Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-30-2010, 09:20 PM

Default How to store water in car in freezing temps?

Advertise Here

Long time listener, first time caller.

I'm packing my winter ditch/accident bag to keep in my car for the season.

I drive around a lot in flip flops, so I'm packing some wool socks and a pair of old hiking shoes, hand/foot warmers, wool blanket, sweater, hat, gloves, first aid kit, small gun, knife, paracord, mask, etc...

I'd like to keep some water in the trunk along with the bag... what would you do to keep containers from bursting?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Hiker

open in and pour out some water squeeze it a little and seal it. It will still freeze but not burst. Juice bag type pouches of water (or juice) don't burst either, you just have to sit on them a while to get them to melt (kind of like hatching an egg
Old 11-30-2010, 09:31 PM

I feel like this is a dumb question, but will regular bottled water burst? I'd like it to have a long shelf life..
Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Hiker

you want a bottle that will allow water to expand as it freezes. screw cap bottles are the best! they keep water fresh the longest. the bottles with rip off caps are only good for 6 months at best. with the screw cap bottle you can open it up and take a cup of water out and drink it. then close the bottle and it should be ok if it ever freezes.
The Following User Says Thank You to caridad For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2010, 09:53 PM

Cool. I always rotate the bag in and out with the seasons to refresh things, so some clean water shouldn't be an issue. Thanks guys.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,141 Posts

In the summer, we freeze the disposable water bottles. They provide sips of cold water for hrs. Just keep bottles upright. I don't recall of a bottle splitting open.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 21,684 Times in 6,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Guy View Post
In the summer, we freeze the disposable water bottles. They provide sips of cold water for hrs. Just keep bottles upright. I don't recall of a bottle splitting open.
Take that one step further just in case (I have had the same experience--I've never had one burst, and I keep the odd bottle or two in my car in the winter here in Wisconsin, they have never burst).

Get a ziplock back or some sort of otherwise waterproof container and store them in that. This way, if you ever do have a burst, it's contained.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Organ Donor

Don't store water, store a sports drink like Gatoraid.

I keep Gatoraid in all my vechicles and so far it has not frozen even when I leave them
out side all night with temps in the tens.

Not only is it a source of fluids it is also a source of calories, something you will need if you are stuck in your car in a blizzard.
Your will need the electrolytes as well if you will be on foot.

McLOVIN
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McLovin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2010, 07:59 AM
drive a stake thru Islam

Thanked 1,202 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Don't store water, store a sports drink like Gatoraid.

I keep Gatoraid in all my vechicles and so far it has not frozen even when I leave them
out side all night with temps in the tens.

Not only is it a source of fluids it is also a source of calories, something you will need if you are stuck in your car in a blizzard.
Your will need the electrolytes as well if you will be on foot.

McLOVIN
so just how cold does it get in Hawaii
The Following User Says Thank You to scrappy1343 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Hiker

I always keep a case of water in my car all year long and have never had a bottle burst. My car sits outside in michigan weather. often the water will not freeze until it gets well below zero for extended periods, and even when the outer bottles freeze, some of the inner bottle will remain liquid until opened, and then they will turn to slush.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Guy View Post
I actually use frozen bottles as ice packs in my cooler and 2 gallon water jug. Works pretty well. As long as you take a drink out them before they freeze there shouldn't be any leaking issues due to freezing.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 AM

Before Y2K, I bought a dozen of these and carried them in the tool box of my truck for 7 years. Been through many Western PA winters and froze solid often. Never had one leak or burst. Still use them to carry water to the chickens everyday - been out in the weather/sunlight and still only have had 1 spring a leak (after I stepped on it!) I got the ones without the spigot.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...2689&catid=816
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 AM

Store you water bottles in a cooler (ice chest) they wont freeze at all in there.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Y2K Veteran

While Gatorade has a little resistance to freezing, it will freeze in the bed of a truck overnight in 22 degree temps. Personal experience.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Organ Donor

>so just how cold does it get in Hawaii

I am in WV. HI is what I used for my fake ID. OSPEC.

McLOVIN
Old 12-01-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJAnderson View Post
Long time listener, first time caller.

I'm packing my winter ditch/accident bag to keep in my car for the season.

I drive around a lot in flip flops, so I'm packing some wool socks and a pair of old hiking shoes, hand/foot warmers, wool blanket, sweater, hat, gloves, first aid kit, small gun, knife, paracord, mask, etc...

I'd like to keep some water in the trunk along with the bag... what would you do to keep containers from bursting?
Aaron Getting stuck in the car in winter is what got me on the road to being prepared for things to happen in life. Long story short. A local man (SW Virginia man) was trapped in his car for 3 days after going over an embankment on a snowy night. He was trapped in his seat by the steering wheel. My reason for chiming in is i always keep my car bag in reach of the driver's seat that way if this happens to me i can get to it. I also think if you dont you might want to add food to your kit. something you could eat out of the package needing no prep or heat. Funny note to this story he burned the pages out of his first aid text book to stay warm.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:49 AM
drive a stake thru Islam

Thanked 1,202 Times in 466 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
>so just how cold does it get in Hawaii

I am in WV. HI is what I used for my fake ID. OSPEC.

McLOVIN
NICE!!, lol
Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Pull up your Dora panties

Thanked 16,116 Times in 4,427 Posts

living in florida i have never thought of this concern, thanx for the thread. i do store
16oz water bottles in my freezer to take with me when i go out for the day. they have never burst on me. they do become misshapen when the bottom pops out, so you cant set one down and expect it to stay up right, but that is what i would(and do ,come to think of it) in my BOB and vehicle
Old 12-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Trapper

Add some Prestone Anti-freeze!

I use the military two-quart bladder canteens. Just don't fill them completely.

I've also store water bottles in one of those styrofoam ice chests with excellent results.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,167 Times in 605 Posts

I only carry a couple of quarts in my bag and take it inside with me. If I want frozen water, I'll melt snow.