Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 PM
pull up your dora pantys

Default Open carry in iowa woohooooo

Advertise Here

starting january 3rd in iowa they are going to start issuing to people that already have conseal permits a new permit to open carry in public also and this is very strange but it also reads you WILL be able to consume alcohol when carrying WTF i dont understand that part but hey i dont care at least we are going to get to open carry this is sweet i still cant belive it....
The Following User Says Thank You to twookey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 09:00 PM
+Adcock

Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,079 Posts

Open carry while loaded and in a ready state?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:26 PM

Pretty much all you need to know about the iowa laws can be found here:

http://iowacarry.org/

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/SF2379_FAQ.pdf

BTW, if you do the reading, you will find that open carry has been previously legal...

---from the dps site: QUESTION: Under the new law, do I have to carry my handgun concealed?
ANSWER: Iowa law has not changed in this regard. You may carry concealed or you may carry openly; however, most permit holders
carry concealed to avoid making it obvious that the person is armed, thus avoiding unnecessary attention, concern, or alarm.

and yes, it will not be illegal to have a couple of pops while carrying....that is; until you reach .08.

OP, please read this thread: http://www.iowacarry.org/forums1/ind...howtopic=19217
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealthy1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Troublesome.

Thanked 1,846 Times in 720 Posts

WOW! I'm shocked! I had to go to Iowa a couple of months ago and researched their concealed weapon(s) laws - they are nearly as ridiculous as Commiefornia. This is a HUGE - MAJOR - gianormus turn around!! WOW!

Congratulations!!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 8,109 Times in 3,230 Posts

Holy sheet...I had NO idea. Thanks for that link!

An Iowa carry permit still allows for the concealed or open carrying of handguns, rifles, and shotguns, excluding those classified by Iowa law as offensive weapons (federal NFA or Class 3). An Iowa carry permit also
allows the concealed carrying of other non-firearm dangerous weapons such as knives with blades in excess of five inches, switchblade knives, Tasers/stun guns, or any other dangerous weapon. NOTE: Non-firearm dangerous weapons may be carried openly without a permit. Non-firearm dangerous weapons may also be regulated by local ordinance that is more stringent than Iowa law.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:15 PM
pull up your dora pantys

well im not sure. what i just watched on the local news it said if you have a permit to carry conceald you will still have to go and get a permitt to carry open and you CAN NOT DO THIS UNTIL AFTER JANUARY 3RD 2011. just go to QCONLINE.COM and do a search for gun permit here you can read all the up todate info or call your local sheriff dont just go and carry that smoke wagon to the gas station on your side just yet.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,339 Posts

I can't believe that the state is going to let people carry a firearm and drink in a bar. Hopefully people act responsible and not give the anti gunners a reason to impose stricter gun laws and more weapon bans. IMHO I think thats their motives, be safe and watch your 6.
pull up your dora pantys

Default open carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jida View Post
Open carry while loaded and in a ready state?
yes as many rounds as you can and even one in the pipe on my kel-tec p11 with no saftey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twookey View Post
well im not sure. what i just watched on the local news it said if you have a permit to carry conceald you will still have to go and get a permitt to carry open and you CAN NOT DO THIS UNTIL AFTER JANUARY 3RD 2011. just go to QCONLINE.COM and do a search for gun permit here you can read all the up todate info or call your local sheriff dont just go and carry that smoke wagon to the gas station on your side just yet.
That's not what the State website says at all. Open carry is on the books now and has been with the permit to carry.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:27 PM
pull up your dora pantys

yep if people dont watch it it will go away. or it may end up like tombstone check you guns at the door. man this is the best news in this state in a long time.i have had my carry permit for four years and just this year they let us put for personal pertection. before it had to be for business, large sums of money, target practice.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
yep if people dont watch it it will go away. or it may end up like tombstone check you guns at the door. man this is the best news in this state in a long time.i have had my carry permit for four years and just this year they let us put for personal pertection. before it had to be for business, large sums of money, target practice.
Large sums of money was the key in the counties I've lived in. Pretty stupid if you ask me...a live is not as worthy of protection as $1200!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:30 PM
pull up your dora pantys

