we see fit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fred farkle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred farkle View Post
I'm confused that so many people in this thread think it is their "right" to buy more than the limit. What are we thinking, people? When a person or persons run a business, they have the right to set their limits. we as the customer have the right to shop there or not, as we see fit.
Thanks for saying that.As a business owner I can by law tell you to leave the store and not sell you anything.The business has the right to serve you or refuse your business.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paindian For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,096 Times in 4,524 Posts

That is a marketing ploy used everywhere from stores to infomercials. It makes a product look more desirable to the sheeple.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Hunter

alot of the time it is to keep a restaurant from buying everything out because its cheaper than their own supplier. I just hate when they put a very small limit (ie 4) on items.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,316 Times in 32,588 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFenix View Post

I have a lot of years of retail selling experience, so I can see this problem from both sides. If I was faced with a customer who wanted to play the "I'll go to your competitor and shop" card as a ploy to let him/her buy every one of the sale item..........this would mean I would have to deal with 20 or 30 other angry customers who responded to the sale ad, early, and found nothing but empty shelves.
When you have a customer like that, there's no pleasing them anyway. They will always be a thorn in your side later on too. I have no problem telling those folks to not let the door hit them on the way out. We have to look out for ourselves. If there's a limit, there's a reason. I may not like it, but I respect it because I understand the reason for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post: