Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-29-2010, 05:23 PM

Default Homemade fire proof safe??

Advertise Here

Anyone find a good way to do this? What if you made a masonry box, added your items, then filled it with sand? I just can't afford a big safe, and would hate to see most of my preparations burn up if there was a fire. I have searched but can't find anything much, yet.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 PM

Normal brick and masonry products can spall, crack and otherwise breakdown under high temperatures. Your best bet would be "insulating firebrick" sold by refractory companies and maybe fireplace stores. Use high temperature mortar for the joints. If you can find some ceramic fiber board, it will take high temperatures and is very light weight.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZootFenster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2010, 12:21 PM

Default diy safes

safes are designed to combat fire in two ways- limit oxygen source and provide a source of water vapor when heated .This is done by a tight fitting container and a filling liner compound that is hydrated .
There are examples of piles of potatoes covering paper money that were in a fire and all that resulted was a pile of baked potatoes and unharmed cash.
The Following User Says Thank You to exspooky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Just Country Folk

Vermiculite you know the garden supply stuff? Vermiculite is light and makes a good fire insulation in a double walled enclosure. It is used in the first rocket stoves and homemade version of said stove. The inside wall of your vault could be the ceramic fiber board. Sheet rock is fire proof too but the paper on the outside is not as fire proof and it gets real hot so it is not an insulation. A air tight container will keep a fire from burning, but will not keep from charring or cooking items so insulate well.
F.G.
The Following User Says Thank You to FarmGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Getting There !!!!

Thanked 1,238 Times in 691 Posts

Fireproof Drywall That what my safe is lined with about 2 inches all around. 600 bucks weights 500 lbs empty and bolted down with a closet built around it...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00034.jpg   DSC00035.JPG  
Old 12-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Don't take the BLUE pill

How big do you need? Fire safes are not that expensive until you move up into storing rifles and even then I have seen some pretty good buys lately under $400 here is one a decent size for $130 bucks... Potatoes are pretty cheap too I guess.. till they start rotting.. Sand? I suppose you are not securing guns.. you can also get a 4" PVC Pipe with two screw ends and bury it outside. I think I would do that before the sand thing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/firesaf...ock-97570.html

-Neo
Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. That gives me a good amount to work with. I do plan to get a big fire resistant gun safe but can't afford it yet. I wanted to build something else to get me by for now and also to use later for non-gun items. For now I'd keep ammo, water purifier, med kits, ect... Maybe a gun or two.
I do wana try the PVC bury-able cache, but the frost line is about 42" be me, so that would be quite a hole. Thanks again for the input!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Prepared

also 4 layers of 5/8" (I think) fire-rated sheetrock will get you 2-hours burn-through.. 2-cents..
The Following User Says Thank You to ConservaBill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,213 Times in 728 Posts

How about if you build a hidey-tube from 6 inch wide PVC, and hide some of the smaller preps underground away from a possibly-burning house? Make several tubes, and some can hold canned goods.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:25 AM

I made my own safe at home. Poured a concrete box in the basement 5' high by 2' deep, 32" wide. Before pouring I drilled holes in concrete floor and walls and drove in sections of re-bar so it is tied in pretty good. My walls of the safe are 4" thick. Door is 1/2" plate steel with 4" of concrete.

I have no idea if it is firesafe or not.
Kev
<><
The Following User Says Thank You to mainehunt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2010, 02:46 PM
practiceandtrain.webs.com

These are some good ideas. My advise is to try them out. If they are cheap enough to make....them burn or bury one to see how well it holds up.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Prepared

A few points to ponder.

