Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-02-2010, 08:10 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,658 Times in 1,406 Posts
Default Greenhouse made from Plastic 2 Liter Bottles

Advertise Here

I have no idea if this really works, or not....

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009...greenhouse.php

Here is one way of making one...

http://www.reapscotland.org.uk/repor...house%20v1.pdf

According to this guy.... it really works! Check out his photo slides...

http://www.squidoo.com/plasticbottlegreenhouse
Old 12-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,816 Times in 2,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Testing View Post
I have no idea if this really works, or not....

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009...greenhouse.php

Here is one way of making one...

http://www.reapscotland.org.uk/repor...house%20v1.pdf

According to this guy.... it really works! Check out his photo slides...

http://www.squidoo.com/plasticbottlegreenhouse
This the kind of stuff I hang around here for, thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Listen to Johnny Cash

Thanked 2,615 Times in 953 Posts

This would totally work. I would add a trombe wall in it as well. Construct the north wall with intact bottles filled with water stacked horizontally and painted black. The sun will heat up that wall and the water will retain the heat through the night. The detailing wouldn't be too hard for a tight structure. I've put trombe walls in buildings with great success.

Great post!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to britzen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2010, 09:12 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,881 Times in 2,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by britzen View Post
This would totally work. I would add a trombe wall in it as well. Construct the north wall with intact bottles filled with water stacked horizontally and painted black. The sun will heat up that wall and the water will retain the heat through the night. The detailing wouldn't be too hard for a tight structure. I've put trombe walls in buildings with great success.

Great post!
This is a great idea but wouldn't it be pretty heavy?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Listen to Johnny Cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
This is a great idea but wouldn't it be pretty heavy?
Yes, its heavy- that's the point, but its on the ground or slab, its the mass thats retaining the suns energy. Construct a wood "rack" to hold the filled bottles. You also don't have to fill every bottle (it may get too warm in some climates).
Another idea would be to have a few selected empties that you can pop out of the wall to increase, decrease ventilation as needed.
I've built walls with 55 gal. filled drums in them on slabs, no problem. You adjust the structure accordingly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to britzen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2010, 09:23 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,881 Times in 2,729 Posts

Quote:
Yes, its heavy- that's the point, but its on the ground or slab, its the mass thats retaining the suns energy. Construct a wood "rack" to hold the filled bottles. You also don't have to fill every bottle (it may get too warm in some climates).
Another idea would be to have a few selected empties that you can pop out of the wall to increase, decrease ventilation as needed.
I've built walls with 55 gal. filled drums in them on slabs, no problem. You adjust the structure accordingly.
Sweet, I was thinking it was on a floor not a slab.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Listen to Johnny Cash

Well, you could have it on a floor or wide stand (not legs, that would increase the point load) if you limited it to around 200lbs-250lbs. Say-50 bottles running approx 4lbs ea. stacked 3 wide would use a similar load as a human/per s.f. That would be acceptable for most decent framing. (Im thinking of the piano leg collapsing through the White House floor when Harry Truman played it right now
Old 12-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm

Thanked 4,829 Times in 1,545 Posts

This looks like it would take a tremendous amount of time to build. Plastic sheeting is pretty cheap, and doesn't leak air like this contraption will.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crankyfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,658 Times in 1,406 Posts

I think you are supposed to wrap plastic over it, once it's built. The bottles act as a layer of insulation during cold nights. Plus this adds stability to the structure. Just my guess.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Google Duckweed!!!

Thanked 1,640 Times in 639 Posts
Default My plans...

Are to have some 55 gallon blue water barrels painted black with PVC pipe run to containers for veggies. And run solar heated water through the PVC which is buried in the soil near the plants to warm them. Also, some kind of top cover at night to keep some heat in.

Sierra Dave
Old 01-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Custom User Title Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Testing View Post
I think you are supposed to wrap plastic over it, once it's built. The bottles act as a layer of insulation during cold nights. Plus this adds stability to the structure. Just my guess.
Yes, plastic sheeting might be easier. I believe the point of using the bottles is to use recycled/re-purposed materials.

I don't see why you would need to cover this with plastic afterward, maybe in really cold climates. But for most applications I think this would be insulated enough as is. Now I just need to figure out how many bottles I need for the 12x20 greenhouse the wife and I want to construct...3000 or so?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,722 Times in 2,992 Posts

I can make a greenhouse out of bacon but just because I can doesn't mean that I should.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pangea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,365 Times in 2,708 Posts

Quote:

Great post!

wouldnt the bottom bottles get crushed if all of the bottle are filled with water?

it might take more bottles but could you not lay them on their sides with the bottom faceing out and the mouth faceing in? that way you dont need to paint anything and the mass of the northern wall would be much bigger?
Old 01-09-2011, 02:34 PM
shottist. Brit spelling.

Thanked 7,124 Times in 3,673 Posts

I considered a trombe wall with bottles full of Glauber's salt solution cast into concrete and painted black. May still try that this spring, because the salt will actually hold heat better than the sheer concrete mass....
Old 01-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Titleless

Thanked 1,205 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camsoup View Post
Yes, plastic sheeting might be easier. I believe the point of using the bottles is to use recycled/re-purposed materials.

I don't see why you would need to cover this with plastic afterward, maybe in really cold climates. But for most applications I think this would be insulated enough as is. Now I just need to figure out how many bottles I need for the 12x20 greenhouse the wife and I want to construct...3000 or so?
4,200 +/-. That is at 6 per square foot, derived from the square footage of the original greenhouse design divided into 1500 bottles used, then multiplied times the square footage of your design. To prevent sag, at least for the 7.5 foot roof span (peak to eave) I would recommend the cane construction.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:32 PM
ERROR_SUCCESS

i did this last spring and it works but the bottles get brittle and start breaking from i guess UV radiation...lasted the spring/summer but i had to take all the bottles down and throw them away about july. i didnt ask my 'bottle donor' to save her bottles and i couldnt get the greenhouse fixed for winter........it is a lot of work also. i think i will stick to plastic sheeting next spring.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 709hannah For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Prepared

This is a pretty awesome idea! I was pretty much sold on giving it a try until I read 709hannah's post...
Old 01-16-2011, 04:16 PM
shottist. Brit spelling.

Thanked 7,124 Times in 3,673 Posts

Prime enemy of that kind of plastic is a combination of UV light and temperature change. If you can keep 'em out of the sunshine, it helps a lot for their longevity. Put up full of salt solution to hold heat inside a black box, they will last for a long time. If you are willing to rebuild each season, it is a valid way to do business.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post: