Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 11-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Default What size steel for a bullet proof room?

Advertise Here

If there was an all of a sudden situation, gun fire broke out and you had to defend your house. Your family needs a place to hide, what thickness of metal plate could you use to line a closet or safe room for them to get in while the shooting went on and bullets were flying? I know there are 50 BMG's and armor piercing rounds that can go threw a lot but just for your normal loads? 223 hollow points, and large caliber typical rounds that most normal citizens would have, and pistol ammo?
Old 11-21-2010, 09:35 PM

1/4 inch thick crome moly
Old 11-21-2010, 09:50 PM

10-4, i'll start getting prices on it.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Off-roadie

put them in a bathtub with a shotgun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spudgunsniper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 PM

I have the cheap fiberglass tubs.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,408 Posts

What you really need is armor plate, typically used for rifle steel targets.

The thickness of the steel does make a difference, but the quality/hardness is the important part. You can do really thick "construction grade" steel (3/4" thick) or half that thickness (and weight!) with rifle plate.

My Mosin M-44 will tear through typical construction grade 3/8" steel plate like a hot knife through butter. 5.56 ball almost gets through, M-855 penetrator rounds would probably go through it.

Look in the yellow pages for steel fabrication shops, suppliers, scrapyards, etc. and ask if they have any AR500 or AR400 steel plate. 3/8" thick will stop pretty much anything short of armor-piercing rifle rounds, including .308, .30-06 and 7.62x54R

I have been down this road before. It will run you $900-$1,200 for a 4x8 sheet of the stuff. And a 4x8 sheet probably weighs over 500 pounds so you need a way to transport and work with it.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mortimer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Veritas Aequitas

Thanked 3,072 Times in 1,018 Posts

Is this a serious question? I guess it depends on the situation, but this doesn't sound like your run of the mill home invasion. You are talking about people blindly spraying bullets in to your home?! Anybody that wants you dead that bad will just burn the house. Holing up in one room is tactical suicide....get out of the house ASAP and MOVE.

Now, if we are talking about a burglary or similar home invasion then there is something to be said for having a safe room, locking solid core door, sitting tight and calling the cops. It wouldn't require steel walls though...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skyjump136 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,180 Posts

If I were going to do the safe room thing Id use something other or in conjuction with metal. http://www.armorcore.com/products.html
Old 11-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Off-roadie

better bet is a trap door to a crawl space with a way out. cheaper too
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spudgunsniper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2010, 11:21 PM

I personally would go alot thicker then 1/4 inch. unless you angled it inward.. Me personally if i were to put up armored "barrier" i would go with nothing thinner then 1 inch, and angled inward, because from my exp in the Army there are rounds that can cut through 3/4inch easy. just my 2 cents.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:24 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts

Steel is selling pretty cheap right now. You could contact a supply warehouse and give them your requirements and they can give you advice on what grade and thickness you want. There's a fine line to be walked because you want the steel soft (ductile) enough to deform, but not soft enough to allow penetration. You also don't want it too hard or it will just shatter (like the steel of a file).

We sell a lot to this distributor Steel Warehouse
I'm sure there are others, but I'm not in sales so I can only remember this one.

A couple of years ago Hot Banded Coils were selling for over $1100/ton, now it's somewhere between $500 to $600/ton.

one 4 x 8 sheet of .375 in thick steel will be about 500 pounds
one 4 x 8 sheet of .25 in thick steel will be about 320 pounds

It probably would be best to cut it into smaller pieces and then mount it on the support frames rather than try and handle an entire sheet at one time.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:37 AM
Don't tread on me.

Location: I work hard not to be found, and now Im just listing it to everyone?
Thanked 1,466 Times in 551 Posts

The old clawfoot bathtubs are cast iron. Not bad, then again, a basement is better.
I dont understand the scenario, however. Sounds more fantasy than reality.
If you have money to build a panic room, and you are in that bad of a neighborhood, by all means, MOVE.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobanderson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,195 Times in 528 Posts

I've recently thought about this type of situation as well. We're buying a house and will be pulling down a double-deep 1 car garage size "shed". Thinking of going with a poured concrete floor to use as a shop, but also setup a basement in it for emergency storage and linking that up later with the house through the crawl space. Inside the new shop, I'd also want to setup a faraday cage and whatnot. The hardest part is building it all and hiding it from inspectors.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Shield Up Sword Drawn

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,384 Posts

Using steel actually makes sense. I don't know about a single room but if you put steel in strategic corners, next to a window and next to the door, you will be protected when they shoot through the wall to kill you. If we look at what the FBI, ATF and the military did in Waco, they shot next to the windows and doors knowing that would be the place where their target would be standing. If I remember correctly, the FBI agent that was killed on the roof, the bullets came through the wall from the inside.

Do you have gas masks for everyone in your house? Without gas masks you are screwed.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,032 Times in 936 Posts

If it's only small arms fire (5.56x45, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, etc,.) 3/8th inch would probably be sufficient unless they're armed with AP rounds, then it depends on whether you have hot or cold rolled sheet, or hardened armor plate. a .50 BMG round can penetrate more than 2" of cold rolled and up to 1 1/2" of armor plate. Sloping (angling) the plates would make them harder to penetrate.
A much cheaper alternative to putting in steel plate would be to put dirt ramparts halfway up the outside walls as there is no better bullet stop.
(Ditto on the gas masks).
The Following User Says Thank You to mtncharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 02:43 AM

I went through the "armored walls" thing in my head. Then got the wife and me IIIA vests off Ebay instead. Cops and security guys sell their perfectly good vests cheap when they change jobs or get new ones. The ones I got were like new.
Then I got steel inserts to make them IV vests. Inside our house or bugging out, we're covered.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeoMonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 04:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,527 Times in 4,478 Posts

I can't think of a senerio being visable is absolutely safe.
Ever see the movie "blast from the past".
they lived perfectly under ground as though something actually happened .
Having to come out eventually the difference wouldn't necessarily be so pretty.
The only issue I personally cannot abide by is the potential use of the chip implant.
Prophetically it is the one issue major events man has feared since the prophicy was spoken.
It partially had taken place by the natzis , and most people feared the social security number and credit cards,but it neither was tatooed nor implanted, untill now.
Ever sence 9/11 I knew the ushering in of home land security ment something more than guarding the country. But just a muslams are being given special attention and privlidge and christianity is being bashed, the writing is on the wall. you don't have to believe , simply read the news.
Hiding will only last a while , once the order is implamented no one will be able to buy or sell or hold a job with out the chip.
Like the frog in the beker of water that could jump out at any time, and in his ignorance the flame is lit bringing the temprature up just a little at a time , but not enough to alert him, but by the time he realizes the water is too hot he is listless and compalcent and being cooked alive.
The media is playing games with us ,not being told the truth and redirecting our interests in other areas to distract our attention while the heat is being elevated .
I expect that they are attempting to manouver shch a slow transition we won't have the oppurtunity to run and hide getting use to the heat. I'd like you to look at something going on right now most people ignore. the popularity of tattooing holly wood is presenting the piblic and it is rubbing off every where, I see people even in church getting obscure to very ornate tattoos. Why ? In all my 60 years I have never seen the volume of this craze, untill now. Older adults and Kids are doing it for status symbols; once it's done , it's done .
scoffers blather if you will , ridicuel and jest , but the bible predicted these event. and though we may not undrstand the order in which they are to occur , never the less, You cannot deny what is right now happening in front of you.
Hiding behind something can only last till you run out of counter offensive. then what ? whether it is the government seeking you or the hungry people that did not prepare looking for your provisions with what ever weapons they can find. including fire.
Being visable is a no win situation.
Ignoring the Bible altogether, eternal suicide.
in my opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Hunter

If you are interested in creating a "safe room" in an existing structure on a slab foundation, perhaps steel panels on the outside and sand bags on the inside? The door will be a problem. Heavey enough to stop a 7.62 round would be darn difficult to hang. Can't say as I have ever heard of a Kevlar door? Good Luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to PhotonSD For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm

Thanked 4,848 Times in 1,545 Posts

I would lean towards sand bags myself unless you have a lot of money. You can put the sand bags in and then frame a wall around them and they are out of sight and mind, unless you need them. Plus sand bags are more or less self healing, steel is not.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to crankyfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMonkey View Post
I went through the "armored walls" thing in my head. Then got the wife and me IIIA vests off Ebay instead. Cops and security guys sell their perfectly good vests cheap when they change jobs or get new ones. The ones I got were like new.
Then I got steel inserts to make them IV vests. Inside our house or bugging out, we're covered.
Please tell us, did they smell like coffe and donuts?