I am a Custom Builder specializing in AAC (Autoclaved Aerated Concrete) or Hebel Block as it is known in Germany and over seas. It is precast, reinforced or non reinforced. It is aerated during te manufacturing process by injecting Aluminum sulfate into the ad mixture, which reacts with the Lime, causing the cake to rise similar to bread rising. Then it is cured in an autoclave. The result is concrete consisting of aprox 70% air. It holds a UL listing of 1 hor per inch (max UL will give). It will not burn. And also provides excellent insulation values (very high thermal mass), like building under ground.
http://www.xella-usa.com/html/us/en/...ifications.php

All that being said. Moisture in standard concrete is the enemy. when exposed to extreme temperatures, standard concrete will splatter, or really, the moisture content within the concrete will super heat and turn to steam, expanding, and exploding bits of concrete from the surface, and causing the concrete to become brittle and loose its strength. Also, moisture = mold and mildew and other issues for the contents of the structure.

We typically build "Safe Houses". And routinely build a bedroom or closet with a fully enclosed, walls, roof etc out of AAC, providing a safe room within the safe house. We will use a CIP (cast in place) steel fire rated door, ventilation to the outside etc.

For the inexpensive option: Try metal studs. Fire rated drywall, multiple layers, both sides. DO Not forget the ceiling. As posters mentioned, fire needs three things, think the fire triangle. Heat - Fuel - Oxygen. Building fires generate alot of heat. Think Layers of protection. Like a box within a box within a box within a box. Test containers on the grill, or in a camp fire.
Hope this helps some.
Jessee
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jessee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 03:11 PM

Intumescent paint might be helpful

http://noburn.com/

Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 PM

Look in Craigslist. I have several old safes that are fireproof and built nuclear. I frequently find them for less than $100 because people want them moved out.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 PM
The Lord's Servant

Thanked 1,769 Times in 650 Posts

I saw an article the other day (don't remember where) but someone made an old refrigerator into a gun safe. He gutted it, glue carpet on the sides, top and bottom and put dows in it to hold the guns in. It didn't turn out too bad and it's fireproof and if someone were to break in, I think most robbers wouldn't think of looking in the "frig."
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeKan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,623 Times in 2,335 Posts

fire brick on the outside of a concrete, be it cast block or solid concrete room/closet you can hang rockwool between the firebrick and concrete and or have an air gap which will be an insulation barrier. create a chimney effect allowing the hot air expel upwards. look at any brick oven and reverse its build. for the door make sure you have fire and heat proof seals. again you want to double layer and outer and inner door. what happens is as heat is applied the seal on the door will expand. .
Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,623 Times in 2,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
I saw an article the other day (don't remember where) but someone made an old refrigerator into a gun safe. He gutted it, glue carpet on the sides, top and bottom and put dows in it to hold the guns in. It didn't turn out too bad and it's fireproof and if someone were to break in, I think most robbers wouldn't think of looking in the "frig."
actually fridges are one of the first places robbers look. they grab a beer or some quick food while they are robbing you. btw fridges dont offer much in the way of insulation when it comes to heat. the seals will quickly melt.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:20 AM

Just going to point out, there is no true firesafe product out there. Even on the best quality safes, they are rated to withstand a certain amount of heat for a certain period of time(usually 20 to 30 minutes of time at that heat.) I know of a business that sells said safes and it had burnt down and due to certain products being in a fire inside the building the fire department had to stand down and let the fire burn. Very little survived the fire and what did was still burnt rather crispy. As far as people suggesting concrete/masonry, depending on your climate this could be bad depending on what you are going to store. In my humid climate, a place in the basement poured is not idea for storing such things as guns unless you have a dehumidifier to go along with it or else will ruin your firearms over time.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:45 PM
The Lord's Servant

Thanked 1,769 Times in 650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Will_Survive View Post
actually fridges are one of the first places robbers look. they grab a beer or some quick food while they are robbing you. btw fridges dont offer much in the way of insulation when it comes to heat. the seals will quickly melt.
Seriously???
Old 08-25-2013, 06:21 AM
It is what it is

Concrete backer board, (Harding plank maybe), rock wool insulation, metal studs and a simple steel gun locker, for the safe. Now to store items you don't need access to everyday, regular brick and motor and a whole lotta sand. Build a box out of brick in layers put items in it and fill with the sand leaving at least 6- 8 inches from the edges. In case of fire in a shtf scenario you'll probably loose you house, the items in the sand should be just fine... In theory...