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbern View Post
That's not what the State website says at all. Open carry is on the books now and has been with the permit to carry.
just going by what i saw on the news, i have had my conceal permit for some time now and we were told to never show your gun or you would be charged with brandishing a weapon in public. in the news tonight they said they just passed this dont anyone carry open with out calling your local sheriff dept.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:31 PM
pull up your dora pantys

Quote:
Large sums of money was the key in the counties I've lived in. Pretty stupid if you ask me...a live is not as worthy of protection as $1200!
yep mine is from muscatine county and very easy to get around here.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
just going by what i saw on the news, i have had my conceal permit for some time now and we were told to never show your gun or you would be charged with brandishing a weapon in public. in the news tonight they said they just passed this dont anyone carry open with out calling your local sheriff dept.
They may have said it, but it states the opposite on the State's website. I would tend to trust the state. That doesn't mean that the sheriff couldn't yank your permit for causing disruptions or other garbage...until after the first of January.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:44 PM
pull up your dora pantys

Thumbs up

Quote:
They may have said it, but it states the opposite on the State's website. I would tend to trust the state. That doesn't mean that the sheriff couldn't yank your permit for causing disruptions or other garbage...until after the first of January.
yep im going to call muscatine county sheriffs office tommorow and ask. if i find out i will post on here again to let people know. what part of iowa ya from?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Wether you already have a permit or not under current law, as will be with the new law (SF 2379), there is no provision about concealing. It is a carry law, not a concealed carry law.

There will not be two different permits. A permit to carry after Jan 1 gives you legal means to carry openly or concealed. Perhaps you are misunderstanding the renewal permit process/rules set forth? This can all be verified with the Iowa DPS link provided above. Read through the FAQ. Whether you plan to carry open or concealed, you should become intimately familiar with the laws.

Do not call the sherrif. Some of them have already showed on the records that they don't know the law. I can dig up links if you like, but really, you don't have to go any further than the links I have posted to get your information. Please look through them.

....oh it just dawned on me...qc-online is quad cities where last week or earlier this week there was an article written about the new law. I know why you are confused. The grammar in that "article" was nonsensical. Again, read the State Department of public safety FAQs before believing a single word any two bit paper or uninformed and jilted sheriff has to say about it. The law will be the law, and I am very excited to be able to protect myself and my family instead of getting laughed right out of the anti 2a sheriffs office. I get the last laugh. HAHA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealthy1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
yep im going to call muscatine county sheriffs office tommorow and ask. if i find out i will post on here again to let people know. what part of iowa ya from?
I would have the law in my hand first...so if they say you can't, you can reference the State.

I'm in the Iowa City/CR are...not too far.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:51 PM
pull up your dora pantys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthy1 View Post
Wether you already have a permit or not under current law, as will be with the new law (SF 2379), there is no provision about concealing. It is a carry law, not a concealed carry law.

There will not be two different permits. A permit to carry after Jan 1 gives you legal means to carry openly or concealed. Perhaps you are misunderstanding the renewal permit process/rules set forth? This can all be verified with the Iowa DPS link provided above. Read through the FAQ. Whether you plan to carry open or concealed, you should become intimately familiar with the laws.

Do not call the sherrif. Some of them have already showed on the records that they don't know the law. I can dig up links if you like, but really, you don't have to go any further than the links I have posted to get your information. Please look through them.

....oh it just dawned on me...qc-online is quad cities where last week or earlier this week there was an article written about the new law. I know why you are confused. The grammar in that "article" was nonsensical. Again, read the State Department of public safety FAQs before believing a single word any two bit paper or uninformed and jilted sheriff has to say about it. The law will be the law, and I am very excited to be able to protect myself and my family instead of getting laughed right out of the anti 2a sheriffs office. I get the last laugh. HAHA.
you are correct. i did read about this last week and told people and they were laughing at me like i was some kind of nut.when i say im going to call the sheriffs office that is because my cousin is on the force and is one very cool dude if you get pulled over around here ya hope it is him. i carry conceald every day im a gunsmith and also do blueing and diffrent finshes.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:52 PM
pull up your dora pantys

Quote:
I would have the law in my hand first...so if they say you can't, you can reference the State.

I'm in the Iowa City/CR are...not too far.
cool im twenty miles east of ia city can you say mexiville?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
cool im twenty miles east of ia city can you say mexiville?
Si.

Are you near that place on the highway that sells catfish and turtles?