Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 11-25-2010, 08:33 PM
I love this forum

Default Fire Escape Ladder and extinguisher

Advertise Here

Who has a fire escape ladder for their bed room? How much time do I have to get out in a wood house before im SOL?

What should I Look for in a throw out the window fire escape ladder from the second floor? Im around 240 and am worried the window sill will crack.

What should I look for in a fire extinguisher and where should I keep them in my house? Have a mini in the kitchen. Maybe a sizeable one up stairs in my room?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuri View Post
Who has a fire escape ladder for their bed room? How much time do I have to get out in a wood house before im SOL?

What should I Look for in a throw out the window fire escape ladder from the second floor? Im around 240 and am worried the window sill will crack.

What should I look for in a fire extinguisher and where should I keep them in my house? Have a mini in the kitchen. Maybe a sizeable one up stairs in my room?
I have a Res-Q-Ladder designed to a two story building. I have not used it yet. You can see the specs on it here http://www.fireescapesystems.com/res...p?categoryid=1

For home you should have an ABC type fire extinguisher on each floor. I would think the larger one should be kept where there is more likely to be a fire started. For me, that would be the kitchen.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Feuer Frei!

Thanked 1,394 Times in 755 Posts

I'm on the top level of my apt (3rd story), but I do have a deck. I made a emergency rope with knots all the way down, then a 1.5" bar at the end that I can wedge in the railings of the deck.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Prepared

I used to live in a second story place. I kept an extra tow strap by the window with a piece of rope to tie it to a door knob. The only plan I had for the dog is to tie him in a sheet and lower him down if I have time. the place had previously (several years ago) had a fire that had killed several people who could not escape the locked iron gate! I kept my keys (and my knife) on me always.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:50 PM

I keep a ladder under the bed for emergency use...i think it's a First Alert, don't remember the specs, though. More important then fire extinguishers if you are asleep is the need for smoke detectors to alert you. Most are killed by smoke, not flames. The multi-purpose dry chemical is sound advice, but they don't discharge for a long time; you "have to make your shot count".
Old 11-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Who is John Galt?

If you are going to use those rope/chain ladders you should try them before you really need them they are much harder to navigate then you would think.
The Following User Says Thank You to davyj0427 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Target Shooter

Definitely practice with whatever ladder/escape system you are going to use. Don't forget the old adage "you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training".

Same goes for fire extinguishers. Most folks that have them have never use them. They either struggle with pulling the safety pins out, or are so shocked by them going off that they drop them. Also, it should be practiced on real fire. Most folks only direct the stream at the flames, when they should be spraying the object on fire. Also, it should be moved back and forth with advancement. Just spraying in one spots wastes what will turn out to be a VERY finite resource.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:26 PM
What would Mal do

Thanked 4,680 Times in 1,660 Posts

yep...those ladders are a lot of fun..you really should practice with it... have an older all metal/chain one..and keep 2 fire exts next to the bed...enough to try and fight my way out of the house....smoke detectors and one of them is tied into the home alarm so it'll call fire automatically for us.

bug bag in the bedroom next to the dressor on the way out the door...if the house is dark and smoke filled I can still grab it blind and run out.

We're also fortunate in that our master bathroom window sits over top the roof line for our front porch so we can make it out that window and then it's not as bad a drop to the ground...I can make the drop without a broken bone and then be there to help the wife get down.

so yes...

#1) smoke detectors
#2) bug bag
#3) good fire extinguishers
#4) ladder if needed
#5) practice..drill...close your eyes and navigate your way out..this includes being able to unlock the front door or knowing that a dining room chair will make a hole in your window for you to escape...have a plan..have a backup plan...have a flexible set of options...
Old 11-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Prepared

Ok the ladders can be hard to use one should practice before the house is in flames to see if you want to go that way.

Keep in mind a second floor window is not that high an adult or teenager can hang from the sill and have their feet about 5 foot off the ground so its an easy safe drop.

In over 20 years of working in a pretty busy city (fire wise) I've been to hundreds of fires,"people trapped" is pretty rare and in 20 years i've been to just shy of 20 fatals.Just some back ground.

Me i don't have one of those ladders and I'm not sure I know any FF who do.

If you can get on a lower roof, I'd just hang and drop .
Old 11-30-2010, 09:35 PM

Not doubting your experience but I sure know my 2nd story is pretty damn high off the ground! Though I live in a pretty big old house. I really have been meaning to purchase one of these ladders, my parents have one. The rope doesn't seem like a bad idea in its place (if you're physically capable), IF you can't get out the normal way. Hehe, maybe this is the stimulus for me to buy some climbing equipment...
Old 12-14-2010, 12:13 AM
I love this forum

What makes using one of these hard? I dont have an area to drop down on and its a 17 foot drop. Would the First Alert, Kiddie, Res Q ladder, ____ be the strongest and safest to use?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:53 AM
Smart Azz

Bust out the window and jump with your mattress and run. Poormans fire escape.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:21 AM
What would Mal do

Thanked 4,680 Times in 1,660 Posts

kingsize extra thick mattress..hard enough to wrestle it on a regular flip/rotate...not gonna fit out my window...but again.. I challenge all the guys who have their shotguns and pistols all proudly stationed on the night stand ready to meet the bad guys bumping in the night..that I bet most of those guys don't have a fire extinguisher there ready to fight.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,675 Times in 4,075 Posts
Default good advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by octotat View Post
Definitely practice with whatever ladder/escape system you are going to use. Don't forget the old adage "you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training".

Same goes for fire extinguishers. Most folks that have them have never use them. They either struggle with pulling the safety pins out, or are so shocked by them going off that they drop them. Also, it should be practiced on real fire. Most folks only direct the stream at the flames, when they should be spraying the object on fire. Also, it should be moved back and forth with advancement. Just spraying in one spots wastes what will turn out to be a VERY finite resource.
But don't test the fire extinguisher you hope to use . Once you discharge a little powder it will leak down and be useless.
Also I might add ,
Have an extinguisher in your bed room . Chances are the room in flames will prevent you from getting to the extinguisher closest to the fire . If ther are others in the house ,make loud noises and wake every one up . have you own fire drills especially for the children . If they are told that they should leave the house they should be letting you know before they go .
If the kids are older and are capable of fallowing instruction with a fire extinguisher , one should be in their rooms as well.
Plan and practice ,never asssume.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:02 AM

I would add that fire blankets have a great advantage in that they have no expiry date and are v handy for pan and small fires.

I wouldn't keep any fire extinguishers that are 'water'... too much at risk from someone trying to use on an oil or electrical fire. Mine in my flat are all powder for that very reason (the longer expiry date is handy but they can still lose potency way before their due date).

Also, outside the back door is a large bucket of sand. Old skool but it will never expire!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Prepared

I wanted to make a suggestion for smoke detectors...I have a four level house (basement, main, second, and walk-up attic). I recently purchased a set of wirelessly interconnected smoke detectors and mounted one on each level. Any activation causes all detectors to sound, so if I'm in the second floor bedroom and a fire breaks out two floors below in the basement, I get almost instant notification which is critical because smoke and heat rise, and result in more fatalities than burns do.

You can also sleep with your bedroom doors closed, but if you do you need a detector in your bedroom in the event that the fire originates in there.

Over 20 years in the fire service and honored to have served my community.