Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-03-2010, 01:02 PM

Default Well water without power?

Advertise Here

I have a 230V 3/4 hp well pump and was wondering if I got a matching motor and wired them together could I spin the one in my basement causing the one in the well to spin hopefully getting water?

I was planning on getting and storing a 230 V 3000 kva inverter and car batteries but cost of that system is out of reach right now

There looks like a starting coil in the motor and a capacitor in a box connected to the pump would this even spin?

Some issues I see is being able to spin fast enough to get water up the 150ft of the well, maybe attached to a bicycle chain
Old 12-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,506 Times in 33,071 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Turning a motor to generate electricity only works with permanent magnet motors. The motors today get their magnetism from the electricity they receive and don't have permanent magnets in them. Plus, when you factor in startup current and system losses, you'd have a very hard job pedalling enough to generate the power required.

There are other options though. Such as a secondary manual pump installed in your casing. Perhaps a windmill system? You could also go solar but it would be costly.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,278 Times in 1,142 Posts

I'm not an electrican, but it won't work. Buy a generator large enough to handle it. Put in water storage so water well doesn't need to be run often.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meat Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 06:04 PM

Default Artesian well!

Get a place with an artesian well. My well pumps out 1.5-2 gallons per minutes, 24 hrs day, year round at 15 psi. There is no stopping that thing. I am looking at building a small spring house, that water is freaking cold...great place to keep food cool!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Molon Labe, Psalm 109:8

Thanked 2,448 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnorthsurvivor View Post
Get a place with an artesian well. My well pumps out 1.5-2 gallons per minutes, 24 hrs day, year round at 15 psi. There is no stopping that thing. I am looking at building a small spring house, that water is freaking cold...great place to keep food cool!
You are lucky.

Most people do not live near natural springs.

The answer for most people is a mechanical pump for emergencies and water storage.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,072 Times in 3,054 Posts

There are "buckets" made for drilled wells. Lehman's sells this one but you can make your own out of PVC.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Green Eggs and Spam

Thanked 7,425 Times in 1,922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueburn View Post
I have a 230V 3/4 hp well pump and was wondering if I got a matching motor and wired them together could I spin the one in my basement causing the one in the well to spin hopefully getting water? ...
I'm not 100% certain, but am confident, the answer is no.

As mentioned earlier, if the motor doesn't have permanent magnets then there will be a no-go.

This isn't all together a bad thing though. IF the turn motor is over built, the field winding voltage can be upped up a few notches. This will result in less RPM for the required voltage.

I only have a basic understanding of what you want to do. Be careful of any advice here that makes it seem simple.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Don't take the BLUE pill

A 3/4hp well pump at 230vt is equivalent to about 800 - 1000 watts... Start up probably 1/4 more. What you are asking sounds like a manual powered generator... The cheapest I have seen that would crank that much out (DC) is only 300Wt and then you have to convert it to AC and then to 230vt... You would be better off buying a battery bank that you can charge with that pedal power, that has a 230vt output. You are not going to be able to sustain anything with pedal power to keep the well pump running long enough to bring you anything. What you want can be done, but it is impracticle and not with another pump (it does not work like that in AC current) If you want something that can deliver water without grid power You should get a SImple Pump or a Bison. Both have deep well pumps that can deliver 2+ Gall per min and are easy to install inline with your current electric well pump. If you want to be able to operate the pump from inside the home, you have some options, but you can install a Solar motor on the Simple Pump (which is a DC motor) and then power it with a battery from the inside or if you wanted Via pedal power. Getting the water from the Manual pump to the house can be done either with plumbing or a pitless adapter.

-Neo
Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Target Shooter

A horsepower is equal to 745.7 watts. It would be difficult however for a horse to sustain that amount of output over a long period of time.

For humans, we can produce short bursts of up to 1500 watts using something like a human powered generator (a motor with bicycle pedals attached). That’s the equivalent to about 2 horsepower for a very short duration (less than a minute?). Humans can’t sustain that speed. It is far more likely that we’d drop down to about 200 watts or even less than 100 watts for a very long period (more than a few hours).

Human Power is roughly equal to 0.1 horsepower over a sustained period. It’s estimated that just by walking, we could harvest 67 watts of energy.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Fire Fighter

Thanked 1,348 Times in 517 Posts

Your best bet would be to get a 3500 watt min generator to run it. If it is a full time deal you could invest into a 12/24 volt DC well pump but I think your talking about getting water during a power outage only? Mark
Old 12-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,072 Times in 3,054 Posts

A co-worker of mine has one of these solar powered well pumps for his cattle. Three years so far with no problems.
http://www.solarpumps.com/products.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Pangea For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 11:53 PM
GTFO 12'

Thanked 1,222 Times in 532 Posts

A bucket and a pulley.

Just like the olden days.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnorthsurvivor View Post
You are very lucky to have an artesian well. There are a few homes around here that have them, one guy is supplying water to 4 other nearby homes from his, 5 counting his house, and they all have strong water pressure without the use of any pumps.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
A co-worker of mine has one of these solar powered well pumps for his cattle. Three years so far with no problems.
http://www.solarpumps.com/products.html
The solar pumps look great but won't reliably pressurize a system for what I guess is a pretty deep well (Unless he was sold an oversized 3/4 hp motor). A solar pump that slowly fills a reservoir tank which has a DC pump attached to pressurize the house sysytem would be the way to go. I don't think you could run the DC pump directly off of pedal power but you could pedal to charge some batteries which would then power the DC pump.
The easiest route would be to purchase a small generator to run the well pump as well as enough fuel to last a while.
I struggled with this exact issue and finally went with a 13kW generac and a thousand gallon propane tank. Bulky but it works (as long as the propane holds out).
Old 12-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,575 Times in 4,502 Posts

Depending on how deep the well is , in my opinion, I'd set up a hand pump.
Had one living in the mountains . a good foot valve and deep shaft pump,w/ mmultiple check valves , water would be delivered manually and fill anything you have to put water in , preferably over head in the attic and gravity feed the whole house . I've done it that way for years .