Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Prepared

Default Alpha Rubicon

Advertise Here

Forgive me for asking this, but I'm relatively new to survivalist websites and I read through several articles on a site called Alpha Rubicon. They bill themselves as the "myth busters" of preparedness... and while the articles on some topics were exceptionally good... ALL of the articles in areas where I have working expertise were riddled with what I will describe as "poorly researched" information. (I'm not going to say "dead wrong factually" because then someone will ask me to produce an extensive list with citations. I've got 23 days to study till my PHD exam... and I don't have time to write that kind of a detailed post.) So I'd like to ask... factually... especially since several of their articles cover areas where I don't have expertise (in the areas where I'm a leading expert they were an embarrassment) - what is the general consensus of the accuracy of their information?
Old 12-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Stop being on my side!

Thanked 25,603 Times in 7,405 Posts

Good luck getting a general consensus on ANYTHING around here.

With that said, I've found some of their articles useful in terms of ideas, but usually end up doing further research elsewhere for technical details. It's been a while since I read much there, but there seems to be lot of opinion presented as fact.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old dude For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Prepared

"Opinion presented as fact" I think sums up my experience with their articles. Thx.
The Following User Says Thank You to SofaGeorge For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Stop being on my side!

Thanked 25,603 Times in 7,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaGeorge View Post
"Opinion presented as fact" I think sums up my experience with their articles. Thx.

Just remember, that's only my opinion.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,195 Times in 496 Posts

As an EX-Ruby I can truthfully say that "most" of their "routine mandatory member written articles" are based on their own personal experiences, i.e., they actually go out and physically build an expedient fallout shelter with incrimental photos to document the procedure or install a security system or any of thousands of projects. They have some number of professionals in several fields that share their knowledge and experience freely as well. They have occasional get togethers and campouts around the country which takes real dedication to self and others, something that isn't found at many places. The downside for me was the requirement to make X posts weekly and write articles routinely. It's fun to do it when you want to but kinda sucks when forced via expulsion. There are only a few longtime members that are really anal with an "A" types which kinda gets old but the vast majority of folks there are real quality of the highest order and dedicated to their pursuits. Actually, I believe the owner of AR is also quietly connected to this site as well.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Incoming For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 23,957 Times in 7,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incoming View Post
As an EX-Ruby I can truthfully say that "most" of their "routine mandatory member written articles" are based on their own personal experiences, i.e., they actually go out and physically build an expedient fallout shelter with incrimental photos to document the procedure or install a security system or any of thousands of projects. They have some number of professionals in several fields that share their knowledge and experience freely as well. They have occasional get togethers and campouts around the country which takes real dedication to self and others, something that isn't found at many places. The downside for me was the requirement to make X posts weekly and write articles routinely. It's fun to do it when you want to but kinda sucks when forced via expulsion. There are only a few longtime members that are really anal with an "A" types which kinda gets old but the vast majority of folks there are real quality of the highest order and dedicated to their pursuits. Actually, I believe the owner of AR is also quietly connected to this site as well.
Why are you an "ex" Rubie? Was it the participation requirements?

It sounds like an interesting place, and participating is not something I've had trouble with, but my job is such that there are times of more free time, and times where meetings and other requirements make regular participating problematic.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Prepared

Never heard of it before.

First impression, VERY totalitarian and elitist presentation.

Articles I looked at where I have background did not impress me much and IMHO better information is available a lot of places.

The whole "pay your dues and write your articles or we are gonna kick you out" thing is a HUGE exercise in comedy if you ask me.

What they are saying is "give us copywrite to your work and we will use it and in doing so and paying dues we will give you access to others persons whom did the same thing. Not really a bad idea right up until you think about the non-peer reviewed information being presented as something it might not be aka useful.

I will say that some of what I saw there is pretty much so worthless, however I am not going to get into an online debate about it so there is little reason to discuss them in detail.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NedReck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,195 Times in 496 Posts

Being retired military I'm pretty much done with others demands on my time. While I enjoyed Alpha Rubicon and the people there as a whole much more than any other forum I didn't care for the unnecessary pressure of the participation quota thing but I do understand their need for it. Probably the most impressive thing is their personal dedication and commitment to each other, a truly great bunch of quality folks. It's easy "and usual" for some here to set around in the Lazy Boy and talk talk talk about the great stuff they know or do but honestly that's some 90% BS and I think those with a brain understand that. Most here type but don't/won't do for any number of reasons/excuses - no participation quotas here - and it shows. I recall a weekend we shared on a small Oklahoma farm with 20 or so others from 3 surrounding states - (when was the last time anyone here got off their a$$ much less drive a couple hundred miles to do something with another Survivalist Board member). Most attendees were city folks with little-to-no hands on experience in working meat so we taught a meat processing class. The students shot two 350 lb hogs, drug them to gambles, ran em up the lines and commenced to lay hands and knives to pig. I really got a kick out of seeing some "city girls" with blood up to their arm pits cleaning out chest cavities. Needless to say 700 lbs of pig is a lot of learning but learn they did so then we did the same thing to a dozen "meat" roosters that were turkey size. A lot of cooking and cutting and wrapping and canning took place that weekend but real hands-on lessons learned go a long way in life. Like I said, personal dedication and commitment to others. When you can afford to give the best, give of yourself and that's pretty much what Alpha Rubicon does. Playing by their rules isn't a choice, it's a commitment.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Incoming For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2010, 01:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incoming View Post
i do not belive that Kev would allow that guy even near this site and why the reason behind that statement that site that you talk about the owner has been called out a few times on a few things that he has posted about socaled survive ideas and tactics and techingues post and he not that greatest type of person as it been found out by other peoples ..

there my be others who are great people there like you but the owner of that site along with the owners of the sites like th AR15.com and the Fugal Squrriel site ...they can be a little problematic for there people who post on there forums and who get on there bad side ..for i remember a few pictures of the guys who ran the site and we someone called him out about useing there pictures on his wedsite without there premisson if remember it right about 6 or 7 years ago ..

please do not take this as a attack on you personaly i just found them to be a little on the Aipha male type thinking instead of thinking and working as group togerther