Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-14-2010, 08:22 PM

Default Alpaca kerosene cooker

Advertise Here

I've only been reading this forum for about 3 months.

every other day or so - with so many post hard to get through all of them

Lazy did not search forum yet

but researched "Alpaca kerosene cooker" on Google and was not impressed.

looking at a single burned multi-fuel, Coleman ($45.) would prefer all fuel Coleman (includes kerosene)

Can kerosene be used in place of white gas or leaded gas in a Coleman multi-fuel single burner unit.

opinions welcome

4$45
Old 11-14-2010, 08:36 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts

Some of the Coleman dual fuel stoves come with a kerosene generator. If it doesn't then you can't use kerosene in them.

Look at the specs on coleman.com to be sure.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:43 PM

read all the coleman.com stuff

i'm asking in practical point of view

says i can't use unleaded in my straight coleman lantern and it does work - limited use
Old 11-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Prepared

Unleaded gas is closer to white gas than kerosene, which is closer to diesel fuel. So I would say that you may be able to burn unleaded gas in your "Gas" Coleman stove, but definitely not kerosene, unless it is listed as one of the acceptable fuels for your "mulitifuel" stove.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,730 Times in 4,662 Posts

The alpaca stove is quite heavy and sturdily built. It use a round wick and has very few moving parts. It should last for decades of use.

My MSR whisper light international comes with a keresene burner, but it is backpacking stove. Very well built but light weight. I would buy the spare parts kit and an extra fuel pump if I planned to use it daily for years.

Coleman builds very good stoves and with care they do last for years of use. I would still buy an extra generator.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:59 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,137 Times in 2,319 Posts

I've got a butterfly kerosene stove that uses mop strands for wicks and a perfection stove that uses perfection stove wicks.

The butterfly stove was developed for 3rd world economies.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 104,691 Times in 33,551 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

It depends on what you're after really. The Alpaca is designed as a home stove more than a camp stove. I have one and it's a fine unit. But it's too large and fumbly to be a camp stove. White gas and kerosene are not the same thing and not compatible. I have white gas camp stoves too. They do their job fine, but are for a different purpose.

I prefer kerosene because it contains a lot more energy per gallon, and it stores a lot better long term. So my Alpaca is my main cooking tool for the home in an emergency. With the camp stoves for vehicle bug out or backup use.

Wood will be my long term cooking fuel. It's always good to have layers if possible, with some plan for long term sustainability.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 AM
Merchant

One reason I prefer kerosene is that it's good to use indoors. White gas and gasoline I've read are more prone to carbon monoxide and other dangerous fumes when burnt so they shouldn't be used indoors. I don't have a definitive test report to validate that but in searching that's what's been reported.

Kerosene has been used indoors all over the world as a cook stove and heater fuel source so I felt more comfortable in finding a good kerosene stove for backup use than other fuels. And their are many better kerosene stoves than the Alpaca.

A good source of info on kerosene cook stoves and heaters is:
http://www.endtimesreport.com/kerosene_cookers.html

A good multi-fuel stove would be the BriteLyt:
http://britelyt.groupee.net/stoves.htm
Old 11-15-2010, 02:03 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzwei View Post
read all the coleman.com stuff

i'm asking in practical point of view

says i can't use unleaded in my straight coleman lantern and it does work - limited use
I've never tried running kerosene in my coleman stoves and from what I've read if you do use it with the white gas/unleaded gas generators it will produce a sooty flame and quickly clog the orifices.

I have a coleman exponent multi fuel stove and can use kerosene if I purchased the optional generator. I would not try and use kerosene with the standard generator because I'd rather not take the chance of failure when I needed it.