Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Prepared

Default What is the best inexpensive but sturdy crossbow?

Advertise Here

I'm a fan of primitive weapons. I'm not delusional about them being a major factor is survival preparedness, but I am proud of the accuracy with which I can use the shepherd's sling.

For hunting... I will be using snares... but I'd like to develop the skill of being able to effectively use a crossbow for hunting. The problem I'm having is most of the cross bows I'm finding online are WAY to fancy. They have scopes... some have laser sites and red dots... and a bunch of other crap.

I'd like to find a crossbow that is as basic as possible. I want something that is sturdy and made to last... but I don't want a fancy pulley system and a bunch of extras.

Is there a line of crossbows that is known for being basic and simple in design?

And is there a recommended lbs of pull that is considered optimal?

I am completely ignorant on the subject... so any advice would be appreciated. Plainly, though, I don't want a fancy crossbow. I just want as simple and basic as possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to SofaGeorge For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Recent Blog:
I FEAR COWARDS MOST

Thanked 10,293 Times in 4,364 Posts

I have a varied crossbow collection,...some high-tech, some low-tech.
For low-tech, low maintenance I will steer you toward e-bay and a line of crossbows made through the '50's to the '70's,...the Wham-o Powermaster.
They are well built and accurate, hit hard enough inside archery ranges and are very, very cheap.
I have acquired three of them to date from e-bay and I would bet my total investment is less that $150. They are made from hardwood and have a long lasting aluminium prod. You can attach a fishing reel to the end for bowfishing.
All in all these xbows are light, handy and powerful enough. They are not todays whizz-bang fast, but they will do the job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2rugers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 04:35 PM

Default Power-masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rugers View Post
I have a varied crossbow collection,...some high-tech, some low-tech.
For low-tech, low maintenance I will steer you toward e-bay and a line of crossbows made through the '50's to the '70's,...the Wham-o Powermaster.
They are well built and accurate, hit hard enough inside archery ranges and are very, very cheap.
I have acquired three of them to date from e-bay and I would bet my total investment is less that $150. They are made from hardwood and have a long lasting aluminium prod. You can attach a fishing reel to the end for bowfishing.
All in all these xbows are light, handy and powerful enough. They are not todays whizz-bang fast, but they will do the job.
Apparently the 106 and 108 models got scrutinized for some safety reason though I have no idea what, or of the outcome.

http://classaction.findlaw.com/recal...mar/77028.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelbywrightmate For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Recent Blog:
I FEAR COWARDS MOST

Thanked 10,293 Times in 4,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbywrightmate View Post
Apparently the 106 and 108 models got scrutinized for some safety reason though I have no idea what, or of the outcome.

http://classaction.findlaw.com/recal...mar/77028.html
If I remember correctly, (and I may certainly not be), I think I read or heard somewhere that the string retaining mechanism may not be sturdy enough and may let go inadvertently.
I have never encountered this problem on any of the four I have owned but it is certainly worth noting and taken into consideration.
Treat an x-bow just like a firearm.........never let the muzzle, (or in this case, the pointy end of an arrow), sweep anything unintentional.
Thanks for the heads up Shelbywritemate.

Did a little checking and it seems the latching/ cocking mechanism on certain models may have missed a heat treat which could lead to an accidental release of the string when the safety is switched off.
Use at your own risk and please be safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2rugers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Prepared

What pound pull do you need for basic efficiency? And thanks for the Whamo tip. It looks perfect.

Is there anything still made that is similar?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SofaGeorge For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,176 Times in 3,083 Posts

Hunting weights depend on where your hunting is taking place and to some degree what...For regular archery most places require a 40 lb bow, others require a 45 lb and some others require a 50 lb pull...Crossbows are the same with some locals requiring 175 Lb but most require a minimum 150 lb.

Most of today's makers produce ranges in their crossbows with the primary difference being speed of the arrow not quality of workmanship.

Parker
Barnett
Darton
Excalibur
Horton
PSE

The Crossbowman Den is a good information source for World Crossbow (Target) Shooting Society which have different weight limits and degisn features then The National Crossbowmen of the USA.

Crossbow Review
Crossbow Connection Magazine
Horizontal Bowhunter Magazine
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Prepared

Thanks... really great info.
The Following User Says Thank You to SofaGeorge For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,657 Times in 3,472 Posts

good stuff!!